[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help stop the ever growing presence of anti-freedom /v/tards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 268
Thread images: 27

File: freesoftware.jpg (53KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
freesoftware.jpg
53KB, 736x552px
Help stop the ever growing presence of anti-freedom /v/tards on GNU+Linux.

https://www.change.org/p/valve-corporation-remove-steam-support-for-gnu-linux
>>
Imagine being this autistic.
>>
>>59349688
>t. retard
>>
>>59349739
>>59349758
hello /v/
>>
>for years lignux users bemoan nogaems
>valve complies and gives games
>lignux users complain
There's no winning.
>>
>>59349811
>valve complies and gives a walled market overpriced DRM service that locks any games you purchase to it meaning you can never use them without it

Steam needs to go
>>
>>59349820
You know no one cares about that, right?
>>
>>59349835
and yet I care, therefore someone does care about that. So what was the point of your comment again?
>>
>>59349859
You're the one trying to convince people here buddy.
>>
>>59349870
you're the only unconvinced one here /v/tard

did you invest too much money into steam and now you're scared to give it up? that was their plan after all, you are forever tied to their service.
>>
>>59349900
Well you see I, for one, have no problem with games being locked to steam -- unlike some autists.
>>
>>59349923
go back to your shed, sven
>>
>>59349820
If someone port a game on linux they want to see some profit out of it. It's not forced on anyone. Deal with it.
>>
>>59349938
>hurr durr ur a cugg xD x D
Typical
>>
>>59349965
>i enjoy paying for things and not being able to use them as I wish

lol
>>
>3 supporters

good luck
>>
File: 1488169997785.jpg (27KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
1488169997785.jpg
27KB, 326x326px
yeah let's ask a business to stop supporting a platform for 'muh freedoms'
>>
>>59349688
Use the power of your freedom to, you know, just fucking not install it.
>>
>>59350257
this t bh. I've never used it, so I just don't install it. pretty simple, innit? the main principle of gnu/linux is freedom, and still you are trying to take the freedom of some people just because they are retarded

>claims they are anti-freedom
>proceeds to try and take their freedom from them
>>
File: 1455732083915.jpg (17KB, 203x300px) Image search: [Google]
1455732083915.jpg
17KB, 203x300px
>>59350355
>>claims they are anti-freedom
>>proceeds to try and take their freedom from them
This.
Freedom must offer you choice. You can be free or you can choose not to be.
Without this, free as in freedom becomes yet another prison.
>>
>>59349688
>other people in muh sekret club use software I don't like
>>
File: why_rms_sucks.jpg (190KB, 1000x898px) Image search: [Google]
why_rms_sucks.jpg
190KB, 1000x898px
Pic is OP.
>>
This isn't your toenail eating, no shower having hugbox. Steam porting to linux is one of the best things to happen to it in years. If you don't want any normies using your OS you should consider hanging yourself
>>
>>59349688
>"I DON'T WANT TOO MANY PEOPLE TO KNOW ABOUT MY SUPER EXCLUSIVE HACKER OS!!!!! IT USED TO BE FOR PROS BUT NOW EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT IT!!!"
this is literally you, OP. Fuck yourself, please die, please also kill your offspring if you have produced any yet.
>>
>>59350515
>Steam porting to linux is one of the best things to happen to it in years.
I see this as pretty irrelevant, since it did not really lead to widespread support by games.
>>
>>59350635
steam+unity = plenty of games supporting it and running on a platform lots of people use.

What you want is to get the normies over to linux because as more use it more will develop for it and it's a usefull tool for that.
>>
>>59349739
So fat you look and see food
>>
>>59349820
>overpriced
>steam
Pick one.
>>
>>59350671
That would be way nicer if it wouldn't be the only platform those games run on.
>>
>>59349820
If you're not a total fucking retard games on Steam are cheap as your sister.
And concerning DRM, you don't see me complaining about your sister's pimp when I bone her.
>>
File: 254131-fs8.png (163KB, 800x967px) Image search: [Google]
254131-fs8.png
163KB, 800x967px
>>59349688
>.org/p/valve-corporation-remove-steam-support-for-gnu-linux

You've got my vote.
Get that proprietary cuck shit off of my GNU/Linux!
>>
File: 1453312908852.jpg (219KB, 1417x1417px) Image search: [Google]
1453312908852.jpg
219KB, 1417x1417px
>>59350814
>fucking burn
>>
>>59349688
If we remove steam, what about wine
>>
>>59349688
THIS IS WHAT FREETARDS ACTUALLY BELIEVE
>>
>>59349688
I agree with you, that being said you're wasting your time trying to convince these manchildern. You're better off going to a different imageboard/IRC.
>>
If you were really pro freedom you'd respect people's freedom to choose whether or not to run proprietary software. If you want to sustain a free OS, go ahead and do so. You don't need to compromise on anything just because people are running proprietary software on operatin systems similar to yours
>>
>>59349978
Uses them how? Please enlighten me.
The only thing that pisses me off from STEAM is the fact that each games is a subscription and that hey has the right to remove the game from you.

That's the only fucking single thing.

>>59350727
Overpriced? Oh anon, you should know better how to activate your keys.

>>59350814
>wow
>my sides, the savage is out

>>59351745
Glad to see someone with some good reasoning for a while.
>>
>>59351378
There is free software only for windows (notable example: Notepad++).

>>59349688
Gaining freedom goes in stages. Get normies on GNU+Linux then slowly get them to abandon other proprietary stuff.
>>
>>59349688
How can you be this retarded? Nobody is taking away your option of being a freetard when they add non-free options.
>>
>>59349820
microsoft locks games to microsoft specific devices (console, OR pc, with limited installs and other DRM junk) Sony locks games to their consoles almost exclusively. So does nintendo.
Steam is the only reasonable service and porting it to more OS than microsoft basically makes them the best distribution platform for games.
I would of stopped buying games years ago instead of making a few select purchases once in a while if it wasn't for steam. Oh yeah and no stupid mandatory subscription like a console.
What the fuck happened to the game industry all those people that wanted to go to school to learn how to code to make video games must be all the ones saturating the market with DRM and microtransactions. So much for making games that are fun, crafting proprietary payment systems menues and opting instead of a gaming experience I'd be pissed if I went into college debt for that kind of employment.
>>
>>59354962
Steam still locks games to Steam, instead of, you know, just not locking the game to anything. (Besides dependencies, but that's a different matter)
>>
>>59349688
Fuck off. Why would you actively remove a piece of optional software from an OS? Especially one which could make linux more popular and thus improve it's development. Start removing shit from linux and it will be abandoned by everyone except <1000 autists.
>>
>>59349688
The base system of every lincuck distro is huge as fuck because of retards like poettering (he is not the only one so calm your tits), try installing a """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""minimal"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" Debian system. See Tinycore Linux to get an idea of what I am talking about (system can be functional with a 10MB big image).
Let it burn.
>>
>>59355868
Linux is the name of the kernel that Linus Torvalds developed starting in 1991. The operating system in which Linux is used is basically GNU with Linux added. To call the whole system "Linux" is both unfair and confusing. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.
>>
Signed
>>
>>59350388
>it's alright sir these slaves """chose""" to be slaves
>>
File: normalization.jpg (763KB, 2404x1260px) Image search: [Google]
normalization.jpg
763KB, 2404x1260px
>>59350563
>>59350473
Literally not an argument.

The problem isn't people using it, it's people not understanding the importance of freedom and throwing away what the rest of us have spent decades building.
>>
>>59351745
>if you were really pro freedom you'd respect peoples freedom to own slaves
>>
>>59354621
>Get normies on GNU+Linux then slowly get them to abandon other proprietary stuff.

Literally won't happen as long as they see steam and valve as their lord and saviour. Steam is honestly dreadful (god awful UI, slow, buggy, absolutely horrid support placing a support ticket takes like a month to resolves) and they worship it because several years ago it had a good sale that one time.
>>
>>59354962
>What the fuck happened to the game industry all those people that wanted to go to school to learn how to code to make video games must be all the ones saturating the market with DRM and microtransactions.

steam happened, it invented both
>>
Fuck valve, signed
>>
>>59357555
>using proprietary software is the same as having slaves
Wew
>>
>>59358019
the users are the slaves
>>
>>59349820
GOG has been releasing a steady stream of Linux games as well and they are DRM free. They are still proprietary software but at least you have some rights. Little step in the right direction.
>>
>>59358212
I might look into this.
>>
>>59349688
the beauty of Linux is being able to do whatever the hell you want

why the fuck would you limit yourself and other users for no fucking reason? If this happens, even fewer users will free themselves from the clutches of Microshit

Has it ever occurred to you that some people just want a decent OS and don't give a fuck about the ideology of free software?

What worries me is not this petition, which will never pass anyway, but that there are people as fanatical and retarded as you
>>
>>59358282
>Has it ever occurred to you that some people [...] don't give a fuck about the ideology of free software?
precisely the problem or can't you read?
>>
>>59358305
>hey let's just force this small subcommunity of this already small community to either stop playing games or switch to a system that is bad at everything but playing games

this makes no bloody sense
the fewer users there are, the fewer developers there will be
just because there will be some more developers who don't want to conform to the libre ideology, it doesn't mean you are forced to use that software
>>
>>59358405
you don't have to stop playing games

you have to stop using a proprietary DRM enforcing market service that binds all transactions to an account making it impossible for you to leave without giving up what you purchased.
>>
>>59358442
most games require Steam nowadays

and games aren't like any other piece of software, that you can just replace with an alternative, or make your own, they are more like books or films, where you despise most of the trash out there, and the ones left are irreplaceable

the number of good games out there is already very small

and only a fraction of these will run on Linux natively or with wine

and out of these, only a handful will run without Steam
>>
>>59358586
those all sound like good reasons to drop steam while we still can
>>
>>59357503
You literally described Quake Live.
>>
>>59358693
>implying we can

the best we can do is bring more developers over to Linux, and show them the Unix Way, FOSS culture etc etc

if you just start wanting things to be shut down, you will scare the end-users away, because they will be wondering what's the next thing to get the same treatment
if Steam drops support, game devs won't just think "wow, I really should stop relying on Steam", they will think "oh, developing for Linux is such a hassle, I probably shouldn't do it anyway"

the best way to halt a service is by offering a better alternative, look at how piracy declined once Spotify, Steam and Netflix became a thing.
If you really want to end Steam's monopoly, you have to offer better alternative

Support GoG, make your own service, write letter to game devs
>>
>>59358976
>Support GoG

I do, I just re-bought Unreal Tournament 2004 on GoG to ditch Steam, but I use Windows and I don't give a fuck about open source, its not like I'm going to read the fucking source code of the OS anyway...

I just hate DRM in general.

By the way I'm surprised that the Linux version of UT2004 isn't on GoG, considering it ALREADY EXISTS in retail.
>>
>>59358976
>the best we can do is bring more developers over to Linux, and show them the Unix Way, FOSS culture etc etc

literally won't happen if they know the user base will bend over and let valve ass fuck them.

The better alternative already exists, just buy games from the developer.
>>
File: 1487086878376.jpg (10KB, 613x247px) Image search: [Google]
1487086878376.jpg
10KB, 613x247px
>>
>>59359031
and getting rid of Steam by asking Valve to drop Linux support literally won't happen, and will only incentive more people to let themselves get ducked by Microsoft

the only people who would change their behavior with this are people who already don't use Steam anyway
>>
>>59359085
if it gets freedom haters off GNU+Linux that's a good thing
>>
>>59359098
>>59358405
>>
>>59359148
why are japs so stumpy
>>
>>59349688
Being against GNU/Tards is just because they insist on /STUPID/naming-scheme.
No package contributor is so inclined to dictate the whole community hoe you HAVE to prefix an established reference.
Yes, Linux is the kernel. Linux distribution does however indicate that not the kernel, but the whole packaged up thing is meant with all it things it contains.

Learn it. Do your thing, it's good. But fucking let your fingers from renaming other projects because of your ego.
>>
>>59360181
can you try again but post in english this time, thanks?
>>
As much as I hate /v/ manchildren, I would like to be able to play games like Dota 2 with my friends without having to switch to windows.
This is counter productive to our goals desu.
>>
>>59360216
can you try to not grammar nazi this time, thanks?

TL;DR stop dictating how to name established references, you egomanic pricks.

You literally prey freedom, but get mad about how distros are called "Linux distibution".
>>
>>59360276
but I use a GNU+Linux distribution
>>
>>59360276
>le grammar nazi

Go the fuck back to redd!t and learn english before posting here.
>>
>>59360276
You are right.
>>59360300
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.
One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?
>>
>>59360316
Linux is a kernel, not an operating system.

but nice pasta
>>
>>59360339
Linux is also a reference for the whole OS
>>
>>59360339
(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies wherever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.
>>
>>59349688
I agree. I hate these fucking gaymers on /g/ which flooded the subchan with their consumer threads about intel, nvidia and amd. Keep them out of the tech society and Linux.
>>
>>59351580
I'd like to. I don't know an imageboard alternatives with a high response rate.
>>
>>59360351
no it's a reference to the kernel. different operating systems using the linux kernel have their own names. desktop operating systems using the linux kernel are typically GNU/Linux, but there is also chromeOS. on mobile it's typically android.

it is infact more correct to call GNU/Linux simply GNU, but the GNU project wishes to acknowledge the use of the linux kernel since the GNU os can use many kernels such as the freebsd kernel and the hurd kernel.
>>
>>59360452
Linux is also a reference to a Linux distribution. Many are lazy to prepend every time GNU to Linux. If you can't understand from a context what people mean when they say Linux, you probably are not very smart.
>>
>>59360554
so literally you're only argument is you're too lazy?

you can't even argue that you are correct because you know you are wrong.
>>
>>59360554
If you're too lazy to write GNU/Linux or GNU+Linux, simply write lignux. I use this the majority of the time in written conversation.
>>
>>59360583
Yep. I'm not correct m8.
>>
>>59360452
And GNU using the Linux kernel gives the the right to demand an prefix?
I already acknowledge their contributions. But i won't let them dictate how i have to call my OS, just because they think they deserve more.

I really dig their ideology, but i choose to use proprietary software and drivers as well. It's my freedom to do so.

Think about it, do the Xorg developers demanded that we call it X11/Linux? Does even any other demanded such nonsense?
Think about it.

And now try to understand why freetards are hated even amongst die-hard Linix enthusiasts like me.
>>
>>59360641
the linux kernel is by definition not an OS.

GNU is an OS.

If anything we should wonder why people demand the Linux suffix.
>>
>>59360641
I use the word Linux, I don't give a shit about the GNU prefix. I'm not a big fan of RMS to write every time GNU/Linux instead of just Linux. Every time people are perfectly understand from a context what Linux is being meant: a kernel or a distribution. There're no reasons to care about this GNU shit prefix in real life.
>>
>>59360665
because people call it that way. It's established in society.

Go to the street and choose 3 random persons. Ask them if they know the "GNU OS". Then if they know " Linux".

Linux per reference is an OS.
>>
>>59360665
It's the problem of RMS why no one uses Hurd. If Hurd was an eligible kernel, people would use the word GNU. It's not our problem. It's convenient for us to use the word Linux.
>>
>>59360692
i guess we should do everything because of 3 random people on the street.

maybe every technical field should have all of it's terms and theory filtered through 3 random people on the street to make sure we are accommodating them.

that's a good argument man.
>>
>>59360703
It's convenient for you because you don't work in a technical field where there is a distinction between the kernel and the rest of the OS.
>>
>>59360706
Choose the geekiest looking ones. You're free™ to choose.
>>
>>59360692
I 100% agree. No one gives a shit what glibc and coreutils are called.
>>
>>59360715
and you're free to make an argument any time, but you can't
>>
>>59360714
Man, I contributed to FreeBSD. I distinguish what is kernel and what is libc, base OS and so on. I just use what is easy for me.
>>
>>59360725
it seems your autism disabled your reading capabilities.
>>
>>59360732
then you contribute to the decline of literacy
>>
>>59349688
If your software is so free then how come you have to install dependencies to use it?

Why don't you have the freedom to install your software without pulling in other software?
>>
>>59360734
Android uses bionic instead of GNU glibc and uses tinybox instead of GNU coreutils. But no one calls android Linux because it's an Android. People call a GNU/Linux distrubution just Linux. It's convenient, it's like people are used to call every vacuum cleaner a Hoover.
>>
>>59360755
if the dependencies are free software why is there a problem?
>>
>>59360741
No. It's the evolution. One word always easier to use than a bag of words when people around can perfectly understand you.
>>
>>59350257
leftists, who are pretty much crypto communists, can't stand the idea of choice
>>
>>59360718
what about
bash
grep
grub
finger
findutils
gzip
gimp
screen
tar
time

those are all gnu packages as well
>>
>>59360789
people cannot perfectly understand you because it creates confusion
>>
>>59360680
>There're no reasons to care about this GNU shit prefix in real life.
If that were true you would have a linux kernel with a non gnu os
>>
>>59360761
And people call Ubuntu, Ubuntu, despite it being a Linux distribution with many GNU utils in it.
Because it's convinient.
>>
>>59360793
>dude communism is some boogeyman i apply all things i dislike to
>im so redpilled
>>
>>59360804
GNU+Linux distribution*
>>
>>59360814
Linux distribution*
>>
>>59360808
t. communist
>>
>>59349688
Hello, I'm just here to recommend 0ad, its a free open source awesome game... bye...
>>
>>59360804
I 100% agree, only retards need additional explanations that Ubuntu is not a kernel and not a GNU utils but a distribution.
>>
File: Interjecting.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Interjecting.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>59360827
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59360834
please don't tag dictators communists.
that's bad reputiation for communism.
>>
>>59360840
widelands is also very fun
>>
>>59360858
>widelands
I've played 0ad but never seen this, Looks awesome.
downloading now
>>
>>59360858
>widelands
I'll try it out, thanks
>>
>>59360808
I wonder who in the world could be behind this post!
>>
>>59349688

What if Windows goes FOSS tomorrow?
>>
>>59361037
im not sure what the question is really? how is this relevant? it would be a good thing if windows became free software, that's for sure. but nonfree software would still exist.
>>
>>59360848
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59355688
>make linux more popular
Why do people want this? We have almost all the valuable people. You know the ones who will contribute to free software. Look at the app store of any phone or windows and see what happens when a platform gets popular with barely triple digit IQ users. Hell just look at Windows now. There's ads in the Calculator and a keylogger in the OS. If 90% of users are idiots and it's profitable to treat users like idiots, then everyone gets treated like idiots. It is currently very profitable to treat users like idiots.
>>
File: Anno3.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Anno3.png
1MB, 1024x768px
Free software gaming general?

first up some RTS games

http://www.unknown-horizons.org/

>Unknown Horizons, formerly known as OpenAnno, is a real-time strategy game and economic simulation game loosely based on Sunflower's Anno series.[1] The game's source code is licensed under the GPL while its own media is licensed under the CC-BY-SA license and some parts under other DFSG-compatible licenses[2].

>The first public version of Unknown Horizons is version 2008.1 released on October 1st, 2008 when it was called OpenAnno.[3]. This was the last release as OpenAnno before the name was changed to Unknown Horizons[4].
>>
>>59358282
>Has it ever occurred to you that some people just want a decent OS and don't give a fuck about the ideology of free software?
the free software folks know this, this is kind of the thing they're trying to change, you know

they want to politicize software, in a way. to make people care about more than using it as a tool for job x

it would be pure utopianism to believe in FOSS winning over proprietary just by making better software. that ain't gonna happen. people must start to value their freedom in addition to convenience.
>>
>>59361347
so freedom is their definition of not having the freedom of choice?
That's dictatorship.
>>
>>59361463
>dude what about my freedom to own slaves lmao
>dude what about my freedom to kill people lmao
>>
>>59361463
congratulations, you figured out why the FSF is harmful
>>
>>59361492
>dude follow my advive
>dude let's kill all jees lmao
>>
>>59349688
We need to get the ever growing presence of e-SJWs such as yourself out of the Linux ecosystem first.

Use one of the many FSF approved distros that aren't going anywhere and fuck off. You'll always be a sheep anyway.
>>
>>59349771
sup
>>
>>59361492
Congratulations, you just discovered why absolute freedom is not desirable.

Permissive licenses are more free, but freedom is not directly correlated to goodness.
>>
>>59361534
that is why the GPL exists.

to maintain freedom so that others are not harmed by people abusing freedom to take others freedom.

congratulations you just discovered why richard stallman was right all along.
>>
>>59361534
>hitler did nothing wrong
t. GNUfag
>>
>>59360793
Communism is literally the biggest strawman in history.
>>
Fuck off I'm not getting back to OpenArena and AssaultCube now that I have the whole CS bundle, L4D2 and shit
>>
>>59361563
red eclipse is unironically superior to csgo
>>
>>59361574
Haven't tried that one
Aren't they all Doom/Quake free clones anyway?
>>
They would simply release no gaymen on Linux if nobody buys any.
>>
>>59361463
Well no, I don't think their ultimate goal is to legally ban the use of proprietary software, nor can a free operating system prevent is users from running proprietary software. They're not trying to force anyone, they're trying to tell people that they should choose this way.

But yes, having freedom to xyz is freedom. Taking away the freedom to xyz may also be defined as freedom. The FS way is to insist on freedom to do xyz, while being against the freedom to take away the freedom to xyz. Thus, they're for software that lets users do xyz and they're against software that denies the users the freedom to xyz. They try to tell people that they should also care about this same issue.

"But what about my freedom to run Steam?" No one is trying to deny you the freedom to do so, but they are against Steam itself, thinking that Steam is unethical. They simply want that Steam either changes its ways or loses users and dies off.
>>
>>59361589
nobody buys any as it is, valve is just trying to expand their market
>>
>>59361463
Just like proprietary software prohibits you from reading, modify, share, FOSS prohibits you being prohibited from it
Both impose copyright on users
For the rest theres free permissive licences
>>
>>59353133
>Uses them how? Please enlighten me.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
>>
>>59361613
Valve would stop the expansion sooner or later, then.
>>
>>59361652
we can only hope, but even with their "steamos" and "steambox" failing abysmally they continue. they are an unrelenting corporation who seeks nothing but more users to subjugate.
>>
>>59361595
OP and the thread itself doesn't make that impression, tbqh.

I already wrote that i generally support the ideology of FSF, just not their way of trying to "force us to our happiness".

1/2 spam detection fuck you
>>
>>59361595
I'll use an kind of thought experiment to kind of explain the problem of "But I want to play Steam, I want to use my freedom to do so, so if Steam for GNU/Linux doesn't exist, I'm being denied freedom!"

Imagine a situation in which you have two options to move around a large area: a car and a bicycle.

The car only lets you ride to certain locations, it is locked so by its manufacturer, lets imagine that its a self-driving car, but those locations may be very far away and you can get there really fast.

The bicycle has no such limitations built into it, but you are limited in how far you can ride and how fast.

Which option is really more free? I wouldn't call sticking with the car the "free" way. It would only continue to support the unfreedom imposed onto its users. But truly, if you wanted to get far away, the bicycle might seem like the "less free" option. Steam allows the user to play certain video games, so it might seem like freedom to use it, if the user wants to play said video games.
>>
>>59361660
You should ask Google to stop supporting Linux, and Oracle, Samsung and fuckload others as well
Then Linux has my permission to die
>>
>>59361347
>people must start to value their freedom
M8, most people can barely walk and chew gum at the same time.
>>
>>59361707
if i have a large cotton field and i dont want to pick all the cotton, i could do it the free way and pick it all myself, or I could do it the "free" way and just get slaves to pick it.

just because one option is easier, doesn't make it ethical.
>>
>>59361701
2/2
If the free nvidia drivers fully surpass the proprietary ones then i'll happily switch. .
>>
It would be more productive to petition Valve to drop DRM support and open source Steam, but have it your way
>>
>>59361770
it's more likely they'll give up on lignux support than ever remove the literal point of steam, which is to be a DRM enforcement service.
>>
>>59361739
calling someone who chooses another software apart from YOUR iideology, doesn't make them slaves, just because they don't want to cripple themselves for the time being.

see
>>59361701
>>59361740

With that attitude you're making the ideology seem like a cult. Outsiders are not welcome.
>free
>>
Asking Valve to remove Steam support on Linux is like asking Best Buy to shut down their stores because it's not funded by tax dollars.
>>
>>59361799
it makes the people who create nonfree software slave owners though
>>
File: puff.jpg (120KB, 227x343px) Image search: [Google]
puff.jpg
120KB, 227x343px
>>59349688
Knock knock, open up the door, it's real
>>
>>59361780
You're always free to fork GNU/Linux and make your special snowflake OS
Thats the whole point with FOSS, not forcing your ideas on everyone else
>>
>>59361842
but can I fork steam?
>>
>>59361815
So take your fight to the companies instead of bashing the users then.
Building awarness is one thing, but calling names on the users you want to gain is contra productive on all levels.
>>
>>59361850
that's why the petition is directed at Valve
>>
>>59361852
>i have not called you a slave a few posts earlier >_>
>>
>>59361860
<_<
>>
>>59361848
Thats up to Valve, they created the software, its their right to market it with whatever license they want, proprietary or not
Do you want to force them to GPL their software?
>>
>>59361877
all software should be GPL
>>
>>59349688
fucking KEK

Also, get your FreeBSD devil out that pic, gnutard.
>>
>>59349688
Steam is one of the best thing that happened to linux
>>
>>59361983
go back to redd!t
>>
File: physical_version_of_autism.jpg (12KB, 277x296px) Image search: [Google]
physical_version_of_autism.jpg
12KB, 277x296px
>>59349688
>>59349820
>supports free software
>complains when someone uses free software the way they don't want it used
>>
File: OS-structure2.png (59KB, 1499x383px) Image search: [Google]
OS-structure2.png
59KB, 1499x383px
>>59360665
By which definition?
An operating system makes software talk to hardware by being between them. Guess which part of the combination does this, GNU or Linux? The answer might shock you.
>>
>>59362928
>Linux is a kernel and does the job of a kernel
woah this shocked me bro
>>
>>59362979
>Linux is a kernel and does the job of an operating system because it's a monolithic kernel, not just a microkernel
Fixed your typo so you can be shocked the appropriate amount
>>
File: subversive.jpg (91KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
subversive.jpg
91KB, 400x400px
>never mentioned GOG

fucking commies
>>
File: 1479223742324.png (85KB, 500x425px) Image search: [Google]
1479223742324.png
85KB, 500x425px
>>59349688
>>
>>59363011
>i'll call it an OS so it fits my description

lol, it's a kernel, it calls itself a kernel, you acknowledge it's a kernel.

it's a kernel.

>>59363019
GOG is DRM free as far as I've heard.
>>
>>59363033
Keep crying yourself to sleep, it won't change anything. "By definition" the part which can be called an operating system is definitely Linux, not GNU.
>>
>>59363055
by definition linux is a kernel and only 1 component of a OS
>>
>>59363067
Link this definition. An operating system makes software talk to hardware, what else could you call an operating system? An ice cream truck?

Well I guess you could, but it's not correct. What it should define is something that makes software talk to hardware, like monolithic kernels do.
>>
>>59363096
that's the kernel
>>
>>59363105
Type in one sentence what is the definition of an operating system in general. This is your moment to shine.
>>
>>59363141
why should i when you are the one changing definitions?

you are just conflating kernel with operating system then covering your ears.
>>
>>59363067
funny though that RMS is one of the few people who spread this claim, while at the same time being one of the initiators of the POSIX standard, the standard from which this claim originated.
>>
What if I'm a newfag who came from /c/
>>
>>59363067
And all because Stallman couldn't manage to develop his own Kernel.
>>
>>59363141
OS provides consistent API for hardware and user interface. OS includes software to manage hardware and user interface.
>>
>>59363176
>this
"My own inability to develop a kernel makes everyone else's attempt less valid." - Richard Matthew Stallman
>>
>>59363159
So you cannot do it, got it.

I didn't change anything btw. I might change it if you would give a reason to, which you didn't even when asked to. That's mostly because you can't. I asked you to define it but you ironically started talking about covering ears.
>>
>>59363199
>the kernel and the OS are the same thing they just have different names and definitions because richard stallman is using his jewish powers to mess with the bernstein universe

ok bro lol, you can believe that if you want
>>
>>59363187
Embedded systems might have an OS even if user input is never planned to happen.

>>59363210
Thanks, I will. I mean the unbiased definition, not your jew hating story.
>>
>>59363210
just so you know, a kernel can run on a computer without any of the other components of the OS. that makes it an OS by itself. don't let this fat manchild richard stallman tell you otherwise. he hasn't done anything to further develop computers in the last 30 years because he's busy petting his ego and eating shit from his fungus ridden feet
>>
>>59363302
>a kernel can run on a computer without any of the other components of the OS
>without any of the other components of the OS

that's because it's a kernel, not an operating system.
>>
>>59363332
>a kernel can run on its own
>that's why it's not an operating system

are you even listening to yourself? well I guess I'm not here to convince you of anything kid. I most certainly won't waste any more time on this so... bye kiddo
>>
>>59363342
>dude i can roll a tire down a hill that means it's a car
>>
>>59363354
except this is a totally wrong analogy because a car is powered by an engine. so it's more like attaching wheels to an engine without a chassis or any controls and just switching it on. it wouldn't be steerable but then again, a bare kernel running on a computer wouldn't be good for anything either. the point is, it would still run.
>>
>>59363385
and the point is that doesn't mean it's an operating system, seeing that you can't operate it

thanks for playing
>>
>>59363394
again, you're probably referring to the invalid POSIX definition of an OS, invented in great parts by a man who has the need to debase the achievements of people more intelligent than him.

let me break it to you:

operating =/= operable

it doesn't need to be user controlled, it just needs to be able to allocate ressources and manage devices. that's what a kernel does.
>>
>>59363449
>that's what a kernel does.
I know that's what the kernel does. and it's just one part of the OS.
>>
Fuck off, you communist shill
>>
>>59363667
>dude everything i dont like is communist
>>
>change.org
Why do /pol/tards and /v/edditors think this site makes a difference?
Has it EVER made a difference?
>>
>>59363394
>that doesn't mean it's an operating system, seeing that you can't operate it
>if a tech-illiterate granny can't operate it it's not an operating system by my own definition
What about futuristic fully automated drones that gather data (obstacles, balance, wind, GPS) and make decisions mid-flight based on that data? What if they also greet people they meet at their destination? What if they also do facial recognition so they can identify that they are at the right person's door? What if some of this data is in cloud and it's syncing wirelessly, so it's not always doing the exact same thing? It's doing tons of things but not asking for user input to operate. The more complicated it gets, the more likely it is to have an operating system as well. I'm not saying these drones are something that people need, it was just an example of a device which has an operating system without a user interface. It takes raw data from servers and sensors and acts according to those.

Btw I'm not even saying that people are idiots if they call GNU/Linux an operating system. Only the ones that say "if you want to simplify it, it should be GNU since that's the operating system". Only Linux has the capabilities to be categorized as an operating system out of those two, so it's more understandable to just say "Linux" when you are talking about the system. People who say "Linux" shouldn't be ridiculed since they aren't wrong. People who say "GNU/Linux" already aren't ridiculed and there's no need to do that either.
>>
>>59364328
I'm sorry but it's GNU
>>
>>59364345
Yeah, that's what the idiots would say. You didn't have to mention it though, I think it was already clearly implied.
>>
>>59364385
>le idiots xD
ok pal
>>
File: facepalm.jpg (32KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
32KB, 750x600px
>>59349688
>>
>>59361502
OP and his fellow tards aren't the FSF
>>
File: the_shaft.png (1MB, 1305x982px) Image search: [Google]
the_shaft.png
1MB, 1305x982px
>>59349688
>i'm convinced that video games are going to make my special snowflake os mainstream, and i'll have to move to an even more esoteric system in order to continue my hipster posturing and playing pretend hackers with my computer

Hello from /a/. We're here to laugh at you.
>>
>>59365251
g/a/y lol
>>
>>59349811

There is. Steam on Linux was a win.

Fsf folks will even agree that having users use some free software and get Trojan horsed into the software freedom meme is a good thing.

>>59349835

Valve is pretty amazing like that, they do something evil, like force you to install steam to play cs and later hl2. They use DRM, rip off developers taking a huge cut of sales, monitize off mods/skins/etc. Force you do buy games to use steam properly (you're not a full user until you actually purchase something, gifts don't count) they let shit games on their store and only pull them after massive outcry. (Warz) they release a Linux client out of fear MS might cut into their sales with Windows store, when it becomes clear that's not a issue they stop actually trying to make steam better on Linux. They release l4d with no mod support, full price for 4 levels, a year later release l4d2 for full price splitting the communities and milking consumers.

Valve is a pretty shitty company, buh ma sales.

They aren't the worst but the level of hypocrisy with their userbase is riciclous
>>
>>59365957
valve also has the absolute worst customer support i've ever encountered

it's like one cunt in their office who checks support tickets once a month
>>
File: bUNXwFD.jpg (23KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
bUNXwFD.jpg
23KB, 450x338px
>>59350709
I get it
>>
File: lolgotrekt.jpg (101KB, 807x388px) Image search: [Google]
lolgotrekt.jpg
101KB, 807x388px
>>59349688
>>
>>59368059
woah you really rekt him
>>
>>59363168
IEEE-IX was the original name RMS just suggested changing the name to POSIX
>>
File: gnu_mistake.png (109KB, 648x579px) Image search: [Google]
gnu_mistake.png
109KB, 648x579px
>>59349688
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, Faggotry/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Faggotry plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Faggotry system made useful by the Faggotry corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the Faggotry system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Faggotry which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Faggotry system, developed by the Faggotry Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the Faggotry operating system: the whole system is basically Faggotry with Linux added, or Faggotry/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of Faggotry/Linux.
>>
>>59363168
i think it's funnier that GNU software does its best to be incompatible with everything
>>
>>59349688
>Help stop the ever growing presence of anti-freedom /v/tards on GNU+Linux.
Start by ignoring all the vault7 leaks since it makes GANOOLINUX look like shit. :^)
>>
Well i don't think they're making a profit.
Eventually they'll stop developing steamos, devs will stop making multiplatform games and everyone will go back to windows.
I mean you don't see many linux gamers, and the situation is not really improving.
>>
>>59368829
I saw Richard Stallman at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
>>
File: Screenshot-userone@debian: ~.png (53KB, 660x437px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-userone@debian: ~.png
53KB, 660x437px
>>59349688
Who the fuck cares? If you don't like it, don't use it.

t. freetard
>>
>>59349688
>>59349820
I'm sorry you have to deal with so many retards. Playing with my cat always makes me feel better after threads like these.
>>
File: Girls.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490KB, 449x401px
>mfw freetards actually post on a non-free image board
>>
So many posts and no supporters haha
>>
>>59371563
I love these pastas.
>>
>>59373933
The image board doesn't run on my computer and it isn't SaaS
>>
>>59363342
by your definition a firmware is an operating system
>>
4chan as non-free as usenet: it's not
>>
>>59349688
No
>>
>>59375731
Yes
>>
>>59349820
Wrong, valve offers a DRM service, but developers are not forced to use it, an example is kerbal space program wich doesn't use any DRM.
>>
>>59371725
>freetard
get rid of your wireless card, fucking hypocrite
>>
>>59376035
Developer choice is not something that GPLfags care about, anon.
Valve should have focused on BSD instead of Linux.

What a fucking waste
>>
>>59376496
BSD is dead because they have a tinyass community and they have a tinyass community because no one wants to contribute to a project that will just be taken by apple/sony/nintendo and used to subjugate people.
>>
>>59376503
Give it time. Linux is already compromised at its very foundation (literally), and once Torvalds kicks it any semblance of self-determination or freedom will disappear virtually overnight.

At which point you will be welcomed into BSD with open arms, prodical user
>>
>>59376540
s/prodical/prodigal/
>>
>>59375601
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Pasta, is in fact, Copy/Pasta, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Copy plus Pasta. Pasta is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Copy system made useful by the Copy corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the Copy system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Copy which is widely used today is often called “Pasta”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Copy system, developed by the Copy Project. There really is a Pasta, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Pasta is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Pasta is normally used in combination with the Copy operating system: the whole system is basically Copy with Pasta added, or Copy/Pasta. All the so-called “Pasta” distributions are really distributions of Copy/Pasta.
>>
>>59376540
I have no dislike for BSD, I use OpenBSD on my laptop.

I just recognize that they aren't a choice for valve is valve wants to make money.
>>
>>59376607
>>59376503
>BSD is dead
Cool choice of phrasing then, bro. You're a regular melodramaturge.
>>
>>59376717
with no future you may as well be dead my man
>>
>>59376752
More melodrama -- or maybe this is some kind of hipster nihilism instead. Your continued use of BSD on your machine, assuming you aren't lying, is actually a testament to its livelihood. Why are you using it anyway?
>>
>>59376872
i guess if i play a beatles album they still exist in my mind too
>>
>>59376903
The Beatles aren't still in active development -- maybe try another hackneyed analogy instead?
I hear ones about cars are popular.
>>
>>59349688
it is sad when people hate freedom so much that they try to stop his most humble gaben from executing freedom
>>
>>59376945
im not the one who said the ability to use something means it's still active
>>
>>59376981
https://freshbsd.org/
I look forward to additional (you)s as you either misdirect or feign indifference, friend. Having a great time so far.
>>
>>59377030
you are arguing a different point now
>>
>>59377070
>BSD is dead
Please clarify to avoid wasting more of your time.
>>
>>59377079
im sorry but now you are arguing a strawman
>>
File: straw_man.jpg (148KB, 1600x1201px) Image search: [Google]
straw_man.jpg
148KB, 1600x1201px
>>59377090
Arguing /with/ a straw man, that is.
>>
>>59377109
if you can't make an argument that's fine
>>
>>59377114
Assume I am a totally different person from the one you've been ineffectually handwaving at all this time.

Why are you using BSD?
>>
>>59377131
i felt bad for the dead project and hoped if i used it it'd magically come to life again
>>
>>59377153
No further questions, have a good night hun. :^)
>>
>>59377175
thanks, you can try again another time
>>
File: janitor.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
janitor.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>looks at GOG library
>6/47 games have linux versions

GOG is nicer then steam but dont fool yourself linux gaming is still a joke in 2017. Just suck it up and use windows
>>
So many CIA niggers and anti-freedom shills in this thread alone... is there any hope at all?
>>
>>59377190
last word ultra omega dibs no take-backsies
there, that ought to do it
>>
File: whomst.png (343KB, 445x629px) Image search: [Google]
whomst.png
343KB, 445x629px
>>
>>59377439
spotted the spook
>>
>>59377449
be gone from here max
>>
>>59377456
it's me ur friend max
let's go create a corporatist oligarchy and violate the fourth amendment
>>
>>59377439
kek'd
>>
>5 signatures
>>
>>59349739
linux = autism
>>
;)
>>
only 94 left

you can do it
Thread posts: 268
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.