[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the following possible in Excel? I want to: Have cell B change

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: unnamed.png (8KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
8KB, 300x300px
Is the following possible in Excel?

I want to:
Have cell B change based upon the text value in another cell A in the same row. This cell B actually splits into 2 cells with the same with as the row. We'll now call them Cell B1 and B2. Cell B1 and B2 both now have yellow backgrounds, despite the rest of the row being colored by a different conditional format. Each CellB1 and CellB2 now have checkmark boxes (or equivalent) with a word of text beside them. When checked, the Cell Background goes green.
If the value in cell A changes, Cell B1 and B2 are merged back to just Cell B, which is now empty.

Can this be done with a VBA macro (before I waste time working on it)?
>>
>>59369127
Great.

Now to pretend I actually know how to code.
>>
>>59368635
Did you find a solution?

You don't need to use VBA at all btw, it could be done in a simpler manner.
>>
>>59368635

Can't you just do (in cell b1/b2) '=a1'? Then some conditional formatting/hiding based on the value
>>
>>59368635

>cell B actually splits into 2 cells

You can't split cells, you have to merge them first, so you can treat them as one..

Dim i _TMP as Integer
i_TMP = 6

With Sheets(1).Range( "B5:B" & i_TMP )
.VerticalAlignment = xlBottom
.MergeCells = True
End With

>Have cell B change based upon the text value in another cell A in the same row.

You need to catch some event here. For example:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) 
If Target.Column = 1 and Target.Row = 1 Then
If Target.Value > 100 Then
Range("B2").Interior.Color = 3
End If
End If
End Sub

>Each CellB1 and CellB2 now have checkmark boxes (or equivalent) with a word of text beside them.

For the "checkbox" you need to set the font to something like "Wingdings", some symbol font. For waht you want you need multiple fonts in your cell:

Sheets(1).Cells(2, 2).Characters(1, 2).Font.Name = "Webdings" 
Sheets(1).Cells(2, 2).Characters(3).Font.Name = "Arial"

>If the value in cell A changes, Cell B1 and B2 are merged back to just Cell B, which is now empty.

Just as before, catch the event, set Range("B2:B3").MergeCells = False and delete the values with Range("B2:B3").Clear or something like that..
>>
>>59370586
Or he could just have used column C, both on white background (with whatever formula and conditional formatting) and they would be indistinguishable from 1 cell when empty.

OP is just over complicating things.
>>
>>59370650

It's not always the programmer that makes the choices, especially when it comes to office software.

Conditional formatting is nice, but it will only take you so far.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.