[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I can't notice any audible difference between MP3 V0 and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: personally.jpg (238KB, 2048x1367px) Image search: [Google]
personally.jpg
238KB, 2048x1367px
I can't notice any audible difference between MP3 V0 and FLAC. Is there something wrong with me?
>>
>>59238731
I don't really notice it with my earphones which is how I listen to music mostly these days. However when I play music on my speakers/monitors I can really tell the difference.
>>
>>59238731
no, it's just reality
>>
>>59238731
Me neither (when using laptop's in-built speakers that is).
>>
>>59238731
Yes. It may be due to low quality headphones though but i doubt it.
FLAC offers greater clarity.
It's like highs and lows dont mix together but rather sounds like two distinct sounds and very highs sound much more clear.
>>
>>59238731
Need some good headphones that are 300 range in price. Sennheiser has good ones
>>
>>59238731
You need some new high quality cables, buddy.
>>
File: e1904adb_hd668bpic1.jpg (185KB, 709x473px) Image search: [Google]
e1904adb_hd668bpic1.jpg
185KB, 709x473px
>>59238782
I rock these bitches and fuck me they are good.
Like GOOD, I almost came when first put them on.
It's chink riposs of some studio monitor sven but made cheaply and sold for 40$ (Superlux HD668b)
Xiaomi Piston Hybrid is literally a 25$ double driver earphones the sound quality is supreme.
>>
File: 1472443691329.jpg (68KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1472443691329.jpg
68KB, 600x450px
>>59238731
>he doesn't have a golden ear
>>
>>59238731
Absolutely normal if you don't have a trained ear.
>>
>>59238731
Being satisfied with listening to a lossy format and not having to obsess over subtle little tinglies at 19.9 kHz can be considered, in some contexts, a blessing in its own way.
>>
>>59238731
No, you're perfectly fine.

For more bullshit demystifying I recommend watching xiph.org's videos:
https://xiph.org/video/

You know, to get a professional view.
>>
>>59239013
Golden ear means you don't hear the difference. So OP does have golden ears.

Audiophiles wish they didn't hear the difference so they could be happy with mp3 V0 and any pair of headphones.
>>
>>59239100
Especially 2nd vid or even better his article:
https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

No, you don't hear the difference. Stop lying.
>>
Keeping music in FLAC has other uses other than hearing sound quality. If you have FLAC you can transcode into any format. So if you already have music in FLAC why not listen to it?

I can hear up to 18kHz (I'm going to be 27 this month). When I was a kid I had my hearing checked out and the doctor said I had higher than average hearing.

I can actually tell the difference between V0 and 320/FLAC. Blind tested myself.
>>
I do sound recording for a local podcasts on the weekend ( not a professional, just a side project with some friends)

From my understanding, at a certain point you can't tell the difference because the mp3 compression cut off frequencies that you can't even hear (too low or too high). Also, if the recording was not done at a high enough bit rate then the playback quality doesn't make a huge difference.

From my experience unless you're recording and editing audio for the purpose of production you don't need large memory FLAC files and $700 earphones to listen to some fucking music
>>
>>59239200
No, you can't.

Apart from that the first argument is obviously valid. I keep thousands of ex-wcd flacs because of that. And also because I'm not some poor fuck and I can afford proper storage.
>>
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646411/lossless-vs-128kbps-mp3-vs-320kbps-mp3-blind-test

Just took a blind test.
In every case i could distinguish the Losless sample but couldnt tell between MP3 320 and 128.

Losless samples have distinguishable depth to them. I could tell losless by the difference in the string sound and drum strike, it's like a blurry image against a sharp one.
>>
>>59238731
you probably have pleb tier audio equipment. high bitrate mp3 can sound good to be fair but it depends on the type of music.
>>
and the mastering is generally more important than the encoding. mainstream music has to take into account people listening with $1-10 earphones, laptop speakers and car speakers. try listening to some "mastered for iTunes" versions of songs to see if they sound better.
>>
>>59238731
Yeah, you're still using an inefficient nonfree format to encode your music. Install opus.
>>
No because the ear cant hear anything over 24 fps per second.
>>
>>59238731
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoBPNTAFZMo

Nothing wrong with you. FLAC is bulshit.
>>
>>59239587
The last MP3 patents are about to expire anyway, then it will be a free format too.
>>
>>59239935
Do you really want to use a format old enough to be released into the public domain when there is one currently being developed that was intended by its creators to be free?
>>
>>59238834
Actually hybrids are objectively garbage but I guess you wouldn't know better. Pistons were last good Xiaomeme iems.
>>
>>59238731
Sir, you may want to sit down. You are neurotypical and there is no cure for it. This doesn't mean that you can't live a fulfilling life. Even if you may not be able to post on /g/ you can channel your interests into having a steady job and a relationship. I wish you the best of luck.
>>
>>59240124
once mp3 is free there will be little to no reason to use ogg
>>
>>59239763
jej
>>
>>59238731
It's not about a readily audible difference

it's about remnant quality one or more conversions down the line (think portable players and editing)

and about not throwing away data that may be useful at some point if there's no need to throw it away

fuck your bait post
>>
>>59238731
get some real headphones
>>
Literally nuffin. You must use hi-end stereo system to hear the difference.
>>
>>59238731
No. There is literally no difference with mp3s above 64kbps.
>>
>>59238731
Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.