[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any manufacturers that actually design their laptops

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: laptop.jpg (19KB, 500x437px) Image search: [Google]
laptop.jpg
19KB, 500x437px
Are there any manufacturers that actually design their laptops to last and run well long term?

My last two laptops have been ASUS, but both have had major HDD or MB within two years... Is that just really bad luck, or are they actually fitting inferior parts?

What brands can I expect to run well for a minimum of 4 years?
>>
>>59246552
dell precisions
thinkpads
>>
>>59246552
Believe it or not HP!!! Or at least my model, it's now 6 years old, still running strong.
>>
My 2011 Macbook is still a beast
>>
>>59246559
>>59246663
So whats the difference?
Is it literally a case of some brands fitting bad parts, or are they good parts that are put together poorly, or both?
>>
>>59246552

>What brands can I expect to run well for a minimum of 4 years?

most of them .. seriously. All depends on who the user is.

You can rape every laptop within a year or two or just take good care of them like a good goy and use them for 4,5 or 6 years.

There is no guarantee that X module of Y company won't break randomly. As long as its not no name weirdo chink shit but one of the top companies its a matter of preferences, spec sheet autism and design but durability and all these memes are pretty much the same cause most of it is made from the same materials, manufactures anyway.

>>59246677

post geekbench scores
>>
File: 1416022063162.jpg (699KB, 2664x3528px) Image search: [Google]
1416022063162.jpg
699KB, 2664x3528px
>>59246552
>What brands can I expect to run well for a minimum of 4 years?

anything apple
>>
File: 1414350683404.jpg (39KB, 500x484px) Image search: [Google]
1414350683404.jpg
39KB, 500x484px
>>59246681
>Is it literally a case of some brands fitting bad parts, or are they good parts that are put together poorly, or both?

HDDs failing in 2 years is very unusual, the MB flat out shitting itself in that timeframe is almost unheard of.

Maybe you got liquid on it or something ASUS is an ok company whose laptops don't shit the bed after a year on the reg
>>
>>59246682
>You can rape every laptop within a year or two or just take good care of them like a good goy and use them for 4,5 or 6 years.
I've considered this, but can't think of any real reason why my usage would have resulted in my previous laptops fucking up so hard.

I don't play games any more. The most intensive thing I do is use firefox with like 10 tabs open and maybe microsoft office or something open at the same time.

I do use my laptop a min. of 5 hours per day most days and then turn it off at night. But surely thats not enough to do damage.
>>
>>59246682
>post geekbench scores

don't have them handy but I upgraded to max RAM and put in an SSD and it's plenty snappy
>>
>>59246711
I think the model I had (F555D) might have some issues as people have left reviews stating similar issues. But then, most people only leave reviews if something bad happens.
>>
>>59246716

you just were unlucky or you mistreated the machine in some way you are unaware of

plenty of 4yo ASUS machines going strong out there
>>
Unironically Apple.
>>
>>59246735
>mistreated the machine in some way you are unaware of
Is there some babys first guide to owning a laptop I can consult?
>>
>>59246766
>Is there some babys first guide to owning a laptop I can consult?

https://library.nau.edu/images/manual/macbook13_manual.pdf
>>
>>59246788
Are you insulting me, Apple or both?
>>
>>59246730
My F555 has always been a piece of shit,so you're not the only one. The build quality is pretty subpar.
>>
>>59246552
Dell Precision
Thinkpad P series
HP Zbook series
>>
Not really, all depends on you. Over the years I've had all sorts of cheap and expensive laptops. None have failed. Even slightly. All are still structurally and technically pristine.

Some people will just magically break shit, I have no idea how, but they do. I could use a netbook for 10 years and have no issues with it. Motherboards don't just 'go bad'.
>>
File: file.png (82KB, 775x532px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
82KB, 775x532px
>10 year old thinkpad
>still just werks

DO NOT fall for the apple=reliable meme. Watch Rossman's videos on youtube and realize that apple deliberately uses low-quality components with a short lifetime
>>
>>59248559
Steer the fuck away from HP Zbook g3s, absolute shit reliability, fucked hardware, alpha-stage thunderbolt firmwares, docking stations are shit
>>
My Toshiba laptop from 2007 is still kicking. Girlfriends Acer netbook from 2010 is still alive. No problems with both.
>>
Ironically sometimes the ultra budget laptops which are mostly empty plastic are more reliable than the over-engineered "multimedia" ones
Business laptops are the best though
>>
>>59246552
asus used to make quite good laptops back in the days, so sad they've gone to shit.

Thinkpads will last long(except the Edgy ones)
Some macs might work that long if you're extra careful with them.
Some Toshiba's should also last.
>>
>>59246552
I've had 2 asus laptops and both broke within 3 years. I won't buy asus ever again.
>>
>>59246552
HP and Dell business machines. My 2740 and 8460 still run faultlessly, and I got a Latitude e7440 from a previous employer that is still holding it's shit together despite a very rough life on the road as a power grid field tech. I am now sitting in front of an i7 9470 I picked up last year. I will never go consumershit again.

>>59246681
They are expected to run well for the life of the lease they are often on, which is generally 2 to 3 years. People will not lease machines that fail, and if manufacturers want to get dat sweet corporate money, they need to make machines that not only last, but have a reputation for lasting.

Build quality is prolly a factor as well, the Elitebook series are tanks, and the Latitude seems to be up there in terms of robustness as well. I once drove off a site with the Latitude on the roof of my van, only damage was a dent to the bottom corner of the bezel. No features or cracks, just a dent in the alloy. Pretty decent IMO.
>>
>>59246663
hp elitebook 8540w here, 6.5 years. Looking to replace it with a thinkpad though, this thing is on its last legs.
>>
>>59246559
This
Not every thinkpad though, only thinkpad T, X and W
>>
Apple.

Main computer: 13" 2013 MBP
Servers: All broken thinkpads that went through shit that would be considered a good day for the macbook

Durable ABS plastic construction! It's ABS so it's not water bottle plastic, it's PREMIUM water bottle plastic!
>>
Get a business laptop. Doesn't matter if it's from Dell, HP, or Lenovo. They all have their little quirks, so you'll have to make some sort of compromise. Most of them have excellent durability and will last for several years, though. Especially if you take care of them. Most of them are Intel graphics so don't plan to play any games on them unless you like to play old classic games on emulators.

Compromises are things like
>HP Elitebooks: the screens are shit. The panel tech lags behind everyone else by several years. A brand new Elitebook will have a shit tier TN panel unless you pay hundreds of dollars more for the high end IPS panel, if it's even offered.
>Lenovo Thinkpads: shitty plastics. Having a 6 month old laptop looking like a 3 year old laptop because of low quality plastic is bullshit. They should all be using high grade magnesium bodies like everyone else. HP coats their keys so they don't get worn down. Lenovo should have been doing this years ago.
>Dell Latitudes: screens aren't much better than Elitebooks. Depends on the model and features, though. Tend to be thicker than Thinkpads and Elitebooks. I've used Latitudes but I admit I've never owned one. Maybe someone else can weigh in without being a fanboy.

Either way if you look around, you can find a good business laptop for $300-500. At the upper end you're looking at models that are new in opened boxes. Basically brand new shit that's only been touched once. And since CPUs have stagnated in the past few years, you can buy something that's like 3 years old and it will be just as good if not better than a high end "consumer" laptop.
>>
>>59248621

>Watch Rossman's videos on youtube and realize that apple deliberately uses low-quality components with a short lifetime

Tell that to my 2006 MacBook being used as a server.

>someone who repairs broken shit (98% because of the user) for a living talking about how things always break in his opinion

You don't say.
>>
>>59246761
>2011 models video issues worldwide with class action courts and eventual motherboard replacement program across the globe
>>
Panasonic
Getac
>>
>>59246663
HP build quality + bloat makes wanna drink bleach on the spot
>>
>>59246552
I bought a $600 gateway 6 or 7 years ago, still going strong.
>>
I had an Acer that lasted like 6 years despite me punching it now and again due to being an angry LoL babby.

I bought it at Costco for like $500 and it was surprisingly powerful
>>
>>59246552
Been wondering this myself as I have helped some others buy laptops recently.

Any name brand that is mid to upper level seems to be fine for most. Always backup anyway.

Some name brands have some very low entry products, but those are easy to spot as they are spec like tablets and cost very little.

Most of the durable things are marketed to businesses. In fact I found several companies have business/enterprise sites that sell versions and products not listed normally, cost more but I assume the build is a little tougher given some of the descriptions. I really liked Dell's upper business ones like the Insperion and XPS as they can be over kill for so many things. Some of the Thinkpads are really good as well, the X series comes to mind, but read the differences between those little letter designations there are some less durable ones under that larger tag. As is the case with many.

Another thing to think about is if you want to buy later in the cycle. Buying later in the cycle means lower prices and better build quality as manufactures tune out problems. However it also means the specs can be about a year old, and given the disturbing trend with software hardware requirements that could work against you in some cases.

I am half tempted to just get an older mid level laptop every 3 years to keep thing current enough, without betting on something long term as thing constantly keep changing.

That said I am still using 2010 Macbook Pro, although I have had to make significant compromises and adjustments to the software to keep to running. Althought I wouldn't recommend Apple, build quality is great but the markup and limited software life cycle support are a deal breaker for me, as I am actually running Debian on it as it is offically "Obsolete". And would need to get a new one if I had to use more common software many people require.
>>
>>59246559
you forgot:
-HP Elitebooks
-Dell Latitudes (6000-7000 series only)
>>
>>59246552
Do not listen to these retards. Anything that is not a rugged laptop or made outside of Japan is utter garbage for gay hipsters, autistic fedoras and normalfags.
The proper laptops are: rugged Dell, Panasonic Toughbook, Getac, Elbrus and Mouse Computer.
>>
>>59246552
I'm still using a 2009 sony laptop that over the years of intensive using it, it only had an HDD failure around 2015, its the shit desu i dont see buying one until windows 7 passes out like windows XP
>>
>>59246693
Sauce
>>
>>59248621

Rubbish. my MBP is 5 years old and runs like new. My entire team uses then (52 people) and we have have no replacements in all that time.
>>
>>59248698
Toshiba Satellite U305-7449 reporting in (Windows XP video driver crashes randomly nowadays, can run Win10 but fuck that). Got this thing used already so my estimate is that it is 8 years old.

>>59246552
If the hard drive crashed, make sure to store your device properly during transportation, avoid any kind of shaking and don't hit/shake the table it is sitting on.
>>
>>59246552
Zbook
>>
x62
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.