[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear Windows users of /g/, Hello. This is not a troll post.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 10

File: terminal.png (137KB, 2000x1700px) Image search: [Google]
terminal.png
137KB, 2000x1700px
Dear Windows users of /g/,

Hello. This is not a troll post. It will look and read like one though.

If you cannot pull up a functional (read: UNIX) terminal on your operating system, it is a bad operating system. The command prompt is not a terminal. Powershell is not a terminal.

If you are sitting on your Windows computer and thinking that cmd.exe is anywhere at all near the same level as a UNIX terminal and you just haven't "gone deeper" yet, let me tell you that you have not "gone deeper" because there is no "deeper". If you were on a good operating system, with access to a good terminal, you might actually learn how to program or how computers work rather than just playing with your glorified gaming console.

There are programmers that use Windows, and there are methods of getting a decent terminal on the operating system (Cygwin, VM with GNU/Linux, ssh to a GNU/Linux server, etc). I am telling you now though, if you are of the mindset that Windows alone is the almighty power-user system, you are not correct and you really owe it to yourself to see the other side of the fence.

Ask anyone who programs: a UNIX terminal is clutch in so many ways. I find my Android phone to be a more useable environment for programming than an unconfigured Windows computer.

If you've tried GNU/Linux and backed down because things just kept "breaking", simply download the latest Ubuntu or CentOS and give it a go again. There is a learning curve, but you will come through enlightened.

And yes, I realize using words like enlightened makes this sound silly. It isn't though, it is very serious. Hopefully the comments aren't a shit show.

Sincerely,
OP
>>
>>59228814
Don't forget about MacOS. I use MacOS and Debian daily, but Windows is relegated to a single machine for purposes of video games. It is a toy OS to be used for entertainment.
>>
>>59228814
calling it GNU makes you abouts as retarded though so there is that.
>>
>>59228814
>I find my Android phone to be a more useable environment for programming than an unconfigured Windows computer.

What about an unconfigured Android phone vs a configured Windows machine?
>>
>>59228814
but it plays my games good so i dont care lmao xd
>>
>>59228814
boy, i havent seen this in a good long while
>>
>>59228814
Winods 7 user and can confirm this. Wish i had an epic terminal
>>
>>59228814

>Powershell is not a terminal
Heyyo, Linux user here. Don't knock Powershell. It can do some pretty nifty things that Bash can't. It's not compatible with the original sh obviously, but it is usable as a shell on its own right.

Seriously, can Bash into proper self-modifying code?
#!/usr/bin/env powershell

# Create new dynamic method AddFive :: Int32 -> Int32
$method = New-Object Reflection.Emit.DynamicMethod("AddFive", [Int32], @([Int32]))

# Emit some CIL for said method
$generator = $method.GetILGenerator()
$generator.Emit([Reflection.Emit.OpCodes]::Ldarg_0)
$generator.Emit([Reflection.Emit.OpCodes]::Ldc_I4_5)
$generator.Emit([Reflection.Emit.OpCodes]::Add)
$generator.Emit([Reflection.Emit.OpCodes]::Ret)

# Get a delegate to be able to invoke said method
$AddFive = $method.CreateDelegate([Func``2[Int32, Int32]])

# Execute (should print 7)
Write-Output $AddFive.Invoke(2)

How about a TCP server?

# Create a TCP server listening on port 50750
$ip = [Net.IPAddress]::Parse("127.0.0.1")
$port = 50750
$server = New-Object Net.Sockets.TcpListener $ip, $port
$server.Start()

$buffer = New-Object byte[] 1024

while ($true)
{
# Accept a client
$accepted = $server.AcceptTcpClientAsync()
$client = $accepted.Result
if ($client -eq $null) { continue }

# Read data from client and echo it back
$stream = $client.GetStream()
do
{
$n = $stream.Read($buffer, 0, 1024)
$stream.Write($buffer, 0, $n)
} while ($stream.CanRead)

# Clean up
$client.Dispose()
}
>>
>>59228871
t. someone who doesn't do CAE. Even the cross platform NX, which I use, doesn't support CAE on anything but Windows. I hate it, but there you go.
>>
>>59228814
tldr; REMINDER: If you're not utilizing the terminal in a GNU/Linux system, you aren't really using GNU/LInux.
>>
>>59229347
>Don't knock Powershell
I deal with that fucking mess of a language every day and I want more than anything for it to die.
It has a lot of potential power, but writing and maintaining it is worse than dealing with legacy Perl code
>>
>>59228814
Dear OP

I enjoy my hacked together setup that lets me do everything I would ever need to do for programming.

I grew up with Windows and I enjoy it, I have a VM and Cygwin whenever I need to do something "heavy hitting" with programming but I find that I have the same success with installing an IDE and letting it "just werk"

I enjoy my hacked together setup, I have all the control I could ever want over my programs since I still use 7.

BATCH is also very useful, give it a try. It's not a catch all end all and nowhere near the level of a UNIX terminal but for simple stuff it's fine.

Perhaps you have an approach and I have an approach and those two approaches are both correct in their own way.

In the end, your argument boils down to "Linux is better than Windows without any modifications" and I can agree with you on that. But with mods? I'll take Windows any day of the week.
>>
>>59228814
>there are methods of getting a decent terminal on the operating system (Cygwin, VM with GNU/Linux, ssh to a GNU/Linux server, etc).
Another way is the Windows Subsystem for Linux, aka Bash on Ubuntu on Windows, aka GNU/kWindows. This works like the reverse of Wine, translating Linux system calls into Windows ones, so that binaries written for GNU/Linux, including the shell and many common command-line tools, can run on Windows.
>>
>>59229378

>worse than dealing with legacy Perl code
Clearly either you or your coworkers are bad at writing readable code.
>>
>>59229434
>I have all the control I could ever want over my programs
That must not be very much control, given that your operating system and probably most of your programs are proprietary.
>>
>>59229347
how is this good?

this is literally shell abuse.
>>
>>59229476
>NOT FREE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I can (un)install at my leisure any program or any data on my computer. I can distribute, even illicitly, any data on my computer. I can edit any data on my computer.

Where don't have I have freedom anon?

>b-but binary files

That's just hard mode.
>>
>>59229491
>having features is abuse
yep, that's the *nix mindset alright
>>
>>59229541
clearly you don't know shit about shells.

this is literally fucking retarded and the fact you can't see it is because you know shitall about language design.
>>
For myself I have Linux Mint Cinnamon for common using. I am not programming or anything like that but I find it more comfortable to use. The only reason I keep a Windows session is sadly for gaming because my steam on wine still have soles graphics troubles that I just can't fix... My games load on a black screen and then I need to kill steam or else I can't get back on working properly on my drawings and writings. And to conclude sadly people don't want to change because they are lazy to learn how to use any Linux distribution... Many of my friends tell me it's complicated, that they can't use their favorite software and so on. I told them there are alternatives and that the only thing that doesn't run properly are games but they keep saying that "Windows is easier"...
>>
>>59228814
Windows Subsystem for Linux
>>
>>59229347
#!/bin/bash

while true; do
f=$(mktemp -u)

mkfifo "$f"
cat "$f" | nc -l 1234 >"$f"

rm -f "$f"
done
>>
>>59229491

>this is literally shell abuse
Not really. It's just that Powershell is more than just a shell and can be used as a regular old programming language like anything else, and doesn't rely on the existence of other programs when it has .NET at its disposal.
>>
>>59229552
before you even respond

a shell is suppose to be a UI first and foremost.
scripting is a secondary concern

shit like objects and strong typing only add a fuckload of godawful noise for something that is suppose to be the primary UI of a system.
>>
I don't know what it is exactly. I am a newbie on this. Is it a VM ? Because I know that VM will lower my PC capacities and for gaming it seems to be a bad choice according to the advices my gf gave me :s
>>
>>59229621
what the fuck numale shit is this?

just kill the "VM" if it interferes with your cuck gaymen hobby.

it's not like it has to run indefinitely.
>>
>>59228814
this is true
>>
>>59229595

If you want to use utility programs, it's basically the same in PowerShell

while ($true)
{
$f = mktemp -u
mkfifo $f
cat $f | nc -l 1234 > $f
rm -f $f
}

But the thing is that PowerShell does not need these programs to function. It can just as easily serve as a shell as it can as a scripting language with a standard library backend (as, say, Python might import a socket library).
>>
>>59228814
People still use windows?
>>
File: linuxsub.png (15KB, 424x387px) Image search: [Google]
linuxsub.png
15KB, 424x387px
>>59228814
Dear OP

You are faget
>>
>>59228814
>download the latest Ubuntu
lol you mean ubuntu on windows right?
>>
>>59229570
This.
I'm an Arch user, but have Wangblows 10 installed for mah gaems. With Ubuntu built straight into Windows now, I can have a proper shell whenever the hell I want.
>>
>>59229704
But you can't modify files using it.

You literally cannot use nano to write a text file, and then open that text file up in Windows. This is documented on the Microsoft Blog.

Not only that, you're trying to drive a round peg into a square hole.
>>
>>59228814
lost me at crapping on powershell. bash could learn a few things.

>see server2k12 core
>>
>>59229739
> (read: UNIX) terminal
>>
>>59229701
general nonfree productivity software, gaymen.

some cucks are just screwed with the botnet.

rip
>>
>>59229751
I'd rather script everything-Windows on Bash and GNU coreutils, than the other way around.
>>
>>59229786
M$ is all about "Not made here"

that's pretty much never happening.

that ubuntu bullshit was just free press mental masturbation by some M$ cuck engineer. It doesn't really do anything useful.
>>
>>59228814
Dear cuckold,

Who gives a shit?

Sincerely,
Everyone

P.S. kill yourself
>>
>>59229751
my issues with bash
>basic OO
>types
>proper arrays and hash tables
>directory integration that doesn't feel like I'm trapped in the 80's

things I miss the most are things like ssh(coming), scp(robocopy just ain't cross platform so pscp is a must), nc and ln (it's not the same with NTFS)

also goodluck with powercli on bash, and sadly esxi is gimped if you just ssh to it.
>>
>>59229739
>But you can't modify files using it.
I literally just pulled up WSL, navigated to my home (Windows) directory, and edited a python file in vim.

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. For the record, I love Linux, and agree, but Windows has had a solid terminal environment for a long time now. You're not even limited to Ubuntu. I did that in an Arch environment.
>>
>>59228814
>hurr you're not computing if you're not computing my way
>>
>>59229856

Bash is JUST a shell language, so it isn't intended to support OO or types at all. It need only have strings. Of course, you shouldn't use a shell language for a large program.
>>
>>59229856
I feel like that's what shit like Python is for.

I use Bash for, who whoulda thunk it, shell scripting.
>>
>>59229949
more like what ruby is for.

ruby syntax is very shell-like
>>
>>59229927
but it's not large programs

it's literally
>oh here's a list of users from HR who work here
$hr = import-csv userlist
$ad = get-adusers -filter {enabled -eq true} -properties foo
foreach($user in $hr) {
if($ad -notcontains $user) {
$user.samaccountname | tee -outfile x.txt
}

and a million more little questions I can answer with data very quickly without needing an ide.

with wmi and ad and esxi and linux coming, I don't think I'll ever need to leave powershell.
>>
>>59229949
agreed if microsoft suddenly decided to HEAVILY support python

however little oo things like dir returning a directory object rather than having to parse text or gawk $col or serialize/deserialize because the types recognized (and castable!) are a breath of fresh air
>>
I often woneder why no one has made an OO *nix shell.

>or is it python?
>>
>>59229978
I tried learning Ruby once. I almost vomited from how disgusting it was.

For simple shell scripts, Bash, along with UNIX tools like awk, sed, grep, etc. are sufficient. If I need a little more, Python is my next choice.
>>
>If you cannot pull up a functional (read: UNIX) terminal on your operating system, it is a bad operating system
First objection: Why?
Why I need a terminal in my GUI driven OS?
Why I needs to be a Unix terminal if I'm not using UNIX?
>>
>>59230022
Yeah that's true. MS environments are shit for choice. Getting anything outside of (and even inside of for that matter) MS's ecosystem is almost always a pain in the ass. WSL seems promising though.
>>
>>59230040

Python is not a shell language, just a scripting language. That said, PowerShell is available on Linux and Mac OS X, and with some work could be ported to other Unixes.

https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell
>>
>>59230114
i have an insane urge to install this on gentoo and write modules for this that manage portage, if only to bait the shit out of /g/ in desktop threads
>>
>>59230249
do it faggot
>>
Dear Linux apologists, enthusiasts and evangelist. This is not a troll post, it's a hard fact.

If the end user of a desktop operating system in 2017 has to open a terminal, you've failed. The terminal is a last ditch backup user interface for when your GUI isn't capable of performing a task. The fact the terminal is necessary for even the most basic use of Linux as a desktop isn't a feature, it's a flaw.
>>
File: lol.jpg (167KB, 1484x1256px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
167KB, 1484x1256px
>my OS is so unstable i need to have a command window open at all times in order to maintain basic functionality
god im fucking dying
>>
>>59230313
what?
>>
If plaintext was as efficient at displaying information as designed GUIs then latter wouldn't exist. Finding the name of a registry key that has changed from one Windows version to another is a huge pain in the ass. But in Linux finding a setting name which has been changed is an absolute nightmare that can usually only be resolved by digging up dead forum posts or digging through manuals.
>>
>>59228814
If you don't know your way around powershell you may as well just kill yourself senpai.
>>
>>59229692
are you saying powershell is the systemd of shells?
>>
>>59228814
the whole concept of terminals is an arcane practice that for the vast majority of people reading this wasn't even a thing until decades before they were born.

We have modern day technology like a GUIs and desktop computers.
>>
>>59230760
so "newer == better"?
and why do they need to be exclusive? each have their strengths and weaknesses, shunning cli's just because it's "that old thing we USED to use exclusively" is silly
>>
>>59230824
you are confusing the act of typing a command to a computer with the act of wanting to emulate a terminal.
>>
>>59230873
you are confusing typing commands with wanting a terminal on a modern computer.
>>
Why the Fuck would I WANT to use a shell. If I want to do something scripty I'll use python, vba or an IDE. And before you start bitching about your editors, I use emacs. But seriously, why do you need a shell when you have full featured programming languages AND a gui?
Also, FUCK dotfiles. It'd be one thing if it was a hash-map or something.
And finally FUCK PARSERS. Parse this, parse that. Send text input from one program to another. It's annoying. It's a poor way of doing things. It made sense in the 70's. It doesn't make sense now.
>>
>>59230854
you need some kind of environment that handles IO, real terminals is what was the standard, and there hasn't been a need to replace them, so we continue to emulate the old terminals

are you instead suggesting we create a more modern text interface? what would you change?
>>
>>59229434
>I grew up with windows
KEK

What kind of modifications? Why do windows kiddies spend all their time talking about how they have "fixed" their operating system by installing a bunch of compatibility layers to allow them to do basic things like opening a remote shell and working with block devices? Why not just do the real deal? mac is literally objectively the best operating system. there is literally zero incentive not to use it other than if FOSS is your M.O., which if you're using Windows obviously isn't the case.
>>
>>59230902
>he wants to write a program any time he wants to manipulate files programmatically

I don't know about you, but I am 100% confident that I have an easier time navigating and manipulating files in bash than in a graphical file explorer/text-editor. If you asked me 5 years ago I never would have believed it. If I can anticipate working within a specific tree for a period of time, VS Code is my editor of choice. Otherwise terminal for sure. Try using Windows Explorer search and find + grep side by side and get back to me. Obviously there's a learning curve, but once you're there you're there.
>>
>>59231063
You got me there. I do embedded + full stack so I never touch it, but I know that people hate xcode.
>>
>>59228814
>If you cannot pull up a functional (read: UNIX) terminal on your operating system, it is a bad operating system.
Good thing i have tons of solutions in that regard, then.
>If you've tried GNU/Linux and backed down because things just kept "breaking", simply download the latest Ubuntu or CentOS and give it a go again.
Yeah, no.
Got an unfixable kernel panic simply by installing 3 DE's.

Besides, there's nothing linux has at the moment that i need(besides having fun with the interface, sometimes)
>>
>>59229378
Nope. You're just bad at PowerShell.

>>59228814
What is it specifically that makes your UNIX terminal better than PowerShell, Windows Server, Active Directory, Group Policy, MDT, WSUS, SCCM and the entirety of the Microsoft client/server platform, on a Windows NT 6 domain?

Typed from my Windows Client, fully managed in an automated fashion by my Windows Server.
>>
File: a.png (18KB, 380x80px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
18KB, 380x80px
>>59231079
>If you asked me 5 years ago I never would have believed it.
this is the hard part, trying to explain to someone who hasn't used it how it could possibly be better

starting from nothing you're looking at;
gui: windows of labelled buttons, limited in scope, but immediately usable
cli: a blank prompt and endless manuals, where to begin?
>>
>>59231177
>a blank prompt and endless manuals, where to begin?

The same place you do when you want to figure out how to do something in a gui: fucking google it.

Browsing facebook is identical on all operating systems. Partitioning drives or changing a system setting takes exactly as long in Windows through the GUI as it does in a command line. In the former you are navigating a GUI (one which doesn't have stdin and stdout, so I hope you don't have anything you dont want to do manually), in the latter you are googling for a command (or opening the manpage on a known command) and potentially copying and pasting it quicker than you can find it graphically.
>>
File: wewlad.png (522KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wewlad.png
522KB, 1920x1080px
Actually Windows had a POSIX layer and later, a UNIX subsystem.

The problem was that UNIX was depreciated and nobody was using it so they replaced it with Ubuntu.
>>
>>59231176
>What is it specifically that makes your UNIX terminal better than PowerShell

Forced updates that reboot your machine and break all powershell scripts.
>>
>>59231258
you missed my point
the cli is /unguided/, it's great /once you know what you're doing/, no sooner

most people don't like manuals, this is pretty evident
you can get further in most guis without first looking up how to do what you're trying to do than you can with the cli
>>
>>59231176
>all this retarded bullshit that reads and works like a library dewey decimal lookup system

you want to know how you provision a new mac system? brew bundle; git clone {{dotfiles}};

follow similar steps on linux.

try it. you'll love editing text files instead of using 15 year old GUIs.
>>
>>59231342
Like I said, browsing facebook is identical. IF you ever try to touch any system utilities or configuration, do you really think that you are more productive navigating aimlessly than googling which buttons to click or which lines to copy and paste into bash? do you really think task scheduler, for instance, is more intuitive than cron?
>>
>>59231392
i would imagine it'd be easier to do at least some things in tasksched without looking anything up than cron

if you're forced to look up information anyway, you might as well used either
>>
>>59228814
Your post is outdated by 20 years. Linux used to be a descent workstation OS in the late 90s, but it went hard down the shitter since and is basically a joke compared to anything above windows 2003.
>>
>>59231392
-- also, copying and pasting commands shouldn't be a common occurrence, you're not learning anything by doing this
copying and pasting commands just leads to more copying and pasting commands
>>
>>59231418
Except ALL of the information needed to use a command line utility is flat, that's the benefit. The instructions are a list of plaintext that you can navigate and search in your web browser or less. Often you will even be able to copy someone else's preformatted command.

Seriously, if you go find something on the internet, you are still clicking buttons after you do. If you find relevant information for a command, you are now ready to go. If you find out where a certain executable is located for taskscheduler, you are still navigating to it. if you want to programmatically add tasks (bad example, programmatically do ANYTHING), you are googling some random arcane domain-specific bullshit you have to do in powershell, in linux/unix your knowledge is universal. You can do the same xargs/substitution/grep with any program.
>>
>>59228814
>Command prompt is NOT a terminal

Of course it's not a terminal, you order taco Bell from command prompt.
>>
>>59231441
>he thinks linux today (i.e., major workstation oriented distros) is anything less than 50x more turnkey and effective than late-90s linux

spotted the 14 year old. did you notice how you can now play video games on linux and how major commercial consumer-oriented products like google chrome are now available on linux? did you notice how ubuntu can install itself on basically any modern hardware?

if you insist on being retarded (i'm sure you do), try and defend windows against mac. you can't.
>>
>>59231453
>you're not learning anything by doing this
Yes I am. I'm learning that wilful use of difficult methods just becase they are difficult has no merit at all.
>>
>>59231661
missed the point

>>59231656
not sure how that relates to what was said
>>
>>59231661
did your 1997 emachine run chromium? was your 1997 emachine what you would consider a mass market product that your grandma could use? do you think your grandma would have a better time finding facebook on ubuntu 16.04 as she would have on debian 2.1?

is it really this hard to get the point?
>>
>>59228814
>this is not a troll post, but it actually is
>>
>>59231499
Are you still in school or something?

Almost no pro software package works on linux. The power plant design software company I work for dropped linux support around 2007 because it wasn't worth it anymore. The latest fedora/centos looks and handles like shit compared to redhat 8/9. Of the 6 laptops I have laying around my lab only 1 barely supports linux, if you can call support a 50% reduction in battery life, unreliable sleep/wake and the need re-compile the wireless drivers yourself. FYI 15 years ago you could waltz into any computer store, pick a linux distribution from the shelf, and run it on literally any desktop pc. Now unless you picked one of the handful officially blessed laptops you're fucked.

Macs aren't even on the radar when it comes to anything other than webdev. Or maybe you believe that anytime you step out of your house, walk into any shop, take public transportation or visit an hospital, you aren't relying on thousands of windows-only software packages that wouldn't even exists if not for the ~20 years of technological lead windows has on other OSes?

Last year I did a little project involving wifi, showcased it for a couple of 'CONs over the summer. For some stupid reason I've picked linux for that one. And YOU KNOW WHAT? It's $CURRENT_FUCKING_YEAR, and linux still relies on wpa_supplicant for key management. WPA FUCKING SUPPLICAT. Had to switch to openbsd for that one, even that dinosaur of an OS has semi-competent auth management compared to linux. And so did windows 2000 for that matter.

Oh you can play games now? Wow that's really awesome man. Why would we ever need anything else right?
>>
>>59231970
what's wrong with wpa_supplicant?

that got me curious, i mean, even android uses wpa_supplicant, if it didn't do the job google surely would have used/made something else
>>
>>59229347
>Insulting bash
Get away from my shellfu
>>
>>59228814
Dear Linux users of /g/,

Hello. This is not a troll post.

if your video and sound drivers, display management and font rendering does not work out of the box after your system installation, it is a bad operating system
>>
>>59232196
Running in parallel with the driver, it's a cesspool of race conditions. Whole-fully inadequate for any kind of advanced usage like wireless pentesting. With a single device you can manage by basically pre- and suffixing every single one of your script with a function that kills the poor thing and wipes its tmp dir. When dealing with multiple antennas and concurrent connections setups/teardowns (so most of the offensive wireless know-how of the last 5 years) it's a fucking nightmare. Not having key scheduling driver-side is just so lame at this point.
>>
>>59232247
>>59232550
Real programmers don't need video or sound, or displays, or fonts, or networking.
>>
File: 424694.jpg (190KB, 1253x866px) Image search: [Google]
424694.jpg
190KB, 1253x866px
>>59228814
>This is not a troll post

Stopped reading here, give it up lincuck nobody irl cares about your FUD.
>>
>unix

It's fucking shit though. Who says your utilities gotta be GNU/POSIX bullshit?

I'd rather get an actual programming language REPL rather than some fucktarded bash shit.
>>
File: file.png (11KB, 589x279px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
11KB, 589x279px
>>59228814
>>
>>Implying you can't install Git Bash on Windows.
>>
>>59232868
Use msys2 anon.
>>
>>59228814

stop using clutch.
>>
>>59232247
they do.

Even windows got it somewhat working recently so it's still not an argument.
>>
>>59232946
>NNNOO IT WORKS ON MY BOX I SWEAR NNNOT AND ARGUMENT
your butthurt is overflowing bro
>>
I get work done with my Windows machine
>>
>>59232975
not butthurt desu.
Back when I was using windows I was relieved when it dealt with the drivers, when I moved over to GNU/Linux I didn't expect that, it's just that on most hardware generic drivers work well enough.
>>
>>59228814
I have never had the need for such a terminal.

I don't game either.

/thread and fuck off
>>
>>59233032
>I have never had the need for such a terminal.
>I don't game either.

What do you do with computers, then?
>>
>>59228814
I don't use my gaming PC to program, moron
>>
>>59229873
There is a Windows version of Vim, you should use that if you're on windows.
>>
>>59231970
>~20 years of technological lead windows has on other OSes
Are you talking about the OS that didn't recognize multiple USB configurations for years forcing every manufacturer into idiotic workarounds? The only reason Windows appear to be ahead is that everyone has to work around its limitations, every other OS then has to work around these workarounds.
>>
>>59231317
Windows 10 Long Term Servicing Branch (LTSB) has no forced updates.

>>59231372
No thanks, I'll stick with my Enterprise grade setup.

>>59232247
This guy gets it.

>>59232615
This guy doesn't.

Seriously, what's so great about this terminal?
>>
>>59228814
What exactly is so bad about the Windows command prompt? The main deficiency is that most Windows installers for compilers don't add them to your PATH (in contrast to Linux package managers), so you have to use an IDE or add it to PATH yourself. But other than that, the Windows command prompt has basically the same features, I/O redirection, pipes, scripting. Most of the "advanced features" of Unix terminals are extra programs, which could of course be ported and compiled for Windows, the real issue is that Windows doesn't have a standard package manager.
>>
lmao can it play Victoria 2
>>
File: guibabby.png (176KB, 709x484px) Image search: [Google]
guibabby.png
176KB, 709x484px
>>59230077
>Why I need a terminal in my GUI driven OS?
>>
>>59236563
Deflecting.
>>
>>59230283
What the fuck are you even on about? GNU/Linux lets you open, create, move, and manipulate files using the DE just like Windows. Sure, the package manager is a terminal program - but most have GUI frontends, and Windows doesn't even HAVE a package manager. Linux still lets you install software the hard (read Windows) way - open your GUI web browser, find a website with your GUI search engine, download it using your GUI download manager, unzip it using your GUI unzipping utility, and then running it by double-clicking on it.

>>59230472
>what is backwards compatibility
>>
>>59236621
>damage control
>>
>nobody remembers perl
>>
>>59236652
>Windows doesn't even HAVE a package manager
Yes it does; it's called SCCM. It sits on a Windows Server domain and manages software distribution to all clients. Software is advertised to collections; any system in a given collection gets all advertised software automatically via the SCCM client.

If your OS imaging process automatically places computer objects in the correct Active Directory Organization Unit, the entire process is fully automated.
>>
>>59236733
Okay, so how do I use it to install software on Windows 7?
>>
File: acme.png (55KB, 1130x930px) Image search: [Google]
acme.png
55KB, 1130x930px
>>59230904
>>
>>59236821
1. Create an NT6 domain and add your Windows 7 PC to it; have one AD OU for Win7 x86, another for Win7 x64
2. Correctly install and configure SCCM on top of a SQL standard datbase, enterprise or express is not appropriate for this use case
3. Create an SCCM collection, and set up AD discovery, targeting this OU. This will add all computers in the OU to the SCCM collection, and install the SCCM agent via the SCCM service account
4. Create packages in SCCM with silent install commands
5. Advertise packages from 4 to collections from 3 and observe as all of your software is automatically installed on your device
6. Set up operating system deployment, such that when you push F12, your latest OS build, drivers, group policies, settings, mapped drives, applications, etc are all pushed to any device you own

The goal is that configurations are centralized on your server, and pushed out; same process massive corporations use for hundreds of thousands of systems
>>
>>59236563
Oh, I see. For some strange reason you believe that you cant control your computer without a terminal.
Why do you think in that whay?
>>
>>59235184
So what are those others supposedly better real time micro-kernels with decades of guaranteed retro-compatibility and business support that you have in mind? True, a few of the now-defunct unixes used to have some enviable sweet-spots, but what you seem not to realise is that compared to pretty much anything else out there right now windows is basically futuristic space magic, there is no contest.
>>
>>59229514
So windows is free as long as you prefer to do things on hard mode and are criminal?
>>
>>59231301
Hi Kevin, have you finally ditched Solus?
>>
>>59228814
>If you are sitting on your Windows computer and thinking that cmd.exe is anywhere at all near the same level as a UNIX terminal and you just haven't "gone deeper" yet, let me tell you that you have not "gone deeper" because there is no "deeper".
Well, no shit - isn't the only thing anyone actually uses it for ipconfig?
>>
Photoshop.
Make it work on Ubuntu.

>wine
terrible. I'd like to see you make that work.

>VM
Might as well just install Windows.
>>
>>59240107
let's see... ping, traceroute, renaming multiple files, recursive search, robocopy, net start/stop services, net use remote volumes, fdisk, and shutdown /t /0 when you want to end the terminal session without installing any updates but Microsoft removed that option from the GUI for some reason (?!)

...to name a few, off the top of my head. What's this Unix terminal do that's so hot?
>>
>>59240107
You should use it for anything that doesn't require high performance.
>>
>>59236955
You're very limited in what you can do with GUI alone. If you're OS is anywhere close to half decent (in other words, it's actually configurable and not 99% hard-coded), there's no way a GUI could ever have all the possible options. The GUI is mainly for streamlining common tasks, if you limit yourself to what's practical for a GUI to do, there's a lot of options that aren't available.
>>
>>59230313
>I'm so tech illiterate that I think clicking Next Next Install makes me a sysadmin
>>
>>59240350
Makes way more sense to just have a separate windows device for Photoshop and gaymes than it does to use an OS that's literally riddled with back doors and vulnerabilities as your primary OS full time.
>>
>>59240431
Kill yourself
>>
>>59241092
>>
>>59241079
It does if you do other things. I don't. I do graphics for a living and the few games I do play actually run on Linux natively. If you can make photoshop work on Linux, I switch.
>>
>>59228814
a computer is a tool, nothing more.
You simply have no life, and come here to spew your sadness, in the hope someone might react to show somone in your miserable life is listening. Enjoy your day you little sad person.
>>
I work as a senior software developer using a Linux workstation and writing software for Linux servers. OP is full of shit. People who actually care about getting work done can do so just fine both in Windows and in Linux.
>>
>>59241052
>typing apt-get install bonzibuddy makes me a sysadmin
do you read your posts before clicking submit?
>>
>>59241398
Fucking winbaby has probably never even once typed into a conf, this board is becoming cancer and it's all Floens fault.
>>
>>59240852
>literally describing Linux in the Desktop
Thread posts: 140
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.