[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux is not a desktop operating system. There are two desktop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: 1487968183278.gif (3MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1487968183278.gif
3MB, 200x200px
Linux is not a desktop operating system.
There are two desktop use cases: 1. Home use 2. Business enterprise use
In both these cases linux falls short. In home use, software simply isn't available for many home use cases. Performance is abysmal. Permissions are confusing for laypeople. Etc. All of the server parts of the OS ruin the home user experience. In business use the OS fails to be able to interact with standard business software and groupware.

Linux is only useful for serving up web pages on the cheap, or selling web hosting on the cheap. Another use case, although very narrow, is computation in the strictest sense--render farms and data processing--both of which are NOT desktop uses.

In the use case of server, linux also falls short.
Filesharing uses the gimped out SAMBA which is inferior to plain old windows server with active directory. If you don't know why SAMBA is garbage then you don't have enough experience in the enterprise world.

What would you expect from a 40 year old design where the only innovation is copying other systems. (cups+samba, samba, open directory, kerberos, etc).

Linux isn't even useful as a platform for business communications--there is nothing on it like outlook server--and this is a dead basic requirement for the enterprise. There is no groupware, other than Lotus which is complete shit.

There is no unified authentication for remote users either. You're stuck with a mishmash or kerberos, opendirectory, or maybe even radius thrown in the mix. Totally unacceptable.

Most UNIX innovation was done on Solaris, and their best tools aren't even available on Linux --(dtrace and zfs)--and now that Linux has eaten solaris' lunch, expect no future unix innovation.

Every other use case is better served by a desktop OS.

You linux ppl are fucking delusional!
>>
>>59321370
Okay
>>
alright
>>
>>59321370

i agree but i also hate windows and mac so as a general modern os what should i use then?

no temple os please
>>
>>59321370
tl;dr, faggot
>>
>>59321370
this is why I dual boot hackintosh/windows10 for games and use linux on vms (for dev/testing) and servers only.

the best desktop OS right now is macos, hopefully when apple goes full ios and abandons macos they'll make it open source, so everyone can use it.
>>
>>59321396
Plan9
>>
>>59321370
wrong
>>
>>59321370

>Sysadmin at Fortune 500
>Everyone in the industry is rushing towards Linux for containerization purposes
>Even the Big 4 (Including Microsoft) admit that there is a big future in Linux based services

I bet you manage an Exchange server hosted on Windows Server 2003 at some SMB OP.
>BRUH I GOT MY CCNA AFTER 10 YEARS

Plebs
>>
>>59321424
Or you could just use BSD now instead of waiting for apple's nigger OS
>>
File: pikachu_laughing_6363.gif (15KB, 198x198px) Image search: [Google]
pikachu_laughing_6363.gif
15KB, 198x198px
>>59321370
I'd just like to interject...
>>
File: 1457278501317-0.png (173KB, 329x290px) Image search: [Google]
1457278501317-0.png
173KB, 329x290px
>>59321370
It's a bit too late for this post but whatever.
(You)
>>
File: 1487793429211.jpg (258KB, 857x1189px) Image search: [Google]
1487793429211.jpg
258KB, 857x1189px
>>59321396
Tomato
>>
>>59321451
why not Inferno then?
>>
>>59321370
>performance is abysmal
If this was true it wouldn't be used in servers and critical applications. It has much better performance than it's competition. Make a more believable bait next time.
>>
>>59321499
bsd is just linux with even less software support
>>
>>59321675
Games and stuff run worse on desktop Linux which is the main reason consumers don't switch to it.
>>
>want to make a video about Linux that looks better than something made in Windows Mover Maker
>need to edit the footage in Windows or MacOS because there aren't any professional level video editing programs available for Linux
KEKEKEKEKE
>>
>>59321652
Plan9 has a cooler name
>>
>>59321370
I disagree.

Linux is very dominate (unix systems to) when it comes for server tech. Ubuntu is very easy to use and can replace Windows or OSX for the average user, especially with the introduction of Snappy packages. Linux is dominate on mobile (Android).
>>
>>59321702
They are worse because most of them are built for windows and simply use a wrapper to convert from dx to openGL, which results in an at least 15% performance loss. This means running windows in a VM would give much better gaming performance via passthrough.
Laziness of game developers isn't a flaw in Linux. Something running natively on Linux would have near identical if not better performance.
>>
>>59321756
>I disagree.
>implying OP isn't a memer
>>
>>59321785
he is correct about samba and the no unified authentication for remote users
>>
there are infinite use cases. don't try to reach conclusions with these tricks.
>>
>>59321370
>Linux is not a desktop operating system.
You're right, it's a kernel.

>software simply isn't available for many home use cases.
Like what? Adobe products and a few games? You can run those with PlayOnLinux or in a VM.

>Performance is abysmal.
Bullshit. I'm using 500MB of RAM with Firefox, 3 Terminal windows, and VLC open.

>Permissions are confusing for laypeople.
How? You log in as your user or as root. Root has full system access, users do not.

>All of the server parts of the OS ruin the home user experience.
Such as?

>In business use the OS fails to be able to interact with standard business software and groupware.
Libre Office is compatible with Microsoft Office stuff. I use Debian at work and I haven't had this issue.

>Most UNIX innovation was done on Solaris, and their best tools aren't even available on Linux --(dtrace and zfs)--and now that Linux has eaten solaris' lunch, expect no future unix innovation.
We still have BSD distros and yes, you can use ZFS on GNU/Linux.

Fag
>>
>>59321813
>Linux is not Windows
Amazing isn't it?
>>
>>59321370
>You linux ppl are fucking delusional!

three decades and counting. more for BSD. keep this shitpost in your clipboard and come back in 10 years.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.