[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a 4790k, Gigabyte Z97X board, and 3 sets of 16gb DDR3

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: 1486000116525.png (285KB, 476x530px) Image search: [Google]
1486000116525.png
285KB, 476x530px
I have a 4790k, Gigabyte Z97X board, and 3 sets of 16gb DDR3 ram

I have this problem that I have never had, and I have been building PC's awhile and I'm wondering if anyone can help

Say I have both sticks in, the PC is running with 16gb, and I turn it off. If I turn it back on, it will cycle post codes and not post. If I take one stick out, it will post and boot fine. When I turn it off, add the other stick back in, it will again boot fine.

If I turn it off and turn it back on after 10-20 minutes with one stick in, and I try to start it, it will cycle post codes and not post. If I add the second stick, it will post fine and boot fine. So it doesn't matter whether 8gb or 16gb is in the motherboard, it just won't post/start unless I take one out or add one in.

It makes no sense.

Basically whatever configuration I leave it in, 1 stick or 2, when I shut it off I have to do the opposite to get it to boot.

I don't get it at all. It does with this all 3 sets of 16gb ram I have, so I know the memory is not the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>59292415
Consider me dumb, but it sounds like either the Motherboard cannot clock properly to the RAM (Say, 2333Mhz is your standard.) You should try to test the frequency range to see if any improvement is spotted, and if you can grab some old DDR3 from a Hoop-dee machine to test out. Vary between frequencies. If the same frequency yeilds the same POST stop, you have a dying BIOS and should have it replaced immediately. If it works fine, your RAM is defective and needs replacing.
>>
>>59292415
Your motherboard is fucked.
>>
File: file_0.png (485KB, 1261x670px) Image search: [Google]
file_0.png
485KB, 1261x670px
Buy our all new AMD Ryzen CPU starting at 320 USD! Call now and we'll remove your Intel planned obselence right away!
>>
File: 1457021158316.png (976KB, 512x768px) Image search: [Google]
1457021158316.png
976KB, 512x768px
>>59292735
>>
>>59292561

well its ddr3 2400 and yeah it doesn't seem like the speed matters, I've tried underclocking overclocking, more voltage. I don't think the ram is bad because I have three different sets and it does it all on every set..

I'll try and see if I can update the bios.

>>59292641

Yeah I think so too. sigh.

thanks for the help guys
>>
File: 1456582924071.jpg (36KB, 614x521px) Image search: [Google]
1456582924071.jpg
36KB, 614x521px
>>59293113
Don't thank me, the other guys were the ones who helped.
Take care.
>>
Huh, I had the exact same issue with my last PC. It was time to replace it, so I didn't look into it, but it seemed like the mobo as well in that case.
>>
>>59293113
What do you mean underclocking? As in, how far? Have you tried the most barebones 1066MHz settings imaginable?

Sounds like a potential mobo issue anyway, have you tried different slots too?
>>
>>59293245
I think it is safe to assume that if they tried different sets they are smart enough to try different slots
>>
>>59292415
Turn fast boot off
>>
>>59293245

Yeah I've tried basically running it at a stupid low ratio, normal, and high, every XMP profile, 1.65v, 1.4v, 1.5v, it really doesn't matter. It's stupid because say I have two sticks in with 16gb, I can restart, make changes in the bios, and boot in no problem in any configuration. But if I shut down and the system loses power for even for 5 seconds I have to either take a stick out, or add a stick otherwise it will just loop post codes.

>>59293263

Yeah I have tried different slots, doesn't change anything.

>>59293288

It's already off

I think the motherboard is just fucked.
>>
>>59293395
Just to be clear, does this only happen if you physically remove power from the PC, as in unplug it or does regular shutdown cause it to fuck up?
>>
Bad dimm slot
>>
>>59293451

Just a regular shut down. In either 8gb or 16gb configurations, on a cold start once I get it to post (either by taking a stick out or adding it), I can make changes, restart, make changes again, etc. Its when I shut down and the system loses power that I have to either add or take a stick out.

So say it has no power, with both sticks in. I start it, it loops, I shut it off. I take one stick out, it starts, posts, I shut it down and add another stick, and it posts and boots fine. If I shut it down again, it won't post/boot unless I take one out. It's like this with one or two sticks in with the power off.
>>
Call Gigabyte and bitch about it, either they will be helpful or tell you to refund it.
>>
>>59293512
No idea then really. I had a Z87 board that used to boot differently the first time after the computer was plugged in. It would start, run for a few seconds, shut down on its own, start up on its own and boot normally. It wasn't unstable or anything, but that was its boot process, I was wondering if yours might be doing something like that too.

I can only imagine this being a hardware fault, on the CPU or mobo side. CPUs generally don't go bad and this sort of weird as shit behavior is generally due to a mobo on its way out, so that's what I'd suspect first. Your situation is odd though because it doesn't look like a slot is simply fucked, since it behaves the same way no matter which slots you use.
>>
>>59293729

Yeah its weird, sometimes these things are just broken and there is no logical explanation as to why.

I'm pretty sure its the mobo. I'll just get a new one later this week

Anyway thanks for the help man I appreciate it
>>
Rate my build please? Is it possible to build a better machine for the same amount?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VggMD8
>>
>>59296566
>Micro-ATX board
>ATX case
Stop trying to compensate for your small dick and get a micro-ATX case to match.
>>
>>59296656
>That's the only bad thing he can say about it
Guess it's perfect, thanks

I plan on setting up a RAID in the future so I need the space btw
>>
>>59296748
then get an ATX board
>>
>>59296803
Later, when I get new hard drives
>>
>>59296830
Why the fuck would you buy a micro-atx as a stop gab? What are you saving, 30 whole dollars?
>>
>>59297232
Sorry I was high earlier, I'm getting a proper mobo now.
>>
>>59297601
you don't need ATX to do RAID, this mini-ITX case holds 6 hard drives:
http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-304-black
>>
>>59297685
My Fractal R2 Array case holds 4 drives (mini itx). It's pretty beast.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.