[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking to get into video editing as an extension of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: socktech.jpg (209KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
socktech.jpg
209KB, 1920x1080px
I'm looking to get into video editing as an extension of my photography.

I know of Vegas and Premiere, I had used Vegas and Acid many, many moons ago before Sony ownership. I'm also well entrenched in the Adobe CC environment however...

1.) What options are currently out there?

Preferably open source. I like open source in general and until I am competent I don't really want to pay money for a program I can't fully utilize but the best tool for the job is the best tool for the job.

2.) Can any of the programs you might recommend be accelerated with a GPU?

I see that Nvidia can be utilized in Premier but does anyone support something like the RX480?
>>
Check out davinci resolve, it's free and very powerful, plus it connects to fusion like premiere and after effects do.
>>
File: 1412991344777.jpg (671KB, 1500x938px) Image search: [Google]
1412991344777.jpg
671KB, 1500x938px
>>59246016
>I'm looking to get into video editing
You'll be wanting to get a Ryzen CPU then
>>
>>59246248
Thanks pajeet
>>
File: CnfVmPNXYAExkFB.jpg (95KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
CnfVmPNXYAExkFB.jpg
95KB, 1280x720px
>>59246270
You're very welcome
>>
>>59246224
Very cool. From what I can gather online this is great for my hardware and a pretty good program to learn on to boot.

thanks based anon

im downloading now
>>
>>59246016
there is litterally nothing that is open source that is worth a damn, but I hear good things about blender.

your options are adobe
vegas
pinical
Avid
DaVinci Resolve

As far as I know these are the only ones wroth a damn.

Vegas is the easiest,
adobe if you get good could get you an actual job
avid will make you want to suicide
davinci is literally the best one on this list and is free for damn near every use you could want, it is probably the most versatile in terms of video but to be honest I have no experiance with it.

nothing fucking uses an amd gpu sense the 6000 series, fucking amd broke opencl / no one who makes codecs has fixed their shit. This may not be true in more recent builds of programs, but it sure as fuck was the case with nearly every video editor for a while.

Everyone can point and say 'but it works here' well ok, now pay the several hundred to thousand dollars if it doesn't to get help, because the pirates ain't fuckin helping you.

It appears adobe may be the most compatible with rendering video on the gpu but I can't say for certain.
>>
>>59246248
>>59246270
Not op but a friend is computer retarded and runs some sort of vlog channel. Hes been saying he wants to buy a new computer and I just said anything new will be an upgrade to his 2500k. Should I advise ryzen? I know he uses premiere/after effects. Or should he just jump on a 7700k?
>>
>>59246475
If he does lots of video editing /rendering kind of work then Ryzen is a better idea.

However, the 2500k is still a good processor, he doesn't really need an upgrade.

Advise an SSD instead
>>
>>59246469
So Pinical and Avid I wasn't aware of but yeah. My primary focus for learning this skill is low cost and making use of my existing hardware. From what I can gather NVidia seems to be preferred but I have an rx480 and was hoping to leverage that if possible.

I can find benches for DaVinci and it shows the RX480 not far behind a 1070. Sounds promising.

I'd prefer to stick with Premiere since i have used it a bit in the past and the monthly license is fairly cheap, up front at least.

I really liked Vegas backin the day tho.

I guess I just want something good that can use my 480 and doesn't cost much for learning.

Looks like it's DaVinci in the lead so far.
>>
>>59246469
So it does look like Vegas can leverage a 480 as well if rando web forums are to be believed...

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/gpu-acceleration-for-sony-vegas-pro--104602/

But I guess I didn't realize how fucking expensive it is. 4-500 bucks out the gate? damn

Vegas Movie Studio is 80 but I'm not sure how gimped it is yet
>>
>>59246504
Hes got ssds and a 1070 just hasnt upgraded mobo and proc. Hes a long time friend and just gifted my younger bro a switch so if its worth it I might pick him up a 1700x. Just dont know much about video editing and the like so at a loss as to if itd be a good gift or one of those "I wish you had known how to spend the money better" kinda deals.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.