[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello. I perform live with a band that has a live drummer. Currently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: Q502USB_P0ALL_Top_L[1].png (501KB, 519x800px) Image search: [Google]
Q502USB_P0ALL_Top_L[1].png
501KB, 519x800px
Hello. I perform live with a band that has a live drummer. Currently I am running a poor man's setup with the audio from ableton going to a usb audio interface (numark mixtrack pro II) through usb, and then going to the speakers with a RCA cable.
I need a way to send a clicktrack from ableton to the drummer without sending it to the public.
I have been considering two ways to do this: * panning the music to the right and the clicktrack to the left and then using a mixer and send the left signal to the drummer in headphones and the right signal to the speaker * buying a usb audio interface with 4 outputs and running a master track and a cue track in ableton.
The cost is a pretty big factor and I really don't need an expensive audio interface. Is it possible to do it with a Behringer 302usb or a Behringer 502usb?
>>
>nu-musicans
>click track
>>
>>59234986
Like anon said. How new is the drummer??
The most ghetto poorfag solution would be to use any playback device and just make a playlist of metronome tracks that matches the setlist. The the drummer just has one headphone with the metronome and one with the main audio.
It seems retarded but I've seen it done a couple of times and it actually works surprisingly well.
>>
Cant you just use a composite output driver (like asio4all) to both use your interface and your laptop's audio card at the same time, using the audio card just for the click track?
>>
>>59234885
One thing you could do is send the click track ahead of time, e.g. during practice.

Just a thought.
>>
File: Easy.png (84KB, 326x525px) Image search: [Google]
Easy.png
84KB, 326x525px
Simple method
>>
>>59234885

To do it properly instead of half-assing it (which will just turn out to be a waste of time and money at some point in the future, trust), you need another interface which you can assign more outputs to. They're not expensive. If your band goes anywhere near a gig with the most basic of live sound gear you will need to route it properly as a separated output.

If ableton will play nice with your controller and a berry USB thing at the same time you could possibly do it that way, but I have no idea what the USB on those cheapshit mixers actually does. I'd lean towards something designed as in interface rather than a $10 mixer with an 'interface' slapped on it.
>>
>>59234885
Find a drummer who knows how to play?
>>
>>59234885
> need a way to send a clicktrack from ableton to the drummer

get a new drummer, most drummers would leave anyway if the heard that you want them to play to click track
>>
>>59234986
>>59235165
>>59235725
>>59235806

Confirmed children who know nothing about live music. Many drummers of the biggest bands in the world use click tracks in live performances, out of choice, as a tool to aid their playing.

>inb4 HURR MUH FAVOURITE BAND DOESN'T

many of, not all. Just because you and your mate dave don't doesn't mean that applies the world over. More than likely it actually means you're shit because you don't use the tools available to you to make you a better performer.
>>
>>59234885
Not with the behringer xenyx 502 & 302. They're not worth it. Only 15V phantompower and max 150 Ohm on headphones. You'll Miss these features at some point and have to buy a more expensive device anyway. So get something better right of the start.
>>
>>59235922
>Many drummers of the biggest bands in the world
and many singers lipsynch...

I mean seriously
>>
>>59234986
>nu-musicians
>press spacebar
>>
>>59235963
i got the 302 and it's a really poorly made piece of equipment. It is very noisy as well. Cheaply constructed. I'm no audiophile either, it's just a really shitty thing
>>
>his band doesn't need a calculator to determine the time signature

Into the trash it goes!
>>
>>59236056
Well, you try to sound like the album while dancing around.
>>
>>59236522
Got my Xenyx 502usb for 30€. It's ok for that money. wouldn't pay any more on it tho.
>>
>>59235922

As a former working musician, I absolutely despise this approach you so highly praise, which pretty much is only needed when you have an autotuning track for the """"""""""vocalists""""" or just need to be kept in synch with backup dancers or a lightshow.

But hey, its current year. People no longer need to have even a semblance of skill and asking them to learn is being "enablist". Why bother, right?
>>
>>59237983

As a current working live sound technician, I ask why wouldn't you?

You want a show programmed up with lights and video and projection and all the other things that make a fancy show, so you need to use a click track to make sure it all works together. What's the big deal? I know loads of fucking incredible drummers that use click tracks when they play in a live show that has any of the things I mentioned above. It has nothing to do with their playing ability or skill level. Being too stubborn to use a click does not make you a better musician.

Or in this case, it's a bunch of stuff tracked on a computer that doesn't have the ability to recognise the exact moments to start, stop and bend its tempo around the drummer, so he needs a click to follow to hold it together. It's a tool.

This has nothing to do with auto-tuning or vocalists or any other shady faux-performance tactics that I too despise, the use of a click in a live show does not fall in to that group.
>>
>>59238252
>I ask why wouldn't you?

It kills any freedom to innovate and improvise on the spot.

Remember when you where 20 and had a band with just friends and you could just add 16 bars to a solo or some interlude impromptu by giving your drummer a look and everybody else would know whats going on?

Thats impossible with click tracks.
>>
I don't usually recommend asio4 all, but this: >>59235103

alternatively, get a new soundcard with 4 outs, it shouldn't be too expensive (don't get focusrite usb shit though, it has bad asio drivers with high latency)
>>
>>59235307
retard
>>
>>59238297
That's kind of a shit reason there bud. The click track inhibiting the guitarist from being a faggot and adding 16 bars to a shit solo doesn't really reflect on the click track being 'fake' or stifuling innovation. A good musician would know how to innovate with the allotted time frame anyways.

I know people that use and don't use them. Some great and some not. They never argue over it though so I wonder why we all are now.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.