[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is it possible to get into the IT field, in a minor case, if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1487695103205.jpg (63KB, 752x423px) Image search: [Google]
1487695103205.jpg
63KB, 752x423px
is it possible to get into the IT field, in a minor case, if you don't have any actual IT experience or a degree? I have been into computers for years, can do basic troubleshooting, know my way around Windows, MacOS and Linux, and can troubleshoot parts and build towers, etc. but it's all personal experience.

The reason I ask is because I work at Best Buy for a measley $10.92 and I feel like my skills are being underutilized and I'm being paid like shit. I am the most knowledgeable employee they have in the store and i'm like 99% sure I'm the least paid. But it's the only actual local job in tech that I could apply for. I live in a small town in california, and besides the big box stores like walmart and target, BB is the only tech store we have. I thought maybe the local college could use someone else for their IT department because the teachers are technologically illiterate and can hardly figure out how to turn on their projectors, but I don't know how to go about looking for similar jobs. I know some of you guys work in IT so I was hoping to hear some stories. thanks
>>
No.
>>
>>59391125
so what should I do? Go work in fast food and jump off a bridge ASAP? Move to LA? Keep being paid like shit until I have a degree?
>>
>I am the most knowledgeable employee they have in the store and i'm like 99% sure I'm the least paid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
>>
>>59391117
>>>/adv/
>>
File: 1478909027250.png (51KB, 397x379px) Image search: [Google]
1478909027250.png
51KB, 397x379px
>>59391117
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59391176
I was struggling to decide to post there or here but i figured i'd get more advice from actual people in technology jobs here. apologies

>>59391174
Maybe not the MOST knowledgeable, but I 100% am more tech-savvy than most of my coworkers. One of them freaked out when I opened up one of the fucking computers for a customer. The geek squad guy has never even built a PC before, and he gets paid a dollar above me. I have the lowest return exchange rate in the store. I'm not saying I should be the CEO, but it's unreasonable that I am so underpaid.

>>59391226
<3
>>
>>59391117
Not easy, But neither is the latter case, also
>le such a special snowflake millenial so smart
if you were so smart, you'd figure to just move up the ladder and sell yourself on your resume
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.