[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is ARM desktop Linux computing not the future platform of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0212.jpg (38KB, 344x312px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0212.jpg
38KB, 344x312px
Why is ARM desktop Linux computing not the future platform of choice for most people. It's cheap, powerful and effective.
>>
>>59407805

I have no fucking idea.
>>
It's not familiar. The majority of people see Linux and immediately get turned off by the fact that they may need to use the command line every once in a while.
>>
File: photo_2017-03-14_15-42-47.jpg (11KB, 222x293px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-03-14_15-42-47.jpg
11KB, 222x293px
>powerful
>effective
>>
>>59407885
It is for most people, who just want email, office tasks, and facebook.
>>
>>59407805
>cheap
>Jetson TX2
I get what you're saying, but pick one and only one.
>>
>>59407939
yeah well fuck most people
>>
>>59407805
It's only cheap. The instruction sets make them much less capabale than x86 for anything besides clerical work, with floating point calculations and extended instruction sets giving x86 a huge advantage.
>>
>>59407805
If ARM servers ever become a thing I think there is a very good chance that ARM based desktops could flourish. Linux jumping on that wagon will probably be in a form similar to android.
>>
>>59407942
I'm sure they could make a consumer a Tegra Pascal one for very cheap
>>
Doesn't the problem of most applications being for x86 and therefore not working on ARM still apply on linux?
>>
>>59407957
Which floating point and "extended instructions" are you missing, exactly?
>>
>>59408003
>most applications being for x86
That only affects non-free, and therefore evil and useless, software which you shouldn't use anyway.
>>
>>59407965
>Linux jumping on that wagon will probably be in a form similar to android.

Linux will fail just as miserably as always. Android has shown you how to do software management with single files and that Linux operating systems can be done without the user ever seeing a command line. None of this will be adopted to desktop distros because they would all need to standardize on it and they will autist out on "my implementation is better" or "the existing implementation is better" until the end of time.
>>
>>59408042
What if a tech giant like google sets the standard by showing how it's done and leading the way?
>>
>>59407805
It's cheap. This is all it has going for it. Manufactures target one version of Android, then drop all support when they want to sell new hardware. Extending the life of old hardware is the last thing they want to do. ARM fights tooth and nail to keep people from reverse engineering Mali. They don't want to support GNU/Linux. They don't need it. People like Luc Verhaegen are a thorn in their side. Listen to them continue to dodge questions regarding GNU/Linux drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPjSm_98rgo
>>
Because Qualcomm's IMX8 isn't out yet.
>>
>>59408240
>OpenGl 3.0

To the bin
>>
>>59408310

Vivante is your best, and possibly only, bet for gpl drivers/firmware.
>>
>>59407805
>Why is ARM desktop Linux computing not the future platform of choice for most people.
Because both linux and ARM are dogshit for desktop.

>It's cheap
Because performance is incredibly dogshit on par with intel celerons.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.