[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apple is no longer run by people like Jobs who only cared about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

File: macbook_white.jpg (31KB, 573x282px) Image search: [Google]
macbook_white.jpg
31KB, 573x282px
Apple is no longer run by people like Jobs who only cared about a specific subset of the market with a lot of money. They already sell a $270 iPad and the iPhone SE targeted at the budget market. How long until they release a $500 or less Macbook to compete with mid range Windows PCs? They just need to make a plastic laptop with a 900p or better screen with off the shelf parts and an AMD APU.

>inb4 fuck off iToddler
I don't own any Apple products, I just wish there was more competition in the computer market, because competition is always a good thing. Apple is realistically the only company capable of challenging Windows' dominance.
>>
>>59250515

they have to get away from hardware revenue i guess.

then they could simply open up macOS too more hardware and challenge microsoft that way. Hackintosh systems already work on many many windows machines but it can become tricky. Any somewhat tech savvy person can figure it out though.
>>
>>59250547
>then they could simply open up macOS too more hardware and challenge microsoft that way.
Apple would never open up their walled garden that much, they don't want their brand image being soiled by putting MacOS on Chromebook tier hardware.

If MacOS ever came to non-Macs legitimately, I think Apple would only do it in the desktop market and they would just make motherboards that are Apple approved. They don't update the Mac Pro that often, so letting people who need something like a Mac Pro build their own computers with an Apple motherboard would be a decent compromise.
>>
>>59250515

the SE is not their budget model. that continues to be the 5S, the SE still have a hefty price tag on Europe and most parts of the world.
>>
>>59250621
I was lazy and assumed it was their budget phone. Guess I was wrong, but the fact that they still sell the 5s for the budget market proves my point just as well.
>>
>>59250604

> They don't update the Mac Pro that often, so letting people who need something like a Mac Pro build their own computers with an Apple motherboard would be a decent compromise.

well the THING is they already used so much hardware a lot of hardware is basically 'apple approved' .. the macpro from 2013 used an AMD Gpu which meant basically all AMD GPUs work just fine in hackintosh systems nowadays lol. Thats why they can't prevent this from happening - so why not open it up?! Whats the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDmOHU6lmRw
>>
>>59250665

wrong video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNd5_kxpPc4

he upgrade it by himself with an external gpu lol
>>
>>59250665
>Thats why they can't prevent this from happening - so why not open it up?! Whats the point.
A lot of people still prefer to go through legitimate channels whenever possible. It's been a long time since I looked into the hackintosh scene, but don't you have to worry about updates breaking your system and stuff?

Providing people with an official way to build MacOS computers would ensure people that their hardware is 100% compatible and stuff.
>>
>>59250604

See this

>>59250665

The only reason macOS doesnt run as well on a shitty chromebook as it does on a Thinkpad downs to this.

Apple cannot prevent people to install OSX on non-apple hardware. their approach is using a hardware chip on the apple computers called the SMC, but that was easily bypassed by making the OS believe the actual chip is there.

the only thing that prevents macOS installation on shitty computers like those ultrabooks is the lack of device drivers, because theres simply no macbooks with that hardware.
>>
>>59250515
wishful thinking, poorjeet. if anything, apple is going in the opposite direction, hiking up their prices and placing themselves as a luxury brand.

under jobs apple was more affordable.
>>
If I could find one in good shape for a reasonable price, if love one of the old Macbooks to complete my 2006 mac desk
Its one of the prettier systems in my collection and the 2006 macbook would be the icing on the cake
>>
>>59250736

>but don't you have to worry about updates breaking your system and stuff?

yeah i guess that can happen but it all depends on your hardware. Few years ago it was much much harder and more of a mess. Nowadays you have all these tools that make it fairly simply (depending on your hardware).

Intel CPUs + Gigaybte Mainboards for example for great for example and its basically a no brainer.

>>59250744

>like those ultrabooks is the lack of device drivers, because theres simply no macbooks with that hardware.

yeah im aware of that but like i said. Apple uses different hardware all the time - they can't just stick with 1 supplier for a lifetime and use 1 driver thats why there are so many 'compatible' systems out there.

So over time it might be possible that you can run it on a chromebook tier device.
>>
>>59250779
I have a lot of spare parts laying around (case, PSU, 1tb hard drive, 256gb ssd, evo 212). I'd basically just need a motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Can I use like a $50 H110N and a Pentium processor? I would consider building a hacktinosh for shits and giggles if I could do it for less than $200.
>>
>>59250893

check tonymacs forum. Its the go to resource for everything hackintosh related.
>>
>>59250922
Looks like the only recommend h170 and above and a core i3 or above. I don't want to spend more than $200 on this, so I guess I'll just try to get MacOS working in a VM on my main computer for now.
>>
>>59251132

it sucks in a VM though
>>
>>59251143
I won't be doing anything important in it, just fucking around to see if it's worth it to build a full blown hackintosh in the future.
>>
I have one last question to the hackintosh guy ITT.

I already have a gigabyte motherboard (it's actually the one they recommend for their mac mini deluxe buyers guide) and an Intel CPU (i5 6500). If I just installed my spare SSD into my system, could I follow this guide ( https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/unibeast-install-macos-sierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/ ), and selected that SSD to install it on to, would I need to do any extra steps to dual boot? Or would I just be able to hold f12 on boot up, select the drive with MacOS installed, and boot from it?
>>
>>59250515
>muh status symbol fashion accessory
>>
>>59251514

depends on what bootloader you use ... you can use grub, clover, reFIND .. it'll give you a screen and oyu can select your OS. Its simple.

The issue isnt installing hte OS thats usually fairly straight forward and simple for you.

The fun starts right after cause you may have to fuck around with your ethernet driver or audio driver. Check all of that before hand - it can be a challenge or it will simply just work.

If oyu have a spare SSD anyway you can just try and see how it goes. Follow the guides and use the software that comes with it. If anything you learn something about the OS, the kexts and what not.
>>
>>59251733
And? Once you get into the ~$1,000 Windows laptop range, 90% of become fashion accessories as well. Apple making MacOS more accessible is only a good thing because it puts pressure on Microsoft to improve Windows.
>>
>>59250515
>iPhone SE targeted at the budget market
It's a god-tier phone, though, and the f&f/build haven't suffered. I'd honestly pay more for the smaller version but I'm happy to pay less.
>>
>>59250665
>basically all AMD GPUs work just fine in hackintosh systems nowadays lol
>can't resume from suspend without using the integrated graphics hack
yeah ok
>>
>>59251143
what about with GPU psasthrough?
>>
>>59252121

there are more factors involved not just the GPU

>>59252147

just try it .. takes a few mins to set it up in a VM ... you need one specific package to run it in full screen though .. some russian made a nice tutorial for it on YT
>>
>>59252170
>there are more factors involved not just the GPU

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/
>>
>MacBook Pro powered by an energy efficient AMD APU with at least a 1440p screen.
Oh god yes. Please Ape. It will be my first Apple product.
>>
>>59252220
They wouldn't sell anything with a 1440p screen for under $1000 for a while. An energy efficient Ryzen APU with a 900p or 1080p screen would get god tier battery life though, especially if they didn't try to make it as thin as possible.
>>
>>59252196

AMD DID IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

i'd just use Yosemite than with AMD GPU .. not much difference to El Capitan -> Sierra anyway aside from minor functionality memes
>>
>>59252076
>improve Windows
haha good one. Normals (aka most of the industry) uses Windows because of market compatibility. They don't give a shit about performance or muh UNIX because they can just throw more money at higher specs and more codemonkeys to layer more abstractions

Windows doesn't care about optimizing its OS or making it better from the perspective of some pseudo intellectual CS shitlord that will spout theory on IRC all day while making 40K a year
>>
fuck off iToddler
>>
>>59252289
>i'd just use Yosemite
Hackintoshfags, everybody.
>>
>>59252316

you mean .. AMD everybody

works fine with NVIDIA and Intel ;)
>>
>>59252298
You are still essentially arguing that competition for Microsoft is bad... Why? How much are they paying you? Apple has like 7% market share. If they managed to grow that in the consumer market, Microsoft might address people's chief complaints with Windows 10 (bugginess, inconsistent UI, inability to turn off automatic updates, ads baked into the OS, etc etc).
>>
>>59250515
>How long until they release a $500 or less Macbook
That's the iPad for them. They're actually moving towards higher prices for the Macs, targeting a "Pro" market and forgetting about consumer Macs like the Air.

Jobs was the one that wanted cheaper Macs, like the Mac mini and the frequently updated $999 MacBook. The current Apple want to push the iPad as a laptop replacement for consumers.
>>
>>59250515
>I don't own any Apple products, I just wish there was more competition in the computer market, because competition is always a good thing
not if PC developers will have to spend resources on porting software to another OS (than Windows)
>>
>>59252339
there is no competition based on Winshit's level of market embedding

I'm stating simple facts
Apple, in reality is a niche product

Sorry you see the industry from the window of a Starbucks cafe but I can't help your delusion
>>
>>59252398
How many times do I have to say "consumer market" before you realize I'm not talking about enterprise?

But please, keep choking on Microsoft's cock.
>>
>>59252426
their market compatibility dominates both consumer and enterprise

nice argument about me being a shill when I raise points about a company you don't like
iusers are true cancer
>>
File: Screenshot_20170305-110401.png (255KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170305-110401.png
255KB, 1440x2560px
>>59252550
I don't own a single Apple product. My phone is a Nexus 6p. I built my desktop, and my laptop is Samsung.

I just thing competition is good for the market.
>hurrrr Windows should have 100% of the market because I'm an autist who hates it when people are allowed to make different decisions than me!

The majority of normies just use their computers for YouTube/Netflix/Facebook/Tumblr or reddit/syncing their iPhones. If Apple could increase to 15% of even 20% market share, that would cut into Microsoft's profits, which is all I care about.
>>
>>59250647
>but the fact that they still sell the 5s for the budget market proves my point just as well

They've always kept an older version around as the cheap model. The plastic 5c was the exception and they were derided by almost everyone for making it. And unless I'm mistaken, that happened under Jobs.

So, no. They're probably not going to make a plastic MacBook like they were ten or fifteen years ago.
>>
>>59252991
The iPhone SE is $399 in the US, and Apple is moving some of their iPhone production to India so they they can sell even cheaper iPhones in developing markets.

By no means is Apple abandoning the "premium" market, but they are trying to make in roads into the lower end market.
>>
>>59250515
If you like in murica then this is true. In europe it's much more expensive, plus a lot of countries there are poor like eastern europe
>>
>>59253102
live*
>>
P A J E E T

M Y

S O N
>>
>>59250515
>and an AMD APU.

A fair argument until you made this point.
>>
>>59253188
Ryzen is competitive and power efficient in everything besides gaming. Macs aren't used for gaming anyways so what's the problem?
>>
>>59252631
>Windows should have 100%
I never said should. I'm sorry you're incapable of reading.

You're creating this irrelevant detached from reality argument when in reality Apple is a niche and Mircoshaft is a monopoly in the global market. You're talking about promoting competition in a monopoly dominated market that has lasted decades now. What are you spouting on about? Did you finally read your ECON101 textbook about free market theory and decide to parrot your pseudo intellectual viewpoint about competition when it doesn't apply to reality?
>>
>>59252631
Thing is, apple made so much money just in the upper middle class SWPL market that they don't know how to do anything else. So now that the middle class is dying due to the bifurcation of society into elite and pleb, they won't be able to continue much longer.

Legions of apple users are going into lower class socioeconomic positions where they can't afford mac products. Credit purchases keep it from falling off too quickly but interest and credit bubbles are ripe for disruption again. Soon we will have another big recession and Apple will stop making laptops, desktops and tablets. Within the next decade I predict they'll be bought out by another phone giant.
>>
File: 1458478085252.png (85KB, 514x697px) Image search: [Google]
1458478085252.png
85KB, 514x697px
>>59250515
I'd rather MS have a monopoly than a shitstain pure evil megacorp like Applel get major marketshare.
>>
>>59253303
>even if Apple gets 15% market share, Microsoft will still have a monopoly and nobody should even try to dethrone Microsoft!

What the fuck do you lose if Apple made up one 15% of the consumer computer market? How does it hurt you when Microsoft loses a little bit of money?
>>
>>59250515
Apple never used AMD for CPU. They'd have to put actual work into making macOS compatible, making it blow out the price. They are currently working on their own laptop CPU architecture.
>>
>>59253292
The laptop APUs are truly awful in comparison to just budget intel CPUs. Hence while they are almost non existent in stores currently.
>>
>>59250621
>5s
and the 5c then?
>>
>>59253515
But Ryzen APUs aren't out yet retard.
>>
>>59253512
No, they're working on making their laptops into arm tablets that have an additional intel CPU to run "legacy" software.
>>
>>59253531
Laptop APU's reputation as garbage is already out. They won't overcome that anytime soon.
>>
>>59250515
They seem to be going in the opposite direction with their laptops. The new Pro models are a lot more expensive than the old ones.
>>
>>59253464
all I'm saying is things are not going to change anytime soon in the consumer market because microshit has been allowed unrestricted reign over it for too long

We can talk about what "should be" for a decade but it's a waste of time. Apple will never gain 15% in global consumer because its whole business model is to produce expensive overmarketed fashion accessories that conform to their strict standards

Even if they gained this mythical 15% what difference would it make to the normals or to you? It's one locked down proprietary shit solution over the other.
Maybe from the technical perspective OSX and iOS is MORE properly written and secure compared to Winshit but what is the core advantage of having this spread over a market? Windows is not automatically going to unfuck itself after decades of poor legacy idealized engineering standards

OSX and iOS is made to run on a few gens of hardware. It can not scale to meet the needs of 15% of any relevant consumer market based on the very nature of its core business model.
>>
>>59253570
Apple consumers eat up whatever Apple tells them. If Apple tells them they switched to AMD because AMD stands for Apple's Magic Device supplier, they'd eat that shit up.

>>59253576
They still sell the MacBook Air starting at $1,000. They can Jew their long time fanboys and make cheap products to expand their market share at the same time.
>>
>>59253664
You honestly believe that there isn't 15% of the market that only uses their laptop for social media, media consumption, and light productivity?

Microsoft is rumored to push windows 10 cloud for the consumer market, which cuts compatibility with win32 applications and forces everybody to use the Windows store. Apple is the only viable alternative to that, FOSS doesn't have the corporate backing in the consumer market it would need to gain market share among normies. Legacy software just isn't the main reason normies use Windows anymore, and it certainly won't be in the future once Microsoft forces UWP down our throats even harder.
>>
File: Selection_20170305_20:32:54.png (10KB, 428x90px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_20170305_20:32:54.png
10KB, 428x90px
>>59253531
http://comma.guide/vocative-comma/
>>
>>59253792
>Apple is the only viable alternative to that
Apple is way more restrictive in terms of side loading and will only continue to go further down that path. It's the prototype of that.
Their model has always been to dump everyone under their standard and have complete conformance in terms of software and hardware. Microsoft is the lesser evil for sure in that respect even if it's now trying to copy Apple in the aspects you mentioned. Microshit can not afford to be Apple in respect to restrictions because the market share it controls would not put up with that level of control. Ofcourse FOSS in not a consumer ready alternative
>>
>>59254033
My parents installed apps from outside the Mac app store on their iMac, if they can do it, Apple isn't trying very hard to lock down MacOS.

If the shit about Windows 10 cloud ends up being true, MacOS will definitely be less restrictive.

Macs can do everything normies who buy cheap windows computers want to do. Apple simply giving consumers more choice by offering a cheaper MacBook can't be a bad thing.

But this is /g/, Apple could open source MacOS, cut Macbook prices in half, design them to be as durable and repairable as ThinkPads, and you guys would still hate them because Macs don't have as many games as Windows.
>>
>>59253049
>Apple is moving some of their iPhone production to India so they they can sell even cheaper iPhones in developing markets

Apple is moving some production to India because the Indian government wouldn't let them open retail stores unless Apple promised to throw them some jobs.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/01/09/apple-executives-india-officials-to-talk-local-manufacturing-retail-store-this-month
>>
>>59254455
And if Apple didn't care about the low end market, they wouldn't have caved.
>>
File: 18kzmia28t4asjpg.jpg (31KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
18kzmia28t4asjpg.jpg
31KB, 800x450px
>>59254543
>And if Apple didn't care about the low end market, they wouldn't have caved.

The only phone Apple is currently officially offering in India, through a deal with Flipcart, are the 7 and 7 Plus. They might also be selling that 32GB 6S which has been on sale in China for a little while. But that's as "low end" as they're going over there currently.

And it follows that there are plenty of people in India that can afford a flagship phone. But back to OP's point, this is the smartphone market. It doesn't portend some immediate shift in their laptops toward the lower end of the spectrum. We aren't going to see another plastic macbook.
>>
>>59250604
>Apple would never open up their walled garden that much
Why is /g/ so retarded? Macs are not walled gardens, you can install or develop whatever the fuck you want on them and use them for whatever the fuck you want. You could definitely describe them as closed, but as far as what you can do with them, no, they're not iPhones.
>>
>>59254712
So Apple lied for no apparent reason when they said they were opening a factory in India to offer lower cost smartphones to the Indian market? I'm pretty sure the factory isn't even finished being constructed yet, so your point is moot.
>>
>>59254756
I meant walled garden more in terms of hardware. Apple tries to control their third party ecosystem much more closely than Microsoft and their hardware partners do with PCs.
>>
>>59250515
A lot of Apple's MacBook customers are developers that need the long battery life and crisp displays to do programming on the go. I'm one of those people. I'm pretty pissed that they've removed the ports and made the battery life dogshit with the thin meme. After my 2011 MBP wears out, I'll be going with a Thinkpad of some sort because I can upgrade RAM, hard drives, and strip the whole thing to the main board in under 30 minutes without breaking it. Macs were good when you could actually upgrade them yourself. I want Apple to release the MacBook dev for $600-800 that features upgradeable storage, RAM, and batteries and that has at least one USB A port, 2 USB C ports, a headphone jack, and a backlit keyboard. That's what I really want. A socketed CPU would be a bonus as well.
>>
File: 1457738515062.gif (212KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
1457738515062.gif
212KB, 501x585px
>>59254756
Good goy
>>
>>59252341
I think the Mac was Apple's effort to "convert" PC users, and the Mac mini was at the forefront of that effort. Now the iPad Pro has taken that position, and tying into your point, low cost Macs like the Mac mini and Air aren't being updated now thanks to that
>>
>>59255242
Microsoft is in the business of selling software. Apple is in the business of selling hardware. Two entirely different business models.
If Apple would sell OS X separately they would not actually sell that many copies of OS X, but significantly reduce their hardware sales. They would not make money that way.
>>
>>59257801
Actually Apple sells both software and hardware. If they only sold hardware, they would likely open source their software, or at least most of it, because software that isn't locked down would make their hardware more attractive. They want people to buy their hardware because it's the only hardware that can run Apple's software. They want people to buy their software because it works well on Apple hardware.
>>
>>59250679
I have no idea why Apple and laptop manufacturers aren't scrambling to make this more of a thing. Most people's PC "customization" is just switching GPUs, anyway.
>>
All cuckbooks are mid-range windows laptops with some retarded additions for which some tards end up paying a grand.
>>
>>59250515
Hopefully soon, I wouldn't even mind a $500 Macbook if it run Mac OS X.

Apple hasn't been about build quality or common sense for a long time now anyway. They're never going to crash and burn so they may as well tighten their stranglehold.
>>
>>59253520
>>5s
>and the 5c then?

5C is kill, last I heard.
>>
File: infiniteloop.jpg (26KB, 325x500px) Image search: [Google]
infiniteloop.jpg
26KB, 325x500px
>>59250665
Because last time it nearly killed them. The Bandai Apple Pippin was probably the nadir.

Pic related is a book published in that period and sums it up really.

The return of Jobs was 100% about locking everything down again, that was the main decision he took to save the company.

I think given that near-death experience is still within institutional memory, Apple are pretty religious on the issue at this point.
>>
They won't.

It appears to me that Apple aren't interested in their traditional computing lines.

iPad Pro would replace the laptops in a heartbeat if Apple thought the market would bear it.
>>
Why sell a product for $500 when people are willing to pay $1000
>>
Well, their products are already perfect... Wait... Calm your autism... They're prefect in respect to Apple's vision. Not much you can do to the iPhone without messing up the iconic branding. There's just nowhere to go from here.

Now they can focus on a lower tier market and then sell applications to them or whatever else which will keep them afloat in the future. They sell services now.

Apple Music for example.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.