[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

want a job in programming and you know you're competent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 18

File: 1488928804867.jpg (120KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1488928804867.jpg
120KB, 1024x768px
want a job in programming and you know you're competent enough but you need a
>degREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>59318416
I whipped up a simple portfolio without any degree and now I'm making 150k
>>
>>59318416
you don't need a degree and if you can't get a job you probably aren't competent.
>>
Is she drinking horse semen??
>>
>>59318416

>writes REEEEEE on a vietnamese basket weaving advice image board unironically

wonders why he doesnt have a job ... if you are so competent?!!

do you also fulfill all the other competency requirements such as:

>having a github profile you can provide
>active LinkedIn Profile with lots of connections
>social media profiles top notch
>twitter
>programming blog to show off your skills
>youtube channel with tutorials (being helpful)
>meaningful contributions to respected open source projects
>networking with companies, recruiters, going to job fairs etc...

if you have all of this - nobody will ask for a degree. Recruiters will come to you.

I think this is another case of a 4chan NEET overestimating what he actually needs to do to get a job. Nobody is going to step into mommys basement and ask for that fat kid with le ebin programming skills.

If you fail to communicate and convey what you can do - how should anyone ever know?!
>>
>>59318438
What does your portfolio hold?
>>
>>59318498
>Social media

Just no lad.

>Github

I dont feel like sharing my own personal stuff.
>>
>>59318530

>Just no lad.
>i dont feel like sharing

k ... what i get out of this is the following:

>I dont like to work in teams, i dont like contact with human beings
>I dont like to contribute to the companies success
>Im an egoist, narcissist who only cares about himself

Why exactly should someone hire you and transfer thousands of dollars into your bank account per month?!

Exactly ... they have no reason to do so because you do not add any value to any company with that attitude.

Not even self employment can save you since you have to do all of what i have described * 3 to get customers.
>>
>>59318438
after 10 years of experience working for peanuts
meanwhile people with degrees get that much right after graduation
>>
>>59318560
I work well in teams.
I would work my ass off if i did get a job in the field.
Im not a very open person when it comes to personal/private stuff.
>>
>>59318612
>no degree
>no work experience
>no online presence
>no demonstration of competence anywhere at all
>>"i'm a coding genius why won't anyone hire me!!!"
>>
>>59318612

>i work well in teams
>i would work my ass off

everyone can CLAIM that ... you have to PROOF that you can do these things.

Why should anyone believe you ever that you can work well in teams?! Just because you say so? Don't you think its fucking stupid to give someone a shit load of money because he says X. Wouldn't you want to make sure that he can actually do what he says?

Do you like to buy a CPU on the street from some guy who says 'ITS THE BEST CPU!" ... No you wouldn't. You would demand actual proof.

>i am not a very open person when it comes to personal/private stuff

duuh ... we aren't talkinga bout personal/private stuff. This is about JOBS/BUSINESS 'stuff'.
>>
>>59318530
>>59318612
Anon it really is simple. People have no idea whether you can program or not, that's why YOU need to be the one to show them. You do this with a degree or a portfolio of your work, like github.

You also need to consider that the people in charge of hiring/recruiting are HR people who have no idea what the fuck you're even supposed to be doing as a software engineer/admin/whatever, so you have to be the one to tailor your application to what you're looking for.
>>
>>59318638
I said im competent enough.
That means better than a fresh CS grad.

Im just young and i dont have any knowledge regarding how to get a job.

>>59318642
I did bust my ass off at a local tech business. i pretty much ended up doing everything for the same shitty salary.

12h workdays 5days per week
600€/mo. salary
>>
>>59318728

im better than you at anything ... what you did at the local tech business i could have done 1000 better than you in a shorter amount of time and i would have been able to up my salary at least 3 times in the time i was working there

this is how you sound btw ... did you finally get the message?

you can't just say shit ... nobody believes it .. you need proof

btw anon ... tmrw it will rain dollars from the sky anyway .. you dont need a job! believe me!!
>>
>>59318746
but what if i cant put my money where my mouth is...
>>
>>59318764

then your words mean nothing
>>
>>59318728
>I said

Surely you understand your word is not enough. Still, if you have some work experience that's a good start. Have you even considered what type of job you want? There's a lot of work you could be doing, in so many languages and at so many levels.

>>59318764
How?
>>
>>59318416
>horse girls
literally always swipe left
nothing says crazy bitch more than a profile with a horse riding photo
>>
>>59318560

Is this actually how retarded people are?

How does not having a github translate to not contributing to a company's success?

I swear, the fuck? Nigger I won't contribute to your cause for free.
>>
>>59318813

signalling anon .. its basic economics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signalling_(economics)
>>
>want to be programmer
>start learning programming
>takes a year to get decent
>start applying for entry level junior roles
>get hired
>6 years later i run a team of 8

Grow up you fucking faggot and apply yourself, its not hard
>>
https://www.slideshare.net/perlcareers/how-to-write-a-developer-cvrsum-that-will-get-you-hired
>>
>>59318813
M8 that's not what's being said. The point is visible contribution to a project is one way to prove your competence to potential employers.
>>
>>59318477
i may or may not have seen a movie of it
>>
>>59318612
Serious question: how do you expect a prospective employer to figure out if you can code or not?
>>
Let me hijack this thread because it's related:

Where do you find open source projects that are somewhat easy to contribute to?

And when's a good time to start creating a GitHub with some personal projects?

I'm still in my first year at CS and I have personal some programming experience which makes the programming courses quite easy, however I think my code is still kinda spaghetti and I wouldn't feel confident to upload that stuff and let companies judge that in a couple of years when I'm done.
>>
>>59318813
"I'm the best programmer on the planet"
"Great! Could you show some work you've done?"
"Oh I've never had a job and I don't contribute to free projects because I'm not a dumb goy who won't work for free. Just take my work for it, I'm the best."
"Sounds amazing. We'll call you."
>>
>>59318774
>>59318777
>trips checked

I am afraid of failure. I'll do anything to prevent it though. I've sent about over 40 applications since february. less than half of them have even bothered to respond only with a negative response.

Languages im most comfortable with: Java, Python and JS

Could i have any tips for a portfolio? Something that will catch the eye of a recruiter.
>>
>>59318416
Is that bottom left picture real?
>>
>>59318477
no.
>>
want a job in programming and you know you're competent enough but you need to balance a
>binary trEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>59318875
>I wouldn't feel confident to upload that stuff and let companies judge that in a couple of years when I'm done.

don't worry about that seriously. Its normal. When you can show how you improved over time its not a big deal.

Nobody expects that you write beautiful code on day 1 thats commercially viable.

>>59318880

>Could i have any tips for a portfolio?

well i mean with Java, Python and JS the possibilities are pretty much endless in terms of projects.

Just try to find something that can be applicable in a real life situation and be valuable for a business to show off that you can do things that can make money.
>>
>>59318875
>easy to contribute to
Fuck off
>>
>>59318875
Boost C++ Libraries
>>
>>59318416
Cd code ..
Cd code ..
cd ls
pushd code
Pushd cd code ls -lr ..
>>
>>59318876
>>59318847
>>59318826

I bet you cucks let Jerome take your girlfriend for a spin too.
>>
>>59318875
your code is never gonna be perfect, just relax and push to git. lots of people write code shittier that yours. programmers wont gather in your repo to laugh on how retarded your code is - they all been there. at the end of the day you either have code on github or you dont have code on github. bottom line you can always rewrite later.
>>
File: 1487378535852.png (950KB, 1000x669px) Image search: [Google]
1487378535852.png
950KB, 1000x669px
>>59318875
Try to use as much open source software as you can in your toolchain. I guarantee you, sooner or later something will break.

When it breaks, fix it. Don't worry about delivering it every time if you're not comfortable with that yet. Just get practice exploring new codebases and fixing bugs. You will learn so much. You'll find a few projects that you get comfortable with the source code of, and those will probably be your bread and butter for open source contributions.

If you're learning a new tool, and find something missing/vague in the docs, fix it and send it back.
>>
>>59318940

calm down cleetus. Not my fault the ebil jews are keeping the white man down! XD!!

>>>/pol/ is that way btw
>>
>>59318952
dis
>>
>>59318498
this is true

t. 6-8 recruiters message me everyday on linkedin
>>
Don't bother with degrees, make a portfolio hopefully public on the web. Just make up company names or say it had to be confidential. But just make a few examples. Just say it handles their sales or internal needs and operations and be willing to give them a demo of it. Knew people with "bachelor's degrees" who couldn't make a hello world. Also be ready and willing to lie about knowing some obscure variant of your language. HR shits are blatantly retarded and think that it will take you weeks to learn Java "gay version that nobody uses except for us" even if you legitimately have 10 years of Java experience. They want you to regurgitate exactly what is written on the posting. They are too retarded for example to understand that if you know 1001 OOP languages, learning a new OOP language will be a day long learning process. They just throw your entire application out. Programming is infected with losers who always want to stay in theory land and have their gay little tests, nobody in the private sector gives a shit about this. They want you to learn their business model and then make the program around it so you can help them make money or reduce stress. If you don't have basic business skills or have autism and plan on staying in theory land, go to a shooting range and rent a 9mm gun for $20 and kill yourself now.
>>
>>59318438
Im an engineer with no degree. Just upgraded my job from 100k to 160k. About 10 years experience, rose basically linearly from 40k to 100k. Degrees can help but there are plenty of places where they arent really important. In those companies actual performance and the ability to communicate are thr most important.

Just remember there are lots of companies where this isnt the case - dont work for those. When management cant tell actual talent/ability from sizzle/bs they have to fall back on something like a degree or certs. If you dont have a degree those places sort of filter themselves out for you because they wont call you for an interview :)
>>
File: giphy (2).gif (445KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (2).gif
445KB, 500x281px
>>59318940
>tfw you and the bois take jerome for a spin in muh russia
>>
>>59318880
Do you know any html or css? You could get some web dev job if you wanted.
You could also learn a more core language like C# if you want to get into software dev.
You can also learn common development methodologies like agile so you can say you 'have experience' with them and know how those environments work.
Work on open sores projects, contribute to them, add those to your portfolio, you won't get paid for shit because no one knows who you are or what you can do.
You can also make a fully responsive website if you want to go the web dev route.

The point is, sitting there and saying "I'm the best in the world" and not having anything to back it up or being completely unwilling to lift a finger will never get you a job. If you want to work for anybody The number one thing people care about today is your softskills. Nobody locks themselves in a cave for 8 months and emerges with a revolutionary project. Being completely unwilling to participate in social media reflects very poorly on you as a person. You can REE REE REEEE all you want about it, it won't change the way possible employers look at you. A good start would be to reach out to a friend you've lost touch with who works in industry, just touch bases with him and catch up it might lead to something.
>>
>>59318940
What's the problem?
>>
>>59318880
I just finished >>59318838
It's a great starting point, and reflects my experience as well. You need to prepare and target your application to the job you're looking for.

You see a position working as a backend developer for whatever, with Java required. You're going to take that Java, and put it first in your CV. Everything else is secondary, you're going to attract attention on the fact that you know Javas. Your public repos will reflect that. Your cover letter will reflect that. Make sure HR can CTR+F through it, and make it interesting for the technical peeps as well.
>>
>falling for the code monkey meme
You fucking idiots. Objectively the best career choice is to get a cozy government job (preferably one with skills that are useful in the private sector if your department ever gets cut) and to keep technology as a hobby. If you make your hobby your job and do it 9-5, 5 days a week, you'll get burnt out on it pretty fast.
>>
>>59319064
The advice I got was to code monkey 1-3 years then go for a consultant job.
>>
>>59319094
how did that work for you? :^)
>>
>>59319064
Getting into IT project management is a very solid job that won't burn you out on coding.
>>
>>59319038
Pretty much no friends any more because of my last work "experience".
3 years pretty much no-lifing work takes a toll on your social life.
>>
>>59318918
With 'easy' I meant projects where you can easily send a PR via GitHub and someone will actually look at it and also no big projects like the Linux kernel or Chromium where I don't even know which chunk of code does what.

>>59318916
>>59318928
>>59318949
>>59318952
Thanks for the tips! Guess I'll start with cleaning up my old code a bit and push it.
>>
>>59318416
Degrees don't mean shit. I have a degree and I couldn't even get a job interview until I put side projects only my resume.
>>
>>59319191
What kinds of side projects do you have?
>>
>>59319191
What side projects did you do? Direct me in to the light please.
>>
File: mathphd.jpg (34KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
mathphd.jpg
34KB, 640x427px
>>59318438

>phd in math
>any job i want
>300k starting
>>
>>59318477
It's supposedly high in protein and a diet supplement.
>>
>>59319204
I made a handwriting recognition web app that used a trained neural network and genetic algorithms

got me a bunch of interviews
>>
>>59319265
Sounds dank, what's it written in?
>>
Degrees get you through the HR filter and projects get you hired

This has been common knowledge for the past 10 years.
>>
>>59319265
Would a business e-mail translator be a good idea?

I feel like its gonna be a solid year full of work for me.
Besides ive done a shitton of english business mail translations for my dad..

Puts me off a little because google has done a pretty solid translator.
>>
>>59319325
Do you mean a translator that takes a normal sentence and spiced it up with business minded buzzwords and phrases or just a regular language translator?
>>
>>59319311
Java for back-backend
node js exec's command line arg to neural net\
frontend is just bootstrap & jquery
>>
>>59319356
Takes a message and translates it correctly or just really close enough and you could do it backwards aswell.

Some e-mails i had to translate were really fucking difficult.

And when i put the entire text in to Google Translate, it pretty much translates in to mixture of random words and untranslated words.
>>
File: 7c7.jpg (10KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
7c7.jpg
10KB, 267x200px
>>59319418

>thinks he can make a better translation service than google all by himself

rly?! maybe step down a bit and don't aim too high
>>
Self-taught programmer here. No degree and actually no formal education whatsoever (I was "home" "educated"). I've been doing remote freelance for a year and a half, a lot of it for one company, and in that time I've
>developed ~85% of a reasonably large SaaS webapp with Node/Express/Nginx/MSSQL, currently in production
>built two Android apps
>built an iOS app
>built many workflow automation tools
>built a Wordpress theme from scratch and customised others
>built a sales-focused mostly-static informational site with quite a nice UI and attention to capturing conversion-related metrics
among other stuff.

I want to get a real, non-remote job soon, but it's daunting.
>rural area means a huge commute to anywhere with a programming industry
>can't drive
>no education to list
>no github presence
>social stuntedness means I have a lack of references
>never been in any full-time employment, not even burger flipping
>I look ridiculously young which I'm certain would make it hard to take me seriously in a professional environment
>don't even own a suit
I know the answer is just to get over it, shut the fuck up, and find solutions for this list one entry at a time. But it really is hard.
>>
>>59318477
Looks like casein
>>
>>59319464
self taught here too but worked at a 'real' job

going to freelance now, maybe you can have my old job haha, no one can't beat top of the top freelancers when you're making 70usd/hr
>>
>>59319325
Ideally you want to write stuff you yourself would find useful. Something you found lacking or you wish you had at some point, and decided to implement yourself. Not too dissimilar from writing a bash script to automate some shit.

>>59319391
Java for the algorithm itself? I would've thought matlab wrapped in python or some such. Tried some Visual Computing with Java once (rendering pipeline), but I didn't think it that powerful, so went back to C++/matlab.
>>
>>59319454
I dont think i can do a universal translator.
More like focused on one business type.

I got around 100 translated business emails. saved that i could use as base for keywords.
>>
File: 1464771338875.gif (996KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
1464771338875.gif
996KB, 500x300px
>>59319265
>this is what is required to get an INTERVIEW
>>
>>59318477
>implications
>>
>>59319506
Yeah, I wrote the neural network and genetic algorithm from scratch. No libraries or anything used whatsoever.

Gave me a much deeper understanding of how it all works together
>>
>>59319515
Not required. You can get one without it. But it helps. IT is a very competitive field, go cry yourself to sleep over it nancy.
>>
>>59319515
I went straight for 100k / yr positions with no experience or schooling, had to back it up somehow.
>>
>>59319227
If you're gonna do the meme, do it right at least
>>
>>59318477
it's the implication
>>
>>59319515

>I don't want to do work to get work

Should have picked a different field matey.
>>
>>59319568

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/mathematics-phd

the meme was done scientifically accurate .. what are you complaining about pal?
>>
>>59319502
Good luck anon. The inconsistency is really stressful. I now really just want traditional reliable "sit at my cubicle at a regular schedule and write whatever C# business logic app the boss tells me to" employment.
>>
>>59318416
Why not work for yourself? Why do you need someone to guide you?
>>
>>59319598
I've found the work to be very steady and rewarding, currently have 4 different clients on 20-40hr week 50-100usd an hour

most of them are automated financial trading systems that have weird little bugs that i fix
>>
>>59319595
>random guy makes comment on anime board
>fact checks it

you got hooked by him mate
>>
>>59319464
>and find solutions for this list one entry at a time. But it really is hard.
See, you already know what to do.

You can even start by sending out your resume, good things can happen.

>rural area means a huge commute to anywhere with a programming industry
Depends how huge huge is, but that can well be a non issue. It's a nuisance, but don't let that stop you. And you can move anyway once you get a job and are able to support yourself.
>can't drive
>no education to list
>social stuntedness means I have a lack of references
>never been in any full-time employment, not even burger flipping
>I look ridiculously young which I'm certain would make it hard to take me seriously in a professional environment
>don't even own a suit
Again, not ideal, but that's not really stopping you from getting a job.
>no github presence
Do I even need to tell you what you should do about this?

Have you ever applied for a job at all?
>>
>>59319556
>no experience or schooling

Didn't you say you have a degree? Anyway well done, hats off to you.
>>
>>59318940
What does that have to do with anything? It's just that it's very easy to lie. Here, maybe this will simplify it enough for you to understand: this is the business equivalent to "pics or it didn't happen".
>>
>>59318587
Meanwhile they have to struggle to find a job and once they do they'll be forming over a sizable chunk to pay Uncle Sam back those student loans... yea no thanks
>>
>>59318416
I've had two interviews this week and no degree

Still not in though :(

But it's possible. You have to fill your degree hole with meetups and networking
>>
>>59319767
If you're making 100k+ right out of the gate and you don't go full retard with your living situation when you see your first paycheck it's pretty easy to pay back a student loan and be debt-free in sub 10 years.Plus at the end of that 10 year chunk you're making more than 100k which only helps to speed up the pay-back process.

Student loans are only a major issue if you pick a dead career field borrow for.
>>
>>59319010
how do you know what places wont care about degrees
>>
>>59318728
Better than a fresh CS grad? I honestly doubt it. If what you're saying is true, link your git.
>>
>>59319948
If want to do web development for some local Mexican shop, sure, a degree doesn't matter.

If you want to do the fun stuff like artificial intelligence, machine learning, or artificial neural networks at Google, then yeah, you need a degree.
>>
>>59319820
Read books on new tech and you don't need to network, they will come to you
>>
>>59319518
>>59319578
>implication
Bitch, the horse has a stiffy in the lower left.
>>
File: 1488416589084.jpg (569KB, 1113x1170px) Image search: [Google]
1488416589084.jpg
569KB, 1113x1170px
>>59318416
>that image
>>
>>59318416
My sister's fiance dropped out of community college because his family couldn't afford it, but then he got hired by Google. He's also spent a year working at Apple and then moved back to google.

It's definitely doable without a degree, but you need to make sure the company you're applying to doesn't require a degree. It also helps if you really know your shit.
>>
File: futuramafry.jpg (10KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
futuramafry.jpg
10KB, 300x300px
>>59320423

is that a sneaky covert white nationalist fantasy anon?
>>
>>59320438
But anon I'm not white
>>
>>59320468

well kinda makes sense i guess. I thought you were mad that the non white fiance of your sister took advantage of all affirmative action memes and actually got hired by google without a degree (just like the /g/ nazis say it happens).

or is he white? that could be the next twist of the story
>>
>>59320488
None of us are white, but we're all American.
He was working on the Google glass project and when that got cancelled Apple recruited him. He stayed there for a while but he moved back to google a few months ago.
>>
>>59319825
can confirm this
went to community college to get most of gen eds out of the way before transferring for my 4 year

i'm on my last semester and got an offer for 75k/year job and currently have only 20k debt

though uni is kind of a joke nowadays, way too many retards get hand-held through the entire thing, you don't really learn much if you don't go out of your way to learn anything
>>
this thread is cancer
>>
>>59318807
>swipe left
wat does that mean?
>>
>>59320699

Tinder you loser
>>
>>59318807

Vet student here, you're absolutely right to do so.

Horse women are a breed of their own.
>>
>>59320716
Sorry that i'm not a fucking normie on 4chan m8!
>>
>>59320699
it means
>i am a retarded millennial
>>
>>59320738
>retarded millennial
>New phone apps
Choose one.
>>
>>59319767
>incurring a sizeable amount of debt to get a degree
lol
>>
>>59320331
Horses always have stiffies though.
>>
I don't want to fall for the wagecuck meme.
How do i make the next snapchat, but instead sell it after an year and retire at 20?
>>
>>59318416
no you don't..

just use your pgrogramming to do your own thing.

start a website, make money from affilates. make an app and sell it or make money from ads.
>>
>>59318477
Horse cum looks different.
>>
>>59318416
Build a portfolio good enough to btfo all degree fags.
>>
>>59320937
You would know
>>
>>59319948
>>>59319010
>how do you know what places wont care about degrees

Glassdoor can help figure that out but you wont necessarily know before the interview. You can know after the interview based on the kinds of things they asked you about. Did they ask you a lot of technical questions, look for deep understanding of concepts, maybe make you write/design something? OR did they ask you a bunch of bullshit behavioral interviewing questions like "tell me about your greatest weakness"?

And frankly, if you're really good with no degree, you'll know because you got an offer.
>>
File: 14154909219501.png (83KB, 264x192px) Image search: [Google]
14154909219501.png
83KB, 264x192px
>>59318901

>sperg out at interview
>get rejected
>"WOOOOOW NICE INTERVIEW PROCESS GOOGLE"
>>
>>59318416
>>degREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I love /g/
>>
>>59318498
>social media profiles
Fuck this. Gihub, yes, but anything "social" is bullshit,
>>
File: roy.jpg (23KB, 307x258px) Image search: [Google]
roy.jpg
23KB, 307x258px
>github
>>
>>59319767
> living in America
>>
>>59319767
Student loans are for stupid people with irresponsible parents who didn't properly save for their children's education. If your family can't afford to send you to college, then they really fucked up and you shouldn't get a chance to go at all.
>>
does Software Engineering pay well compared to Computer Science?
>>
>>59323796
b8/10 kys if you were actually serious.
>>
>>59318612
>Associating social media with cuckbook
Just make a LinkedIn account you faggotlord. And like the other guy said, how the fuck will companies know about you if you don't advertise yourself?
You have to be fucking autistic to be this retarded.
>>
>>59320716
>Tinder you loser
I thought only desperate faggots used that shitty free prostitution app.
>>
>>59318438
I was supposed to be making 120k a year 6 months ago. At the end of my first year of employment, I would instead end up making just over 200k. Acquisitions are great. I did have a degree though.
>>
>>59320113
You need a PhD for that. They don't even accept master's, except for engineering or internships, and even internships are stupid hard to get.
>>
File: 1488935709544.png (208KB, 386x328px) Image search: [Google]
1488935709544.png
208KB, 386x328px
>>59318416
>horse riders
>>
File: Selection_20170310_01:01:19.png (10KB, 495x110px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_20170310_01:01:19.png
10KB, 495x110px
>>59320716
>>
It's particularly stupid that I don't have a degree since my country will pay for it, covering all tuition (not a loan) and also provide a living expenses bursary. But I'm 23 and I feel like I missed my chance, so to speak. A degree at 26 presumably doesn't mean the same thing to employers as a degree at 21, and I wouldn't get the same social experience as teenagers. And I'm making reasonable money freelance, so it's not like I can't make do without it.

Still. I would need one if I ever wanted to emigrate as a skilled worker. And I feel like the longer I wait, the less feasible it gets to ever do it. I also legitimately WANT to learn the more academically rigorous side of programming which I definitely missed out on as a self-taught code monkey. I could drop my freelance work with hardly any notice and just go for it.

I'm torn. What would /g/ do?
>>
>>59318416
I'm studying for a degree currently and landed a job as a PHP developer. Embellish your CV pal
>>
>>59324859
ayo y u gotsta b actin likes dat cuz aint nothin he dun wrong
>>
>>59324893
Freelance and study, then move.
>>
>>59324925
I don't have any actual immediate desire to move to Australia or whatever. It's more a fear that by letting this chance slip by, I'm permanently closing some pretty huge doors for myself.
>>
>>59318416

being able to hello world in hipster programming languages doesn't make you competent

try this instead

>>59318498
>>
>>59324903
How though?
>>
>>59318416
If you need a degree, you're just not competent enough
>>
Should I take a degree in programming? or can I learn it by myself?
>>
Half of the internet says that there is an incredible tech skill shortage and that anyone who can write fizzbuzz can get an insane starting salary. The other half says you're absolutely fucked without a degree. My conclusion is that nobody has any fucking clue what they're talking about and are just regurgitating their personal experiences.
>>
>>59318891
Yes, believe it or not horses have dicks too.
>>
>>59318416
She's drinking horse semen, isn't she?
>>
>>59319010
How do you actually get an interview for an engineering position at a company without having a degree? I know "job requirements" are negotiable, but usually a degree from an accredited university is their core requirement and they won't consider you without one.
>>
>>59327048
I learned it by myself- at least enough to do fullstack webdev in Node et al, write apps, and to make 3D games in C++. However,
1) I can't write more advanced things like cryptography, compression, compilers, physics, or really anything that requires serious analysis of algorithms or math more advanced than linear algebra. These subjects interest me but I would seriously question whether I could part-time self-teach myself these kind of things
2) There are many jobs where the lack of degree is either an absolute barrier or a massive disadvantage compared to more qualified candidates
3) I couldn't take work outside the EU (even if I were offered such positions) because a degree is usually either an absolute or de facto requirement for a work visa
For these reasons I'm seriously considering going and getting formal schooling after all.

Can you program at all right now? What are your circumstances in general?
>>
>>59322606
>>"WOOOOOW NICE INTERVIEW PROCESS GOOGLE"
>blog post immediately hits #1 on hacker news and r/programming
>>
>>59327197 (Me)
>write apps
Meaning Android and iOS apps specifically. Basically I have a wide breadth of knowledge (web back, web front, db, desktop, mobile, etc) but not enough depth for what I ideally want to do.
>>
File: 1462983726114.jpg (329KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1462983726114.jpg
329KB, 1280x720px
>>59327197
>>Can you program at all right now? What are your circumstances in general?

No programming at all, I am not looking into doing 3d modeling or anything 3d, I want to learn how to make 2d programs that display information like a HUD for example
>>
File: 1487654179568.jpg (225KB, 750x1057px) Image search: [Google]
1487654179568.jpg
225KB, 750x1057px
>>59327180
>>59327180
You either have to know somebody or have a godlike competence level, to the point where you are well-known.

My father doesn't have a degree but he is a lead test development engineer at a company that builds fabs for chipmakers. He got the job because his now-boss was my Eagle Scout advisor.

I am an autistic car salesman so don't take me too seriously.
>>
>>59327243
I might be way off about this, but I would intuitively expect that most people going into a CS course would have played around with some kind of programming themselves first and probably found a passion for it.

Do you want to program as your career, or as a hobby? Self-teaching yourself enough to make the HUD-like programs you describe is absolutely doable.
>>
Just lie and then do whatever test they give you during the interview. A single test is usually what stands between you and a programming job.
>>
>>59327278
>Self-teaching yourself enough to make the HUD-like programs you describe is absolutely doable.

I wouldn't know where to start, and if my computer is even powerful enough to run it
>>
>>59319321
This right here.

Your degree (doesn't even matter what it's in), gets you past the initial HR screen. Quality content on your resume and good interview skills get you the job. Here's what I look for when hiring new people:

1.) Does this person know anything about the company and our line of business? "I went to your website" doesn't cut it. Go to one of our shops, talk to people, understand the mission statement.
2.) Does this person seem like they would be a good culture fit? Do they think they're the smartest guy in the room? Pass. Even if they are, they're going to be a pain in the ass to manage.
3.) We I ask "Tell me how you knew you had a successful day at work", they cite measurable metrics and examples.
4.) When I ask "Tell me about a project you worked on that didn't go well", they bring up things that they could have done better instead of blaming PMs and colleagues.

t. IT Director
>>
>>59327346
>Does this person know anything about the company and our line of business? "I went to your website" doesn't cut it. Go to one of our shops, talk to people, understand the mission statement.

Holy shit that's pretty fucked up.
>>
>>59327322
There are tons of ways to make a HUD, anon. Look into HTML, then Javascript and interacting with the DOM. Then figure out how to use CSS to make it look nice. Push that shit on GitHub and you're good.
>>
>>59327404
It is? I'm expected to hire someone who doesn't know who their working for? That's fucked up.

If you want to work for a company, you research that company. You find out what the employees think about it, you find out if they're ethical, if they're fair, if you believe in what they're doing.

The last person I want to hire is a person who's just there to collect a paycheck. I can hire a cheap Indian if that was the case.
>>
>>59327440
Thanks anon. I don't think I'd post it anywhere though
>>
>>59327322
>I wouldn't know where to start
I can't recommend any in particular, but there are lots of free online books/video series/etc. I would suggest learning Python first- it's a traditional beginner's language but it's also useful enough that you can make "real" apps with it. As you gain more experience, the language stops mattering so much since it gets easy to pick up new ones.

You will likely start by making simple command-line apps to teach you the basic concepts and structures. Things like "allow the user to enter their name and output it backwards", "calculate the average of this list of numbers", reading stuff from files, etc. Graphics will probably come a bit later on.

>and if my computer is even powerful enough to run it
You can program even on very old computers. If you have something that can browse the web and has a full keyboard, you can learn to program with it. 2D HUDs are very unlikely to be resource intensive either. Even if you do eventually want to make something that would need large amounts of resources, you certainly don't need them to learn.

You don't need to take any special leaps to get started. You can do it today. Download Python (or, if you use OSX, you already have it) and find a good book or tutorial.

>>59327440
HTML/CSS/JS is another route and it has a key advantage of offering immediately visual results- but personally I would encourage anon to play around with some Python first, since it's more clearly structured and there are higher quality learning resources.
>>
File: 1480012577724.png (260KB, 620x640px) Image search: [Google]
1480012577724.png
260KB, 620x640px
how are you supposed to get a job in programming if you live in the middle of no where?
>>
Is there a website you guys reccomend in learning programming? A quick google search gives me codeacademy but I want to hear your opinions
>>
>>59318498
Useful advice, on MY /g/?
>>
>>59327556
codecademy is fine for learning basic syntax if you've never written a line of code before I guess. Your best bet is to get a book and try some practice questions or something.
>>
>>59327515
Five options come to mind, in rough order of life impact:
1) Fully remote freelancing. I'm doing this currently. Would only recommend freelance if you have something to fall back on; I don't and it's therefore stressful as fuck.
2) Fully remote full-time job. Rare, far more likely to happen with a trendy startup than with a large firm. Expect to be underpaid relative to physically present employees.
3) Full-time job that is not fully remote but allows a lot of work to be done from home so that you don't need to commute every day. More common than 2. but still rare; working from home is often considered a luxury/privilege so you probably won't find this when starting out.
4) Suck it up and commute every day.
5) Move to a city (or closer to one).
>>
>>59327640
Nah not a fan of books , I use online and am looking for website that helps
>>
>>59327669
It doesn't have to be a dead tree book. An ebook (or a pirated PDF of one) would work fine. There is just something to be said for a well-written, carefully-edited linear series of pages as opposed to a website.
>>
God that always fucking sucks
>>
>>59327660
what exactly do you do to get clients as a freelance programmer? just use those freelance websites?
>>
File: jewishjones.jpg (186KB, 2048x1024px) Image search: [Google]
jewishjones.jpg
186KB, 2048x1024px
>>59318438
>i'm making 150k
I make 180k working as a chef at wendys
>>
Got my degree three months ago, but I'm nearly 30 and wanted to finish as fast as possible with full-time summer semesters while not going bankrupt so couldn't find any internships before I graduated. Put up some small course projects on github and really tried for an entry level job, but just didn't get any bites. I got maybe two legit interviews since I graduated and my savings are dwindling fast, so I bit the bullet and signed up with a bootcamp that'll train, fluff my resume, and market me in exchange for signing away two years with them.

Could be worse, OP.
>>
>>59327983
Ayy lmao kys scrub
>>
>>59327995
Thought about it, but I'm doing way better and things are looking up really. I've got years of shitposting left in me.
>>
A degree isn't to prove your competency at a given domain of knowledge, it is to prove you can stick with something for a few years and live up to institutional expectations.

aka it's proof you can hand your work in on time.
>>
>>59327983
it's about location location location.

Are you near a big city? Does that city have a decent tech sector?

If not you'll never do anything beyond help desk or install.
>>
>>59328793
I'm near enough to Houston, but nearly all the entry level positions I've found here offer no training and ask for 3+ years of experience on several things (I apply anyway, but always get turned down).

I've even been ignored or turned down for help desk, though these also asked for several years experience for some odd reason. I think I just graduated at a bad time and companies are just starting to hire people to train this month, but I don't have the luxury of waiting.

I've considered moving to Austin, as well as work on a better portfolio, but I got insurance and prescriptions to pay if I want to keep healthy and not go bankrupt in two or three months. This company will probably bleed me, but at least they're reimbursing and covering me for a lot while I move out to the D.C. area.
>>
>>59318807
You're right. Perseued one for a bit. They're the spoiled girl who actually got a pony. Horses are dumb, cost a ton to maintain, and don't really do much a car can't. Horse girls are brats.
>>
I'm an Undergraduate student for Computer Engineering in my third year. I don't what I'm really getting myself into when it comes to the job market. I've done research but haven't met other people that were in the same shoes. Anyone on this malaysian basket weaving website got any insight on what to expect, what to do and what to aim for after I finish my degree?
>>
>>59318498
good advice
>>
>>59318985
I read your post
>>
>>59329122

I recommend these steps:

Become good with people, if you aren't already. I've been rejected for jobs due to poor people skills despite great technical ability.
Work on some projects in your spare time. Employers might ask to see your github.
Get internships. Here in New Zealand they're manditory for getting a degree but I don't know about your part of the world.
Thread posts: 180
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.