[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody else here likes programming but is apparently shit at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: 1394016927216.jpg (40KB, 412x408px) Image search: [Google]
1394016927216.jpg
40KB, 412x408px
Anybody else here likes programming but is apparently shit at it?

I've been working for 6 months now (c++) and the work environment is so shit it's tearing my soul apart. Some people have their heads so far up their assess it's really hard to talk to them without being looked down upon.

Here's a situation I've found myself in a couple of times by now:

>no documentation available in the project
>get assigned a bug to fix
>it involves code I didn't write
>sit on it for days and try to decypher the bullshit around it
>turns out there's something wrong in the part of someone else's code
>work around it and send the fix to code review
>it gets accepted without any notes
>days later
>guy who accepted my code mentions to someone else that the part I wrote is badly coded
>mentions a solution that would only be known to someone who wrote that fucking code in the first place (him btw)
>tells me multiple times that I don't fix problems the right way

Who's in the wrong here? How do I get better? Can you grow a thicker skin for that kind of bullshit? How do I get back at that cocksucker?
>>
Why didn't he write it bug free in the first place?

Challenge him to a duel
>>
I realized that I don't like programming and switched careers
>>
>>59419924
What are you doing now?
>>
>>59419899
Why did you keep silent about the shit code instead of reporting the bigger problem and consulting them for instructions?
>>
Uh I just did that to someone in my company, is your name Alan?
>>
>>59419853

No need to make a competition out of it.

Give him some nasty template magic full of custom made shit and ask him to fix something, then go on vacations for two weeks.
>>
>>59419853
>turns out there's something wrong in the part of someone else's code
>work around it and send the fix to code review
what the fuck ? why would you write a fucking workaround instead of opening a ticket for the actual bug ? you didn't fix anything, you just created more potential problems
>>
>>59419937
going to trade school
>>
>>59419946
Because the guy already handles around 60% of the work in the project and every time I ask for help I feel like someone's gonna think I'm bad or trying to get someone else to do my work. Jokes on me, their opinion of me already sucks.
>>
>>59419853
Just get out of c++ while you still can, the more hipster the language, the better the people working on it is.

People who use new and more powerful tools are generally less autistic and thus easier to work with.
>>
>>59420018
until their shitty startup fails after ~1year
>>
at least you're getting paid.

programming was never meant to be fun activity. Maybe it was fun the first few years as a hobby, but even then you eventually discover the optimum programming method is copy pasting preexisting algorithms from manuals.

You then get burnt out around 25 and never want to touch code again. It's better to research work life balance and learning to manage time then it won't bother you so much
>>
Growing up from age 13-22 I wanted to game dev. I would usually pickup something and learn it for a week at most and then drop it and go play games because it's easier to have fun than learn and get stuck on problems. I did that literally for 9 years. all the while of going to public college and got a+ certified and wanted to go further in Certs. I ended up getting a girlfriend and i wanted to get money faster instead of shit tier jobs instead of waiting 2 years and then getting an internship. and I wanted a job that I could count on and was reliable so I spent $14k on school for HVAC (payed with money I saved over the years). Now I do commercial refrigeration and I'm currently posted in my van.

I still open unity or ue4 a few times a month or go to the Wolfenstein ET source and make a fun mod. But the point I'm trying to make is that I wouldn't work for someone else as a programmer or developer. It is something you need to do for yourself.

P.s. My girlfriend is pregnant so this change of career was good for me.
>>
>>59419853

i like programming but the people in it are fucking awful

its full of know-it-all autists who think they can't do anything wrong ever
>>
File: 1483497896838.jpg (124KB, 640x575px) Image search: [Google]
1483497896838.jpg
124KB, 640x575px
>>59420036
>tfw programming is fun and I've been doing it all day for free for years
>>
If you like programming don't use c++

Really unless you know why you need any C language, you don't need it. If you like programming you probably don't like doing garbage collection, pointers etc.

To get into it just use python or at least Java. Then if you want to make something that really requires raw computing power move to C. Or maybe just write parts of it in C
>>
>>59420070
I feel you brother.
>>
>>59420094
I actually like the language and the power it offers but I can't bring myself to read a fucking book on it.
>>
>>59420031
You need to choose between Ruby spaghetti code written by hispters who can't code and unmaintainable legacy C code written by 50 year olds who think everyone except themselves can't code.

At least Ruby is readable and easy to debug no matter how bad it's written
>>
>>59420094
is there actually anything relevant written in python thats not some quick n dirty script or unit test ?
>>
>>59420151
Google crawlers
>>
>>59420158
nothing except some references to webcrawlers.
>>
File: 1483480764727.jpg (57KB, 482x549px) Image search: [Google]
1483480764727.jpg
57KB, 482x549px
>tfw working as a programmer
>tfw slow worker
>tfw wageslaved for 16 hours straight today
Thinking of killing myself to be quite frank.
>>
>>59420151
Also YouTube, Dropbox and it's actually widely used in academia for mid level data analysis that is too heavy for Excell. (I don't mean like simulations which obviously are programmed in lower language)
>>
>>59420197
> it's actually widely used in academia for mid level data analysis that is too heavy for Excell
i know, but that qualifies as quick n dirty script to do one thing and not some application you would distribute and release like that.
>>
>>59420186
What the fuck man. I always get out of work as soon as I reach excactly 8 hours.
>>
File: 1427923246319.jpg (92KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1427923246319.jpg
92KB, 1280x720px
>>59420231
Don't want to shit on other people on my team by not doing enough, so I always stay late so I'm not behind on my tasks.
>>
>>59420219
Yeah true. Python serves it purpose but if I were to go and publish software I would rather use Java or maybe C++
>>
>>59420069
how much do you make?
>>
>>59419853
Honestly, you just have to accept the fact that all programmers are snobs
>>
>>59419984
I read it as he fixed the bug and not just go over it.
>>
>>59420349
$20 an hour as my first job.

I'm just sitting my van sleeping for the past hour and a half and pretending to do work. I'm doing the work but I'm just expanding the time.
>>
>>59419853
You are new, purpose of code review, is well, to review the code, provide pointers and suggestions.

Your coworker sounds like an autistic cunt.

I moved out of C++ into C# backend webservices, companies are a lot more laid back, and coworkers are a lot better.
>>
Any company still using C++ isn't worth working for.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.