[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is 4K the stupidest tech meme? At least outside of very specific

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: 4k-ultra-hd.jpg (75KB, 500x359px) Image search: [Google]
4k-ultra-hd.jpg
75KB, 500x359px
Is 4K the stupidest tech meme? At least outside of very specific applications?

>barely any 4K video content exists, making 4K TVs worthless
>4K gaming costs thousands of dollars more to push; even people who know what they are looking for are lying when they claim they can tell a difference between 4K and 1440p, and the layperson can't tell the difference between 4K and 1080p
>older PCs games are a nightmare to get to work on 4K screens
>browsers and everyday programs require either a microscope or a lot of tedious fucking around to use comfortably
>>
>>59390173
>>browsers and everyday programs require either a microscope or a lot of tedious fucking around to use comfortably

>4k is shit because windows is shit
>>
>>59390173
>Natural progression in technology is a "meme"
You're fucking stupid. Were you spouting that you don't "need" 1080p back in the day, and how you would only ever use 1024x768 or some shit?
Also, stop blaming Windows' problems on 4K.
>>
>>59390193

Fuck that. At least companies started producing 1080p content when manufacturers started to push it.

TV companies have been selling 4K sets for years, and we still don't have any 4K cable or satellite content, and very little streaming and physical media content.
>>
No, it's the ceiling for diminishing returns for vidya and film. 35 mm film generally converts to 4k digitally, and you can't perceive content above 4k on an in home sizes screen.

For computer monitors it scales perfectly with 1080p screen real estate that makes text look picture perfect and very pleasant to look at

On televisions HDR is creating a standard of color reproduction and brightness/contrast to ensure you're getting a good panel

It's really the future we need. Anybody not fully embracing it is a luddite or retard
>>
>>59390173
I won't use 4K for years to come, but your thread is shit my man. Even with nvidia DSR at 125% (not even close to 4K) it's incredibly easy to see the difference, especially near edges.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (41KB, 744x633px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
41KB, 744x633px
>>59390173
>browsers and everyday programs require either a microscope or a lot of tedious fucking around to use comfortably

See pic related if you're on Win 10
>>
File: 1440pUW.png (27KB, 1022x766px) Image search: [Google]
1440pUW.png
27KB, 1022x766px
>>59390173
i paid entirely too much for a 1440p ultrawide monitor with goysync. I like it, though. But i like ITX builds and am forced to have the top of the line GPU to play anything new in fullscreen, or suffer disgusting visuals. In hindsight I should have just kept my 2560x1440@60 monitor. I sacrificed much desk space as a result.

Still better than 4K, though.
>>
>>59390173
>>older PCs games are a nightmare to get to work on 4K screens
The only game i've had a problem with is Dues Ex from the fucking 1990s

>>barely any 4K video content exists, making 4K TVs worthless
There is tons of 4k content, go search torrentz2.eu for 2160p

>>4K gaming costs thousands of dollars more to push; even people who know what they are looking for are lying when they claim they can tell a difference between 4K and 1440p, and the layperson can't tell the difference between 4K and 1080p
you certainly can with a 40" display

>>browsers and everyday programs require either a microscope or a lot of tedious fucking around to use comfortably
or just get a 40" display rather than the meme PPI display

>>59390218
>At least companies started producing 1080p content when manufacturers started to push it.
And they are for 4K, ffs I have a 4k copy of Groundhog Day. Most movies are shot on film and it is fairly easy for content creators to re-release things on 4K
>>
>>59390173
>barely any 4K video content exists

Not true. To name just a few: SeducedByACougar, MyFriendsHotMom, NaughtyAmerica, MyWifesHotFriend, MrsCreampie, DirtyWivesClub, TonightsGirlfriend, MyFirstSexTeacher, Blacked, Holed, JulesJordan, CzechCasting.
>>
>>59390896
>to re-release things on 4K

Yes but it's rarely every actually 4K.
Most post production digital film work is done in 2K now so that's as high as a real resolution as we are getting on almost everything, beyond that is just more up-scaling, filtering and placebo.
The difference most people notice when watching a newer 4K TV is really the HDR and other shit they have started implementing.
And a 40" single display at your average desk distance is too much for most people to deal with, curved helps so the shit at the end of your screen isn't at a shitty viewing angle with that but it's still pretty overkill unless you can mount it further away on wall or something which is nice.
I was going to buy two 32" monitors last year to stack vertically but am glad I went with the 29" ones instead sine they are barely over 2' in front of my face.
>>
>>59390896

Dues ex is from 2000 faggot
>>
File: 1477950610977.jpg (2MB, 5120x2880px) Image search: [Google]
1477950610977.jpg
2MB, 5120x2880px
Why would you ever use 4k when 5k already exists?
>>
>>59391144
>Yes but it's rarely every actually 4K.
Wut? Because film is somehow lower resolution?

>Most post production digital film work is done in 2K now
If true (and I doubt it), the result would be special effects will be slightly pixelated while the rest of the movie is fine.

>And a 40" single display at your average desk distance is too much for most people to deal with
Its fine for me

>curved helps so the shit at the end of your screen isn't at a shitty viewing angle
Viewing angle is fine other than maybe 10 pixels on each side arent visible due to the filters

>pretty overkill unless you can mount it further away on wall or
I have it on a Ergotron LX HD arm

>>59391172
sue me. I forgot there was a 2nd game which wouldnt run at 4k, which was Metal Gear Rising. That is just because it is a shitty console port, and there is a community patch to enable that resolution. I'm guessing there is one for Dues Ex too
>>
The only meme, is constantly upgrading before there is actually a need for it...aka upgrading to 1440p, if you're someone who can't help upgrading to 4k soon after.

There's really no point is arguing against 4k TVs at this point, since how it's hit the $500 threshhold. That is to say, the majority of televisions on the market are now 4k. You're not paying a several hundred dollar premium any more.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.