[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

got the new X1 Carbon and I'm trying to get a second SSD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20170311_155528.jpg (1MB, 2668x2001px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170311_155528.jpg
1MB, 2668x2001px
got the new X1 Carbon and I'm trying to get a second SSD in the WWAN slot; but I have a few questions because it seems to not be working. Starting out is a picture of the internals with the back removed
>>
>>59367592
'This will kill your battery life
>>
>>59367602
untrue; ssds use an extremely minimal amount of energy, and the purpose of having two is for dual booting OSes. Windows on the main SSD will not even be able to mount the other SSD and linux on the spare in the WWAN slot won't mount the main drive unless I tell it to by default

secondly, here is a picture of the WWAN slot more closely.
>>
>>59367592
You've got the service manual right?
>>
I noticed on wikipedia that it seems to be a "B" edge connector only
>>59367652
no, as far as I know it's not released yet lmao. Only thing in the box was like a 5 page user guide, and the htlm/pdf that came preloaded was also extremely limited. no details on hardware other than replacing shit.
>>
so this led me to take a second look at my SSD; it fits in the connector just fine but is not recognized by the BIOS, windows, or any linux USB

is it not working because the slot has no M Key? or do you think it's a bios whitelisting issue?
>>
>>59367592
What a piece of shit. I have never seen such shit in a laptop like the piss poor Lenovo China crap. Those stupid ribbon cables just fall out all of the time, nothing holding them in except some tape every now and then.
>>
>>59367592

You can't do what you're attempting to do, OP, it's really that simple. The WWAN slot on that ThinkPad has a line into the BIOS/UEFI that will prevent you from using anything but whitelisted WWAN cards - and I do mean WWAN as in broadband/cellular cards - in that slot and nothing else is going to work in it.

Another reason that ThinkPads suck in that respect: I have a Wi-Fi card in my Latitude's WWAN slot, works fine without issues but other brands of laptops love restricting what you can use the WWAN slot for on the business class hardware - Dell doesn't which is why they remain superior.
>>
I would use virtualization for this; Win 10, Server 2012/16 as host, and put Linux in a VM.
>>
>>59368127
You're partially wrong; the WWAN slot can be used as an SSD in most Thinkpads. Regular X series are compatible and the recent T series function this way too.

See the notebookcheck review of the T470
>>59368188
how would this help? If it's not being read by the Bios, how would a VM give me more access?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.