[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why should I learn emacs instead of using a modern text editor,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Why should I learn emacs instead of using a modern text editor, provided I don't care about e-peen?
>>
>>59383135
>tons of support for virtually any language
>has been around since forever
>can be used over ssh
>can be considered heavier than vim but doesn't have the bloat of any of the modern text editors
>isn't a web app in denial
>>
>>59383169
>tons of support for virtually any language
So does anything else worth using
>has been around since forever
Doesn't bring any benefits for me
>can be used over ssh
This is a tangible plus
>can be considered heavier than vim but doesn't have the bloat of any of the modern text editors
I run a modern system, whatever I use runs perfectly fine
>isn't a web app in denial
who cares?
>>
>>59383135
Because why not? It's simple enough to learn, incredibly extensible, and can do pretty much anything you could possibly want.

Though vi/vim is good to learn too, it's even simpler and it's good to know for quick file editing especially remotely, but emacs is the fucking bomb for serious text editing needs, and I say that as someone who thinks RMS is a gigantic faggot and GNU is a bunch of godless commies.
>>
I use emacs because I like the features it provides, I am fast and efficient with it, and I agree with its underlying ideas.
I hear Atom is good in similar regards, but I felt it missed much of the "point" of emacs.
If you have to make this shitty thread to argue about text editors, you've obviously don't care about being productive in them
>>
>>59383229
Yeah but so does any modern IDE

If I don't care about the few hundred extra megabytes of memory used, is there no benefit to learning all those obscure keyboard shortcuts?
>>
>>59383280
> is there no benefit to learning all those obscure keyboard shortcuts?

Unless you REALLY need to work on code over ssh or you care about your /g/ epeen, no.
>>
>>59383135
ssh
But you'd never need to worry about that cause you're a turbo faggot who doesn't do shit with computers except shitpost.
>>
>>59383280
Theyre the default shortcuts for bash, so its not really obscure at all.
>>
>>59383320
>use text editor of my choice on my machine
>in the rare instance where I need some remote machine to execute code, I copy the edited source there
>execute over ssh

wow that was so difficult
>>
>>59383195
There is always sshfs for editors running on the client
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.