[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux is not a desktop operating system. There are two desktop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: 1488184847726-1.png (253KB, 817x740px) Image search: [Google]
1488184847726-1.png
253KB, 817x740px
Linux is not a desktop operating system.
There are two desktop use cases: 1. Home use 2. Business enterprise use
In both these cases linux falls short. In home use, software simply isn't available for many home use cases. Performance is abysmal. Permissions are confusing for laypeople. Etc. All of the server parts of the OS ruin the home user experience. In business use the OS fails to be able to interact with standard business software and groupware.

Linux is only useful for serving up web pages on the cheap, or selling web hosting on the cheap. Another use case, although very narrow, is computation in the strictest sense--render farms and data processing--both of which are NOT desktop uses.

In the use case of server, linux also falls short.
Filesharing uses the gimped out SAMBA which is inferior to plain old windows server with active directory. If you don't know why SAMBA is garbage then you don't have enough experience in the enterprise world.

What would you expect from a 40 year old design where the only innovation is copying other systems. (cups+samba, samba, open directory, kerberos, etc).

Linux isn't even useful as a platform for business communications--there is nothing on it like outlook server--and this is a dead basic requirement for the enterprise. There is no groupware, other than Lotus which is complete shit.

There is no unified authentication for remote users either. You're stuck with a mishmash or kerberos, opendirectory, or maybe even radius thrown in the mix. Totally unacceptable.

Most UNIX innovation was done on Solaris, and their best tools aren't even available on Linux --(dtrace and zfs)--and now that Linux has eaten solaris' lunch, expect no future unix innovation.

Every other use case is better served by a desktop OS.

You linux ppl are fucking delusional!
>>
>28 minutes and fa/g/gots still don't take the b8.
What the fuck? Are you sick or something?
>>
nobody responds because it's true. there's nothing left to discuss.
>>
>>59339733
see >>59339984
>>
>>59339279
You are right, OP.
t linux user

>Most UNIX innovation was done on Solaris, and their best tools aren't even available on Linux --(dtrace and zfs)--and now that Linux has eaten solaris' lunch, expect no future unix innovation.

This, and then Unix by itself is a garbage standard.
>>
>>59339984
wtf i hate linux now :^)
>>
>>59339279
>You linux ppl are fucking delusional!
We aren't.
It's garbage, but unfortunately the alternatives aren't better and they get worse every day.

Computers are ruined, deal with it. Time to look for another field.
>>
Nice weekend essay
>>
>>59340130
>We aren't.
first day on /g/? lol
>>
>>59339279
just like op is not a faggot amirite xdddd
>>
0/10
>>
>>59340156
It's repost, so more like a pasta.
>>
>>59339279
Linux would make a good pos or atm OS tbqfwy
>>
>>59340204
I'm not speaking for /g/.
Not even sure I consider animuh ripping NEETs users.
>>
>>59340241
>animuh ripping NEET
Those are on Windows.
>>
>>59340277
I'm not that sure, considering the userbase of mpv and ffmpeg.
>>
>>59339279
It is strange that you should say that even though I've been using Linux on my desktops for 15 years.
>>
>>59340311
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03t_RNuxb8I
>mpv and ffmpeg
They don't segfault if you play/convert non-anime stuff. :^)
Weebs are on Windows.
>>
>>59339984
yes he is right and everybody knows it.
>>
>>59340409
>They don't segfault if you play/convert non-anime stuff. :^)
True, but mpv is the player where the devs consider including the machine learning based scaling algo for animuh. Every sane dev would have closed that ticket laughing.
>>
>>59339279
>falls short on server use
>is run on literally 98% of machines
Really activates the almonds :^)
>>
>>59340525
60-70% at best and bsd and solaris included.
>>
>>59340545
>2017
>Solaris
Not even Oracle runs it.
>>
>>59340568
It's still 2017, not 2027.
>>
>>59340591
please keep the thread alive for 10 years
>>
>>59339279
>software isnt available.
Depends on what you do. A lot of software is available. You have to be more specific.
>performance is abysmal
With regards to? Compared to?
Do you mean gaming through an emulation layer vs on windows or do you mean on native applications as well?
>permissions is confusing
Most people don't need to know about that, sure.
How is this a bad thing?
>server parts ruin the home user experience
How? Either you use the stuff or you don't.
Having a system that is easy to manage is not bad for the home user.
>standard business software
Do you even know what you are talking about?

Obviously you save a lot of money on servers by using better software, I personally haven't had to replace a computer because it was "too slow" to do regular tasks in the past 15 years I have used linux.

Samba is far from the best file sharing solution I agree.
There is better solutions and have been for years.
And fileservers should be BSD anyway.
>>
>>59340568
Oracle only bought it to sue Google over Java patents on android. They lost and never wanted to maintain the rest of Sun's old shit.
>>
>>59340687
You can repost it every day.
>>
>tfw just want a minimal Windows OS with terminal and gcc
>>
>>59341793
At that point, why wouldn't you prefer Linux?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.