[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Stupid and unusual shit we've done and/or do >Have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

ITT: Stupid and unusual shit we've done and/or do

>Have 750tb of SSD, another 120gb of SSD, and a 1tb HDD
>None of them have any OS or MBR or anything on them
>I can't figure out for the life of me how to get the MBR onto the drive I want, every time I try to install more than 1 OS on the drives, it's a total disaster of lost data and wasted time
>Can't ever get GRUB to work right either
>Decide to just fuck it and LiveUSB everything and use the HDDs for storage
>Have Windows 10, Windows XP, Debian Jessie, and Arch all siting on flash drives on my desk
>Just swap flash drives when I need to change OSes
>Keep backups by making images of my flash drives and hoarding them on my HDD

I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed of myself, because it's the ghettoest solution in the world, but it actually works remarkably well. The biggest annoyance is having to click through the Live or Install menu on the Linux distros.
>>
>>59423327

>>>/a/ & >>>/v/

just leave this board already. What do you want here?
>>
>>59423327
Your first mistake was ever trying to use MBR
>>
File: 00059smug.jpg (45KB, 500x281px)
00059smug.jpg
45KB, 500x281px
My main input device is a trackpad even though I have a desktop computer (iMac).
>>
I decided to learn rust
>>
>>59423327
>The biggest annoyance is having to click through the Live or Install menu on the Linux distros.
you couldn't even put actual installs on the usb drives?
damn

i used to have trouble with dualbooting, but it eventually "clicked" and now it's easy as shit
read up on how booting/grub actually work and you might find it's really not as hard as it looks

never depend on automatic solutions, they only work for basic setups
>>
>>59423354
>Just finished watching The Melancholy of Arch and went to play some Madden Windows 10 on LiveUSB
>go on 4chan because the best thing isn't beating the games, it's showing everyone else that I did!
>can't decide /a/ and /v/
>go to /g/ and shitpost just to piss off anon
>>
R u retarded?
When installing remove other HDD
After you're done choose your first boot drive and update grub + os prober and you're done
>>
>>59423327
Learn how to use fdisk ya big dummy

>install windoze
>make an etx4 partition
>install loonix
>install grub
>grub makecfg
>>
i use the middle mouse button on the thinkpad x60 to scroll with
>>
>>59423455
Persistent LiveUSB does everything I need, and I've been told that doing a proper full install onto USB tends to destroy flash drive quickly from all of the write cycles trying to use the flash drive for swap space, among other things.
I just changed the root password, and it all just werks and is persistent.

>>59423530
When I tried exactly that, Debian wrote over Window's MBR, then GRUB wouldn't recognize a Windows install, so when I tried to use a disc to repair the Windows install, the only thing it would allow me to do was revert to an earlier point, wiping the drive Debian was on in the process, without ever restoring the MBR.

At that point I gave up, and over the last months, my collection of LiveUSB OSes has been growing. Gotta catch em all.
>>
>>59423617
You sound like a fucking idiot who doesn't know how to partition

Ubuntu and Debian do everything automagically how the fuck could you fail at this? Is clicking yes on a prompt too hard for you?
>>
>>59423643
I have no idea why Windows originally decided to put its MBR on my 120gb SSD when it was installed to the 750gb SSD.

With three physical drives already in the computer, partitioning them even more would just be a big clusterfuck anyway.
>>
>>59423327
>tfw live the high Life on making custom grub entries by hand
>have 7 different OSes on my grub menu with 5 of them residing inside their respective iso files, and not installed in hard drive
Get on my (reasonably high) level
>>
>>59423327
>None of them have any OS or MBR or anything on them
>I can't figure out for the life of me how to get the MBR onto the drive I want, every time I try to install more than 1 OS on the drives, it's a total disaster of lost data and wasted time
I had this issue before, after a power outage once my computer became unbootable and I used this to fix it
https://www.boyans.net/MoveWindows7BootFilesToAnotherDrive.html
>>
>>59423367
There is literally nothing wrong with MBR
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.