[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will tablets eventually replace laptops? At least for the mainstream

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: android-tablet-reviews.png (149KB, 1084x500px) Image search: [Google]
android-tablet-reviews.png
149KB, 1084x500px
Will tablets eventually replace laptops?
At least for the mainstream segment, if not power users?
>>
tablets and laptops are slowly becoming the same thing, it's just a low-profile system with a keyboard attached
>>
>>59252428
>Will tablets eventually replace laptops?
No. Tablets and laptops will merge into one clusterfuck of a machine. That's already happening. We just have to figure out (1) how to design an OS that functions well as both a tablet and a laptop, and (2) how to physically design a machine that isn't irredeemably awkward to use in tablet or laptop mode.

So far, the only company to get it even partially right has been Lenovo, with the Yoga Book. It's super thin and doesn't have keys, which means it actually feels like a tablet when using it as a tablet, and feels somewhat laptop-ish when using it as a laptop. The only problem is that the Yoga Book is comically under-powered to the point where it's so laggy it's not worth buying, and so far, neither Windows or Android are capable of working very well as both a laptop and tablet OS. And the Yoga Book is only available in Android and Windows variants.
If only they fixed those view things, they might actually have a hit on their hands.
>>
>>59252494
For you, maybe. Power users need ports. Not dongles
>>
>>59252428
Is this a legit question or just bait?
Because i'm fucking hooked already.

Here's your answer. NO, NEVER, WTF
>>
>>59252630
>At least for the mainstream segment, if not power users?

why do you do this to me
>>
What tablet can compete with the ipad pro?
>>
>>59252512
This.
I see so many okayish computers who are just gimped by their tactile screen.
Who the fuck cares about touchscreens in a laptop or a desktop? I understand the point for phones but damn.
>>
>>59252630
>power users are on laptops
ok
>>
>>59252952
Surface Pro
>>
>>59252428
This is the ONLY way I see tablet's ever taking over laptop market. A detachable tablet with keyboard addon .

That's what the surface book is and why there is Asus Lenovo and others trying to replicate it now.

It has no compromise with all of the benifits of a tablet and a laptop into one. [spoiler]please MS make a surface book with usb C [/spoiler]
>>
File: 1480972847974.jpg (33KB, 778x438px) Image search: [Google]
1480972847974.jpg
33KB, 778x438px
>>59253532
Forgot image, fug
>>
>>59252428
https://smallbiztrends.com/2017/02/ipad-sales-decline.html
Tablet sales are declining, so no
>>
>>59252670
Well Laptops won over desktops
>>
>>59252428
Don't think so, they are still too different. Once they find an optimized way of handling the input for tablet that might happen, but otherwise it's too tedious to do just about any even light work on a tablet
>>
>>59252512
convertible with stylus would be great imo.
>>
>>59252428
>no keys

probably never

Only things like the surface pro might have a chance actually
>>
>>59252428
Nope, we're about one decade away from screen glasses and about two from screen lenses that will make both of these obsolete.
>>
>>59255053
Nah, we have shitty screen lenses now (since the 1980s) and even potentially high enough pixel density to make good ones. What you need is a power supply and onboard system for your lenses, then you need a decent means to transmit actual video signals.

I'd say its more battery and bluetooth that are holding them back from being more than a novelty.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.