[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>talking to programmer about technology >they don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

>talking to programmer about technology
>they don't actually know anything about it

every time
>>
>>59324326
>talk about technology
please be more specific
>>
>>59324335
>Hey heh what do you think about skylake vs ryzen??
>I don't know or care. I usually just buy macbooks.
>>haha this guy is basically retarded!!
>>
>>59324374
Well, he is still using a macbook in >2017
>>
>>59324326
they need read some vogue and forbes magazine like you OP :(
>>
>>59324326
Information technology > Programming
>>
>>59324386
Still better than the alternatives
>>
>>59324405
On what planet?

>B-but muh macOS
>implying windows is not superior in every way

>B-but muh sleek design
>lmao
>>
>>59324448
For programming macs are far better. Windows is only good for games. If that's why you use it, /v/ is that way.
>>
>>59324335
Just any subject, man. Whether it be computer hardware choices, diferences in manufacturers, industry news, emerging technologies, non-computer tech like cameras, or even how to use common software like image and video editors.

A lot of the programmers I run across are either clueless or very casual in terms of knowledge of these subjects. And a good amount are also very incorrect in some views they tend to hold very strongly (like not being able to see past 24 fps).
>>
>>59324399
Yeah. IT and CS guys tend to be much more into tech as a general interest. Electrical engineers are in this too.

Programmers are usually more into math.
>>
>talking to veteran programmers about programming
This happens way more often than it should

How the fuck do you code for 20 years and not actually know what python is? I don't mean using it, but not even having any idea what the language is like.
>>
>>59324374
I have had this exact conversation. The person I was talking to was a guy that writes printer software for Lexmark.
>>
>>59324543
They were up on the latest shit in the 80s and then got promoted to middle or upper management. Their abilities atrophied since then.

If you're lucky it will happen to you too.
>>
>>59324565
>then got promoted to middle or upper management
I think this is the main explanation really. It still shocks me.
>>
>>59324543
The world would be a way better place if less people were familiar with python
>>
>>59324543
>talking to programmers about programming
FTFY
>>
What does even /g/ mean by the term programmer? I have a masters in computer engineering and would consider myself one.
>>
>>59324496
>he doesn't buy a comfy Windows laptop for $500 and put a comfy Linux environment on it
Pro-Mode: $200 Chromebook with comfy distro installed
>>
>>59324531
>Programmers are usually more into math.
>programmers
>math
LOL

So called "programmers" these days are only into the the hottest new framework and boosting their e-peen through blog posts about said framework.
>>
They don't know about the latest VGA in the market, haha fucking idiots.
>>
>>59324777
Linux takes time. If I have money (programmers do) I'd rather just get a Mac.
>>
>>59324326
Hey Anon,
This is a fantasic way to improve the technology industry and your peers around you. If you avoid being consescending and instead convey a nurturing vibe you can maybe fill in the gaps of a fellow programmer's understanding. We rely on others in the comminity to help us push technology forward, here on the internet. Make your fellow man a better and more complete programmer, and it will directly Improve the technology we use every day. There are surely gaps elsewhere in your knowledge that maybe he does have insight on, and you can take the opportunity to learn from him too. Who knows you might even make a friend for once in your life!
-Anon
>>
>>59324519
None of that is related to programming btw
>>
>>59324326
>I'm a programmer. I live in a chic apartment in San Francisco and finished all the HTML courses on codeacademy
>>
>>59325048
Right. Which is why most programmers don't know much about technology.
>>
>>59324797
A lot of people get into programming because they had coding classes while studying algebra, physics or other math related careers.
>>
>>59324909
>Linux is like a coachroach
I have moved/copied the same installation across mutiple devices since systempwnd came out. Just change fstab and the bootloader and all tools, configs, keys just work.
First I rsynced, now with btrfs I just send the complete rootfs where ever I want.

osx is fine too but I doesn't even come with a package manager and homebrew uses sjw ruby. The hardware is not that special, just looks sweet for the first months, then one wants the next gen because one carves the joy wears off. It's like an addiction.

Windows on a quality business notebooks is ok too, just feels wrong in comparison to the former solutions.
>>
>>59324326
>try talking on /g/ about superscalar pipelined processors
every time
>>
>>59325263
This board has a shit name that is too general and doesn't actually mean anything.
>>
>>59324519

cause all of that shit is useless unless it is your job to know about it
>>
>>59324519
>computer hardware choices, differences in manufacturers, industry news, emerging technologies, non-computer tech like cameras,

I don't know what industry news and emerging technology you're thinking of but otherwise this mostly sounds like non-technical consumer drek of the sort that's really interesting to gamers or other passive consumers, not most people with a technical interest in computers.

>common software like image and video editors.

These are domain-specific tools; not everyone does photo or video editing, and there's a wide swath of CAD tools and design tools you're likely ignorant of yourself. Using someone else's pre-written applications for a narrow field of creative work isn't a facet of broad technical knowledge.
>>
>>59324326
>talking to a software guy about hardware
>"hey which graphics card should i get so that i can gayme my gaymes gaymier"
>"fuck off and die"
>bitch about it on /g/

kys
>>
>>59324797
b-but muh coq and idris and dependent haskell and agda and muh autism desu senpai~~~
>>
>>59325399
It can be those common subjects but it can also be more important subjects to the future of technology like A.I. or new types of lithography. To large extent there is also a great ignorance about what actually drives technology forward, specifically that is not companies like Apple, Google, or Microsoft.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.