[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let us put an end to this. On what side should these button

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 14

File: thegreatdebate.jpg (30KB, 605x100px) Image search: [Google]
thegreatdebate.jpg
30KB, 605x100px
Let us put an end to this.

On what side should these button be?!!

I prefer 1 tbqh
>>
>>59422194
who cares, don't use them
just cmd w/q
>>
Should be hidden or nonexistent. Learn C-w and M-f4
>>
>>59422194
I don't even have them.
>>
>>59422194
Menus and buttons are always going to be on the left, so it makes sense that those always-present window controls are on the opposite side, so (when there are buttons on the same bar as them) each end of the bar has its set of buttons.

It also makes sense because im the west we're used to look at things from left to right, so having those buttons "at the end" makes more sense than having them "at the start", with the other menu buttons right after.
We should also consider the "weight" that each of the three buttons has, and that it's more intuitive to have the "light" menu buttons of the program on the left, then the heavier system-based window controls at the end, culminating in the heaviest of them all, the X button.

Windows and its programs were different when this decision was taken, so probably they had other reasons than mine, but on today's computing, the Windows one is the best.
>>
>>59422759

your whole argument is based around the fact that its best for things to be on the left but then you say it makes senses that the windows design is the best because its on the right?

what?! isnt the flawless integration of these buttons on the left superior because like you said. We are used to having things from left to right.

You make no sense and confuse this with your own habit and because you learned it that way - naturally it feels better to you.
>>
Obviously the best is not having visible menus at all. However if I have to use exit buttons, and assuming menu buttons are on the top left, then top right is objectively better.
>>
>>59422219
Fucking this.
>>
>>59422219
What if we had an OS where the close / full screen / minimize buttons were visible by default for the average users but hideable for normal users?
>>
Tiling WM's dont have this problem.
>>
>>59422930
>your whole argument is based around the fact that its best for things to be on the left but then you say it makes senses that the windows design is the best because its on the right?
His argument is that the window buttons being on the opposite side means they don't interfere with the menus, which is a pretty solid idea.

It's why window buttons work well on the left on OSX, since the menus are not within the window itself. Since Windows is now using the window border space for additional stuff (like quick access buttons), it's a good idea to keep the window buttons on the right, where they can't be clicked by mistake.

I'm not sure exactly what he meant with "at the end", but it could be argued that having the window close button as the last item instead of it being the first is more fitting. It's definitely a matter of personal preference, though.
>>
>>59422206
>cmd
get the FUCK out.
>>
>>59423038
>what is linux
>>
>>59423079
how new are you? this is an apple board
>>
On the right.
Left is always filled with contextual menus or buttons or tabs. Too easy to misclick and accidentally minimize/close/whatever the program if its on the left.
>>
>>59422194
Number 2. I am not a fking car
>>
>>59423079
>being this salty about cmd on neo /g/
>>
>>59423085
The interface in linux usually freezes when I try to mess around with that stuff too much.
>>
>>59423186
What interface?
>>
File: win31progman3.png (7KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
win31progman3.png
7KB, 640x480px
Reminder that even Windows used to have left-hand controls before they tried being special snowflakes.
>>
This is done on windows/most unix window managers so when you go to hit the file menu you don't accidentally close your window
>>
>>59423250
The Graphical User Interface.
>>
>>59423476

>2017
>using a GUI

lol
>>
File: chrome-youtube-downloader.jpg (67KB, 670x503px) Image search: [Google]
chrome-youtube-downloader.jpg
67KB, 670x503px
>>59422930
Regular software menu bars and buttons are always on the left regardless, so it's best to have the window controls on the opposite side so they each have their own space and can't interfere with each other when they're on the same bar.
If everything was inverted and menus/objects were aligned on the right, then the opposite would be true, and it would be better to have window controls on the left (with the X button as the leftmost), but they won't because while the 3 buttons can be placed anywhere, menus and objects suck when aligned on the right (for obvious reasons).
For example, look at the tabs in a browser.
Aligned on the left and with an empty space on the right (when not too many tabs are used). It only makes sense that the buttons are on the right in the empty space, instead of at the beginning of the bar, before the first tab, which is now offset to make space for the buttons.

>>59423076
By "at the end" I mean that in the west we're psychologically led to see things as starting from the left and ending on the right, so when we have multiple things on the same bar we'll think of the leftmost one as the first and the rightmost one as the last.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear. English isn't my native language.
>>
>>59422194
depends on left vs right handed.
>>
File: BestPosition.png (573KB, 1200x671px) Image search: [Google]
BestPosition.png
573KB, 1200x671px
>>59422194
>Two thousand plus sixteen plus one
>Not having your buttons somewhere far from the corner
>>
>>59423907
the single most retarded way besides having them in the center of the window or randomly scattered around it.
>>
>>59422194
Most people are right handed so it makes sense that the controls are on your right side.

Faggots are backwards thinking, that's why they have controls on the left side, including a button that you have to press 3 times for full screen. Truly a faggots way of thinking.
>>
>>59423488
Go back to the 1980s to faggot
>>
>>59423783
>>
File: George-W-Bush.jpg (2MB, 2267x3000px) Image search: [Google]
George-W-Bush.jpg
2MB, 2267x3000px
Use tmux like a man.
>>
>>59422194
>I prefer 1 tbqh
Did you mean 7?
I prefer backwards s
>>
>>59423363
sauce?
>>
>>59422194
>waste of screen space
>>
>>59422194
im right handed, so right is more natural for me.
>>
File: file.png (8KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
8KB, 640x400px
>>59422194
>>
>>59423783
Look at tabs in Safari. They do not interfere with the window control buttons.
>>
>>59426842
That's only because they're on a separate bar, which is not what I'm talking about here.
I'm talking about the cases where tabs, buttons, and such are on the same bar.
>>
File: a.png (44KB, 810x697px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
44KB, 810x697px
>>59423328
what do you mean used to? they still have the top-left control.
>>
File: pretend im tyrone.png (46KB, 500x879px) Image search: [Google]
pretend im tyrone.png
46KB, 500x879px
who the fug cares?
[spoiler]autistic people[/spoiler]
>>
>>59426866
But buttons are on the same bar as the window buttons. Just tabs aren't. You're not supposed to put content on the window bar. That bar is meant for dragging around the window, and controlling it and it's content.
>>
>>59426939
It's one of the few cases where it's not THAT bad (because other than the window buttons, the leftmost ones are the back and forward, which aren't always the leftmost ones), but it would still be better (albeit marginally) if it was on the right, because of the reasons I've talked about before.

Also this is just an exception (which is also made by the same company, so obviously they're going to design it to be perfectly integrated with it).
>>
>>59426991
Chrome is an exception because it's google's material design in macOS' content centric design. Google just refuses to follow Apple's design nowadays, leading to seemingly out of place android apps on iOS and Windows esque programs on macOS.
>>
>>59427071
I don't use MacOS, so I take your word on that.

It's only going to get worse in the future though, with more and more programs that put stuff in the title bar to save space like it happened with Windows in the last 10 years or so.
>>
>>59427104
Most native macOS apps don't suffer from it though, it's just from people porting over Windows programs. I wouldn't say it would get worse. No apps on my Mac has such clashing design philosophies as Chrome, which I barely use anyways.
>>
>>59427177
>Most native macOS apps don't suffer from it though, it's just from people porting over Windows programs
Yeah, obviously native ones are going to be perfect.
I'm talking about third party software.
>>
>>59422194
Why would you use a window stacking environment. If you could use a superior tiling environment. You baka gajin.
>>
File: thirdpartyexample.png (44KB, 1930x76px) Image search: [Google]
thirdpartyexample.png
44KB, 1930x76px
>>59427206
The only real noticeable that's out of date are the Adobe apps now, they just haven't updated their GUI really, doesn't utilize the full screen mode built into the OS, doesn't support the OS' Auto Save and Versions features, etc. Other than that, third party software most of the times are fine.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (67KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
67KB, 1280x800px
>>59427248
Let's hope it stays this way then (which I doubt).
>>
File: difference.png (122KB, 2620x337px) Image search: [Google]
difference.png
122KB, 2620x337px
>>59427206
Some third party software even have better versions for macOS.
>>
>>59427353
Debatable.
I think the Windows one is actually better, but that's subjective, so there's no point arguing.

Somebody should go and make this thread on /gd/ and see what they think.
>>
>>59422194
Right. Also window titles should be centered. I hate that Microsoft went back to the old boring left side placement in 10.
>>
seeing as windows invented gui I think they are allowed to choose
>>
>>59428015
First mac with GUI came before the first Windows version.
>>
>>59422206
On mac I do the same. On windows I use the mouse.

I think I prefer using keyboard shortcuts to close tabs and windows, but on windows the shortcut to exit programs is often Alt+F4 which is kind of uncomfortable to reach.
>>
>>59422194
In the middle.
>>
>>59422194
All logic says they should be on the top right. If you disagree you are objectively wrong.
>>
>>59422194
In the middle

>>59428774
>logic
No
>objectively
Subjectively*
>>
I have my taskbar on the left so naturally I would want the buttons to be opposite of that to avoid misclicking
>>
>>59422194
newfags don't even close windows with hotkeys.

I thought you were /g/
>>
>>59430466
My distro has `file` use Gnome MIME types, which depend on the file extension.

Fuck gnome.
>>
They should just be on the opposite from everything else, i.e. other menus, so you don't click something else by mistake.

Also, they should definitely be clickable all the way to the edges so that it is easier to hit it with the cursor (because your mouse won't pass the target).
>>
>>59430537
Shit, wrong thread
>>
>>59422194
>"these button"
kill yourself
>>
File: glasses.gif (457KB, 390x293px) Image search: [Google]
glasses.gif
457KB, 390x293px
>>59422194
>1000*2+17+1-2+1
>not using i3
>>
File: IMG_3319.png (12KB, 272x362px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3319.png
12KB, 272x362px
>>59422194
>clicking on GUI elements like a fucking orangutan
>>
I can adapt to both.
>>
>>59425856
>I'm too stupid to use commands so I'll call people who are older and more knowledge than me old and stupid heh showed you didn't i
>>
>>59423363
I've been waiting 10 years for this game
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.