[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>OS X on a macbook: >smb broken, supposedly worked on older

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: apple mocks japan.jpg (236KB, 1200x835px) Image search: [Google]
apple mocks japan.jpg
236KB, 1200x835px
>OS X on a macbook:
>smb broken, supposedly worked on older versions
>mtp unsupported
>bluetooth for anything but a keyboard or mouse is fifty shades of buggy and unstable
>random little bugs everywhere, no folder merging

>Linux on a thinkpad t410:
>install KDE, everything just werks
>literally everything

Is apple even trying, or have they given up on non-mobile shit entirely?
>>
>>59265630
Nope. Also Windows 10 works better than both mactoddler shit and gnu/hobOS
>>
>>59265650
Windows 10 doesn't work, it just has better drivers
>>
>>59265665
>Windows 10 doesn't work
>t. mactoddler
Just because you're too stupid to use it doesn't mean it doesn't work.
>>
>>59265709
Windows is almost bad as OS X in terms of actual OS functionality.

If you want your OS to have more features than "supports photoshop and dark souls featuring dante from the devil may cry series!" both are trash. Windows is the better consumer trash, and OS X is the better trash for neckbeards that live in terminals and only need to use MS word and a dumbphone.
>>
>have they given up on non-mobile shit entirely?
Almost. They still have to care about the Mac as long as you still need one to program an iPhone, but they just barely care about it.

>https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-20/how-apple-alienated-mac-loyalists
>In another sign that the company has prioritized the iPhone, Apple re-organized its software engineering department so there's no longer a dedicated Mac operating system team. There is now just one team, and most of the engineers are iOS first, giving the people working on the iPhone and iPad more power.

It's a shame because macOS would actually be an interesting operating system if they cared about it. It's Unix based, it runs professional software, it has a novel document-based user interface, it's built entirely on Cocoa/AppKit, which is a high-level GUI toolkit (as opposed to Win32 and X11, which are very low-level) and it's built on Obj-C and Swift, which are nice languages with built-in reference counting and interface-based OO. Only, if you use macOS, it's pretty much guaranteed that Apple won't give a shit about you, shit will randomly be broken, features will be removed and bugs and security flaws will go unpatched for several major releases.
>>
>>59265630
Pretty much, at least that's what I'm afraid of. Every time Timmy says iPad Pro can replace your laptop part of me dies.
>>
>>59265744
Do you think normal people develop GUIs directly on X11? You've heard of GTK and QT correct?
>>
>>59266733
The problem with X11 is that there's Qt _and_ GTK, and a smattering of autist programmers who use Xlib/XCB, which means the lowest common denominator is still raw X11. On macOS, Carbon is dead, which means Cocoa is used almost universally, which makes things like the transition to high-dpi displays is easy, since the framework can just transform coordinates.

I'm not saying this one thing makes macOS better than Linux, or that macOS is better than Linux at all (I prefer Linux,) but it's interesting that an operating system exists where most applications use the same high-level GUI toolkit and it's a shame that Apple don't care about maintaining it.
>>
>>59265630
>have they given up on non-mobile shit entirely?
it's almost like the majority of their business is mobile OP
>they must be trying to run a business or something
>>
>>59267990
>We're losing marketshare in a sector
>Abandon it entirely
I dunno what shitty business school you graduated from
>>
>>59269098
Apple makes the majority of their profit from Iphones, Ipad, and Itunes/appstore. Mac is only like 10% of their profits and declining in growth.

So Apple will put less effort because the return will be the same thing.
>>
>>59265650
This is why half the tray disappeared of my screen. Even ghanooslahloonix or homosex don't do this shit.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.