[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What will programming languages and operating systems for quantum

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Hacker-silhouette.jpg (53KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
Hacker-silhouette.jpg
53KB, 1000x664px
What will programming languages and operating systems for quantum computers look like?
>>
Disgusting.
>>
>>59356238
What is?
>>
Operating systems are a classical computer paradigm.
>>
>>59356265
So how do I run a web browser or use usb drivers?
>>
>>59356296
You don't. Fuck, are you that retarded?
>>
Quantum computers don't run software lmao
>this is /g/ in 2017
Get it together, guys
>>
>>59356302
So quantum computers are useless in 99% of tasks

wtf why do people even bother with them
>>
>>59356318
Then how do you program them wtf?
>>
>>59356329
they do one thing and they do it really well, like an fpga but 1 billion times more powerful
>>
QCL was one of the first quantum computer programming languages implemented - supposed to replicate C for quantum computing.

http://tph.tuwien.ac.at/~oemer/qcl.html
>>
>>59356344
>like an fpga
but fpgas can do many things really well because they're reconfiguration logic gates and can be programmed with a hdl wtf
>>
>>59356318
I mean, they'll presumably run some sort of software, though likely not in a particularly generalizable sort of way. At least in theory though, quantum computation is turing complete so you could do whatever.

>>59356324
>So quantum computers are useless in 99% of tasks
Yes. It is well understood that quantum computers will be objectively worse for most applications, because the hardware to get them running is so prohibitively complex.

>wtf why do people even bother with them
The major applications we know of are faster search and breaking crypto, both of which are applications largely relegated to a few centralized services. "Faster search," in particular, is something that doesn't quite capture how powerful a tool they can be. But right now, nobody can think of a reason to e.g. put it in your desktop. It's possible in the future that will change, but the current way we build them, using that much helium on everyone's personal computer would deplete the entire world's reserves.
>>
>>59356398
>using that much helium on everyone's personal computer would deplete the entire world's reserves
Jesus, Helium is the second most common element in the universe. Just how much helium do they use?
>>
>>59356536
Helium limited on Earth. Once we run out of it, it's off to the Sun or something. Because there's none left on this planet to use.
>>
>>59356175
They will be an extra unit you add to a classic computer like you can now add a gpu, and will have specific programing languages (like gpus have).
I doubt the classic cpu will ever become obsolete with quantum computers, so there will be no need for a quantum OS.
>>
>>59356548
Yup. The problem is, amusingly enough, what makes balloons go up. It's less dense than air, so once it gets released into the atmosphere, it shoots straight the fuck out into space. Once all the pockets are used up, we can get some from alpha radiation, but definitely not "everyone gets a superconductor in their home!" quantities.
>>
ibm has api for quantum computing, its going to 50qubits cpu are going to hit the market in few years.

Be ready

https://github.com/IBM/qiskit-api-py
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.