[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Signal Video and Opus Audio calling officially in stable branch;

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 3

>We recently released encrypted video calling as an opt-in beta. We've spent the past month collecting feedback and addressing the issues that the Signal community found in order to get it production ready. Today's Signal release for Android and iOS enables support for end-to-end encrypted video calls by default, which also greatly enhances the quality of Signal voice calls as well.

>In the past, Signal calls always relayed the client media streams through the Signal service. With these updates, Signal can attempt to establish a "peer-to-peer" connection for the call. This has the advantage of reducing call latency, but also has the potential disadvantage of exposing your IP address to the remote calling peer.

>Since IP addresses can often be used to determine rough location (such as a metro area), we want to prevent the ability for anyone to discover your location information simply by initiating a Signal call with you. By default, Signal will only attempt to establish a P2P connection if you are initiating the call or if you are receiving a call from someone in your contacts. If you are receiving a call from someone not in your address book, Signal will relay that call through the Signal service.

>Additionally, there is a setting which will relay all calls through the Signal service if enabled.

>Today, Open Whisper Systems (the team behind Signal) set up a way for people to install the official Signal Android client from outside of the Google Play Store: https://signal.org/android/apk/

When announcing it on the OWS Community Forum, Moxie Marlinspike said that this is a "harm reduction strategy since people are already running random APKs signed by other random people".

https://whispersystems.org/blog/signal-video-calls/
>>
>I need to install Chrome to use if for desktop

no thanks
>>
no fuck signal and fuck you
>>
>>59395668
Solid reasoning. You got no friends anyway, why use a messenger, right?
>>
>>59395668
>he uses Telegram
>>
>>59395722
>XMPP exists
>Still relying on signals closed source server side software
>implying they won't give all your metadata and whatever other logs they store when the FBI, NSA and CIA come knocking,
>implying the CIA and NSA hasn't already installed backdoors in their shit servers
>implying anyone who actually cares about security trusts Signal
>>
>>59395837
>implying they won't give all your metadata and whatever other logs they store when the FBI, NSA and CIA come knocking,

The FBI already tried this. Nothing happened.

>There was, however, one small problem. OWS is deliberately designed to be private and secure, and the firm doesn't store that kind of data about its users. So instead of a mass data dump, the Feds only got when the user's account was created and the last time it was used, and then only for one of the suspects.

https://whispersystems.org/bigbrother/eastern-virginia-grand-jury/
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/10/fbi-demands-signal-user-data-but-theres-not-much-to-hand-over/
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/04/whisper_systems_signal_subpoena/

What's your argument now, neet?
>>
>>59395654
They are getting a standalone desktop version soonish. Chrome apps are being phased out.
>>
>>59396050
probably electron garbage, right?
>>
>>59396087
Maybe, maybe not. It's not public yet.
>>
>>59395924
Because they'd never lie right? Good goy. Trust a faceless entity with your data.
>>
>>59396179
>being this in denial

Stay retarded
>>
>>59396311
I run my own XMPP server you fucking loser.
>>
>>59395239
Conversations> wire> signal> telegram> whatsapp.
>>
>>59396413
With shit encryption. Good job.
>>
>>59395239
Unless there is a desktop version without phone number, no use.
>>
I wish Tox gets more development though.
I think p2p is the future.
>>
Hello CIA
>>
>>59396496
>no use
You mean "useless", pajeet?
>>
>>59396496
>desktop version
coming soon

>without phone number
pretty likely this will happen this year or next
>>
>>59396482
>TLS1.2 and OMEMO
>shit encryption
kek
>>
>>59396513
>I think p2p is the future.

Tox has pretty much been replaced by Matrix.
>>
>>59396542
>The OMEMO protocol is an adaptation of the Signal Protocol, created by Open Whisper Systems. OMEMO is designed to work in an XMPP environment, where users can have multiple devices with which they want to communicate with each other.

Good thing Signal exists otherwise you'd have shit security.

Say thanks.
>>
>>59396577
No one saying Signal has shit encryption. The fact that you can't run your own server, have to use a phone number, no desktop client, etc are the reason people using XMPP aren't willing to change. Self hosted XMPP with Conversations is the most secure messenger getting around right now. It's not an argument, it simply is.
>>
>>59396577
I had TLS with perfect forward secrecy and all the fancy stuff, end-to-end encryption is just a plus because unlike you, I own my server.
Kill yourself now.
>>
>>59396610
>you can't run your own server, have to use a phone number, no desktop client,

All these things are coming.
>>
>>59396625
When they do I'm happy to make the switch mate, until then, we'll see what happens.
>>
>>59396539
Thanks
>>59396547
Link? Is there a /g/ group?
>>
>>59396625
I highly doubt they'll let you run your own server. Look at libreSignal getting shafted. Signal is pseudo security and a placebo for plebs
>>
>>59395239
Why should they not always use p2p and Tor? Why should it go through them?
>>
Wire looks nicer.
>>
>>59396654
No /g/ group but you can just google for info.
>>
>>59396413
>>59396419
>>59396542
>>59396610
>Conversations

No calls. No download. I need to call people too, not autistically type to them like a child.
>>
>harm reduction strategy
Finally. Sounds good to me, senpai.
>>
>>59396718
Don't expect full security and privacy then champ
>>
>>59396547
>Matrix
Seems good, thanks.
It asks for email for registering though? (In tox you just get a tox id).
>>
>>59396741
How many people do you speak to on Conversations, excluding your mommy?
>>
>>59396764
>How many people do you speak to on Signal, excluding your mommy?
REKT
>>
>>59396759
It clearly says optional, dude.

In case you forget your password. making it normie friendly because only normies would forget that.
>>
>>59396782
Thanks.
>>
>>59396781
Signal is easy to get people to join because its all over the news. My parents even asked me about it. I have half of my friends, parents, and a few relatives overseas on it.

Meanwhile, nobody talks about Conversations.
>>
>>59396800
>half of my friends, parents, and a few relatives overseas on it.
so about 5 people, got it
>>
>>59396764
Does it matter how many people I talk to or that the people I do talk to, and I, don't have to worry about whatever we're talking about being seen, logged or tracked by a three letter agency or a faceless corp.
>>
>>59396861
That's a concept too hard to understand for signal drones.
>>
>>59396819
19, actually.

How many do you have on Conversations?

You know...people you know IRL? Not your little neet friends you met on /g/ and your gaymur groups.
>>
>>59396861
>Does it matter how many people I talk to or that the people I do talk to

Yes because Conversations/OMEMO doesn't really matter if you only IM your mommy for tendies.
>>
Wire is the /g/-approved private messenger with voice/video call (and group capability) app extraordinaire.

Signal is good, but it's not as capable and nice looking.
>>
Always the same thread with one guy being half the posts. Consider suicide if you are not getting paid for this.
>>
>>59396898
>>59396881
Us telling you any information about who or what I talk about completely defeats the purpose of using self hosted xmpp and conversations.

You're simply wrong, I can't explain it any clearer. Your service is inferior to ours, sure you can voice call but it's not secure. I happily sacrifice voice calls for more security.

You can talk to normies about whatever the fuck you want but i'm sure it's not that important you need to use a self hosted server to discuss.

I know it's hard for you to understand since you're so insignificant but people here actually are relatively important and actually do things in their lives that they don't want nefarious entities watching.
>>
>>59396924
Wire is only used by fags who want to replace Skype. Riot/Matrix is more of a /g/ approved option than Wire.
>>
>>59396924
>Wire

Poorly made, corporate Signal knockoff that.

>OWS has objected to Wire’s claim that it is built on the Signal protocol, and Wire has since clarified that its crypto is built upon the Axolotl protocol — a forerunner to the Signal protocol. “At the time of Wire introducing E2EE (March 2016) Signal used Axolotl protocol which they later renamed to Signal Protocol,” says a Wire spokesman. However OWS’ Moxie Marlinspike, who authored the Signal protocol, maintains that Axolotl is just a part of it. “The Signal protocol is composed of many pieces that we developed, one of which was called the Axolotl Ratchet,” he tells TechCrunch. “That has since been updated and renamed to the Double Ratchet, which is specified here. So they are correct that Wire is using an (old, outdated, and incorrectly applied) implementation of the Double Ratchet as part of Proteus, but that is only one small sliver of Signal Protocol. Proteus is not a Signal Protocol implementation.”

>(It’s also worth noting that OWS previously made allegations of copyright infringement against Wire, while Wire alleged an extortion attempt regarding licensing fees (denied by OWS). Although Wire’s suit was subsequently dropped. The company also agreed to include some lines in its copyright notice at Marlinspike’s request, specifying its protocol is “Based on libsignal-protocol-java by Open Whisper Systems”).

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/16/encrypted-messaging-app-wire-adds-usernames-so-you-can-limit-what-you-share-with-contacts/
>>
>>59396993
Their audit speaks for itself.
>>
>>59397019
>We for example found that invalid public keys could be transmitted and processed without raising an error. As a consequence, the shared secret negotiated by communicating parties becomes predictable, which in turns weakens security guarantees in terms of “break-in recovery”. The root cause of this issue is a bug in a third-party component (neglect to verify an error code). We recommend that this issue be fixed, and that other security improvements be implemented to address thread-unsafety risks, sensitive data in memory, and other aspects as described in this report.

Yeah, sorry but the audit even says they are lazy and just use buggy 3rd party libs without actually checking to see if they work.

Wire is a hackjob.
>>
>>59397053
They've fixed that though. Check their github.

What else?
>>
>>59397081
It shows their dev team is poorly cobbling together security libs to make something and it had a lot of issues that the audit had to point out. They don't really know what they are doing.

Did you see any of Signal's audits pointing out tons of flaws like this? Nope.
>>
>>59397103
>Did you see any of Signal's audits pointing out tons of flaws like this?
Please share them so that I may shred them.
>>
>>59397134
Go for it
https://threatpost.com/signal-audit-reveals-protocol-cryptographically-sound/121892/

There is a reason that WIRE and OMEMO have to copy Signal's protocol and not the other way around. Wire is so fucking inept that they copied an outdated version of the protocol, kek
>>
>>59397166
Oh, we're still on that thing that was fixed. I thought you had something else.

Guess we're done here.
>>
File: 1376721303189.jpg (77KB, 674x505px) Image search: [Google]
1376721303189.jpg
77KB, 674x505px
>>59397235
What did you expect? Signal fags exhibit the very thing that is wrong in whole whole Signal community, from Moxie to the whole dev team they are basically the antithesis of what a FLOSS project should be: personal worship instead of meritocracy, bitchy dissing all competition simply because they do things different, and a saviour complex in general.
>>
>>59397279
I support Signal but I also want what you guys want. The phone number thing is probably the biggest hurdle to /g/ using it.
>>
>>59397279
I was just trolling for information actually. I have no idea if Wire has fixed that thing or not. I simply lied to see if I would be corrected. If Signal is better than Wire then I don't mind, I just want the best.

Unfortunately I'm too lazy to do my own research.
>>
>>59397295
>The phone number thing is probably the biggest hurdle to /g/ using it.
It's the hurdle to any person needing actual privacy.

If you're actually working as a whistleblower or some counter-government stuff you are never going to tie your phone number to the very identity and tool that you're using for all the illegal stuff.
>>
>>59397305
The whole thing about Wire is just stupid.

It's fucking open source. Patches fucking welcome.

Their server code is getting open sourced as well later this quarter. Can't say the same about Signal, which to this day still runs on partially proprietary server code.
>>
>>59397315
>If you're actually working as a whistleblower or some counter-government stuff you are never going to tie your phone number to the very identity and tool that you're using for all the illegal stuff.

It was never meant to be a counter espionage tool. It was just meant to be a "keep your friends and family safe from snooping" tool.

However, it can become a tool for everybody if we support it and stop trying to create 9999 different messengers of varying functionality and support, especially when many of those messengers are literally using the Signal protocol or creating adaptations of the Signal problem.
>>
Just gonna drop this here
https://crysp.uwaterloo.ca/opinion/wire/
>>
>>59397330
Open source =/= secure

Signal's server code is also being open sourced when somebody comes up with a proof of concept for federation.
>>
>>59397430
Cool story
>>
Wickr -> Signal

>Tied to phone number
>Password protection optional on android
>No password protection possible on iOS
>No big pay day for people to report holes.

Wickr just need to enable voice calling already desu.
>>
>>59397413

Once Signal makes a non shit UI everyone will use it
>>
If I need complete privacy, preferably p2p , tor support, what should I use, /g/?
>>
>>59397603
tox, bit of a trainwreck in regard to direction and the crypto lib is a bit how you going. I think it uses NaCl
>>
>>59396050
> They are getting a standalone desktop version soonish.
What are you basing this on? Are there any notes/talks about it? Share a link if you have one, please.
>>
>>59397603
>complete privacy
i2p-bote
>>
>>59396960
we get it, you set up xmpp on your $5 p/m VPS using Linode and following some guide a Pajeet wrote. Fucking clap clap clap.

Good grief.
>>
>>59397765
>falling for the decentralization is bad meme
>>
>>59397963
Didn't say that at all, but okay.
>>
>>59396764
you do realize there is an official /g/ xmpp muc right?

[email protected]

I doubt you'll be intelligent enough to join it though. You probably can't even create an xmpp account without someone more knowledgeable holding your little hand.
>>
>>59397632
>>59397603
>tox, bit of a trainwreck in regard to direction and the crypto lib is a bit how you going. I think it uses NaCl

Tox leaks your IP. You want Matrix instead.
>>
>>59397644
Read the Signal forum. The Chrome apps being phased out issue is the big reason it is happening but also because they want to be competitive and are getting massive demand from people who work at their desktop.
>>
>>59398200
I'll talk to you on it if you are there. Anybody can use Pidgin to register on Creep and then click join room to see the roomlist after you signed into Creep.
>>
>>59398200
Do you need to appear so condescending, is that like a prerequisite for being an xmpp admin? Not the anon you're replying to, but it's not that difficult to set up the server, and even less so to connect to it.
>>
>>59398200
Oh and what does that have to do with the fact that you only have your mommy on your buddy list?
>>
>>59395239
>>Today, Open Whisper Systems (the team behind Signal) set up a way for people to install the official Signal Android client from outside of the Google Play Store: https://signal.org/android/apk/

PRAISE THE FREEDOM LORD
>>
>>59398288
>pidgin
you wont be able to join the omemo muc unless you use conversations or gajim with the omemo plugin.
>>
>>59398304
The muc has like 10 active users so far....
>>
>>59398380
He said the 4chan one so who cares?
>>
>>59398249
I see no official statement regardless signal on desktop after chrome apps being phased out in early 2018, only some kind of community forks (that can stop working if moxie doesn't like something, or there is some movement on the moon), so if you are basing your assumptions on that unofficial ports - it's nothing like `soonish`.
>>
>>59398559
Hence the ish. It is in the works, though. They can't rely on Chromebotnet forever or people would get mad.
>>
>>59398674
> They can't rely on Chromebotnet forever or people would get mad.
Well. if all they do is change chromebotnet to electron/muno - it's not much better in any way (it will, however, be much better in average user view), cause they still be using chromium code underneath. It have some pluses, like easy to deploy version for any os, but still, c/c++ application will be much preferred, guess they just don't have so many resources to implement this/don't want to.
>>
>>59398728
That's why one of us should get hired to make it for them.

Wait...I forgot I'm on /g/
>>
>>59397765
kek
>>
>>59397765
We get it, you suck moxie's cut cock for free.
>>
>>59396610
>>59396625
I thought there already was a desktop client, though.
>>
>>59396547
>Matrix
As in, Matrix Telecom & Security Solutions Company? I can't find anything like tox when I search Matrix.
>>
>>59400952
No. It's a Chrome app that syncs to the phone app, like a proxy. It's shit, like the one Whatsapp uses.
>>
>>59400966
https://matrix.org/
>>
>>59396983
>Riot

Nice working encryption you have there.
They even renamed the app to make it easier to search for and more friendly yet they named it after a really big and hated company.
>>
Does /g/ approve of Discord?
>>
>>59401511
The gaymers do, they think security isn't necessary.
>>
>>59401511
No
>>
>>59401543
What kind of security does Discord use?
>>
>>59401511
I wouldn't send sensitive shit over it but it's the best chat application for gaming.
>>
>>59401632
https://feedback.discordapp.com/forums/326712-discord-dream-land/suggestions/17094256-implement-whispersystems-encryption-for-voice-and
>Files are stored unencrypted to allow easy access (to those users who can access those files) for our users at any time, just like the text messages.
Literally no security beyond SSL.
>>59401671
>it's the best chat application for gaming.
What makes it good for gaming in particular? I like the controls they give you with servers, but I don't see why things like that would exclusively be useful for gamers.
>>
>>59401743
Well you can use it for other things but it works great for gaming. It's like Slack but with a central account that you can easily join and leave communities with.
>>
>>59395239
>still demands your real world identity and transmits/stores it unprotected

So the gov doesn't have your communications, but they have a list of everyone you talk to and how often, so they know whether to target you with more direct methods.
>>
>>59401999
Source?
>>
>>59395239
Fuck off signal shill

No want to use you shit Snowden meme.

>Was Snowden approved even though it requires Google services,and went through a middle man propriatry server to interconnect people,it use you cellphone number

You should be banned
>>
>>59402015
What
>>
>>59401999
Nobody gives a fuck about you
>>
>>59401511
no
>>
File: memeshark.png (435KB, 547x397px) Image search: [Google]
memeshark.png
435KB, 547x397px
>>59395239
>talked gf into signal
>finally have one signal contact
Feels good man
>>
>>59402991
You made an absurd claim so I asked for a source on the information.
>>
>>59396413
Yeah because you can make all your friends and family install your kinky server which you THINK to be safe (it's probably a spaghetti code hell with unrespected protocols) instead of just saying "download this app" whose encryption has been tested by the biggest experts and is virtually impossible to break.

But yeah, you don't have friends and your mother can communicate with you via screaming as you live in her basement so it's no big deal.
>>
>>59396542
>TLS1.2 and OMEMO which you don't know how to properly implement
>>
Why no desktop versions?
>>
Funny how people talks about self made servers (whose quality I always doubt but details) as safe options. Moxie from Open Whispers Systems said clearly that if someone wants to be anonymous he knows what to do, but Signal's greatness comes from the fact that it's a solid, well made and easy to use and access app that everyone can just download to their smartphone and use to have all the security they need. It's easy to make your family and friends switch to it, and you know for sure that it's properly implemented as the best cryptographers in the world confirmed it's quality.
If you can do the same by NEETing on your own server, that's good, but it's overkill when you have already a tool which does this greatly.

And oh, for those who say they don't need encryption as they run their own server: I hope no one ever sniffs where the actual data runs through.
Thread posts: 116
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.