[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When is Linux going to get good video game support without needing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

When is Linux going to get good video game support without needing to wait six months and apply five patches?

I can't stand this shit.
>>
>>59336571
when the Linux userspace standardizes their libraries
>one standard, backwards and forwards compatible C/C++ library
>one sound subsystem
>one graphics library
>one gui library
>one desktop environment
>stable internal kernel api
>unified configuration system and api
And when system developers stop breaking APIs because they can.
>>
>>59337055

>>one standard, backwards and forwards compatible C/C++ library
standard lib
>>one sound subsystem
pulse
>>one graphics library
gl
>>one gui library
qt
>>one desktop environment
kde
>>stable internal kernel api
had one forever
>>unified configuration system and api
systemd
>>
>>59337055
>>59336571
this, distros like Arch won't survive and big companies will get shit flung their way for not optimizing the bleeding edge 0.5% autists. I'd rather boot a vm and run from there.
>>
>>59337079
>internal kernel api
>had one forever
it never had one. NVIDIA is always patching their driver to support newer kernel versions because devs keep breaking internal APIs
>>
>>59337079
>pulse
>kde
>systemd
jesus NO! people like you don't belong using linux
alsa and openrc only, and none of that full blown de bullshit
>>
>>59336571
>I can't stand this shit
If you really need to play video games so bad then use Windows. Why should Linux tailor to your child hobbies?
>>
>>59337147
why can't the linux desktop do the same things windows (or OS X) can?
(except bugs, backdoors and security issues, obviously)
>>
>>59337137
And that is why Linux will remain being a server and hobbyist OS.
>>
>>59337182
Linux is productivity software. Either you're productive (welcome to /g/) or you're a leech upon the free world (get back to >>>/v/).
>>
>>59337055
Absolutely no need for making every distro the same.

Pick one distro, easiest choice is ubuntu LTS. Write games on it, compile games for it, provide support for games on it.

Want to run the game on another system? Feel free to do, but expect no support.
>>
>>59337228
>want to run the game on another system? Feel free to do, but expect no support.
Then expect (with a 99.999% of probability) to get manchilds whining that they can't run their games on their super-rare linux distro.
>>
>>59337202
good
>>
>>59337147
>>59337211
>this outdated view of video games

Everyone plays. This isn't the early 90s.
>>
>>59337182
>why can't the linux desktop do the same things windows (or OS X) can?
why should it? that's what you have Windows for.
also what he said:
>>59337211
>>
A structure is only as stable as its foundation.
GNU/Linux isn't stable for some use cases.
>>
>>59337323
And then this kind of people cries when the "year of desktop linux" never comes.
>>
>>59337302
That's not my point. My point is if you want to play video games then simply use fucking Windows. People who complain that Linux can't do [thing Windows can do] but don't just use Windows are obviously just using Linux for the novelty of it
>>
>>59337055
>>one graphics library
Devs don't even care about this

They'll happily rewrite things for GNM
>>
>>59337395
and there is the classic fight: GTK vs Qt
>>
>>59337137
been using linux since the 90 and systemd is literally the best thing since X
>>
>>59337349
nice straw man argument. I couldn't give less of a shit about 'the year of the linux desktop' and I'm sure most Linux users feel the same. Linux serves a different purpose than Windows. If you get legitimately pissed off that Linux can't do something Windows can, yet you refuse to use Windows, you are an idiot linux fanboy only using it because you think it's cool
>>
>>59337427
But X is shit
>>
>>59337459
you never grew up in the days where there was no x
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.