[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

From a workstation point of view. Wouldn't it be smarter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: pat.png (231KB, 471x354px) Image search: [Google]
pat.png
231KB, 471x354px
From a workstation point of view. Wouldn't it be smarter and cheaper to get something like a dual CPU slot Mobo and 2 Xeons E5-2670 than a single 8c/16t Ryzen? I'm mostly talking about x264/x265 encoding.
>>
>>59216025
Maybe, but then you're heavily sacrificing single threaded performance. Memes aside, the Ryzen chips have great 2015-level single core performance.

And increased power efficiency- those Xeons would be power hungry suckers. If energy was cheap for you, you'd still have the problem of heat. Two xeons pump out a lot of heat too, and you may need to spend money on cooling (IE, air conditioning) to not die.
>>
>>59216025
No. Mobo will be $500, and you will only get @15-16k MAX multi, still less than zen. And you get to use @280 watts. No thanks.
>>
a $70 E5-2670 is great value for money, but a dual socket workstation motherboard is expensive, and two of those CPUs draw a lot of power, and single thread performance is not that good.

I had dual westmere Xeons before, but the heat output and power consumption was too much so I just downgraded to single CPU.
>>
>>59216082
>>59216107
Hmm I can get one Asrock Rack EP2C602 for $350 right now, this is literally only $100 more than x370 mobos. I can get 2 Xeons for $150 which brings the whole combo to less than 1800x alone. What would be the best way to cool em?
>>
>>59216133
I hope it's a new one with warranty for that price. If you're gonna use a tower case, get some 3U/4U CPU coolers. IIRC LGA2011 server mobos have backplates that accept special heatsinks with screw mounting. Supermicro sells suitable coolers, and Noctua has at least one such model.
>>
>>59216025
>From a workstation point of view. Wouldn't it be smarter and cheaper to get something like a dual CPU slot Mobo and 2 Xeons E5-2670 than a single 8c/16t Ryzen? I'm mostly talking about x264/x265 encoding.

In terms of features the Xeons win handily. In terms of performance they're comparable in my opinion—there's little meaningful difference unless you play video games. In terms of price the Xeons win again.

I'd say go with Ryzen if you want new hardware and mostly just encode video, and go with Xeon if you don't mind used and want to do more workstation-oriented stuff (virtualization, whatever).
>>
>>59216082
>No. Mobo will be $500, and you will only get @15-16k MAX multi, still less than zen. And you get to use @280 watts. No thanks.
I paid 200 for a supermicro X9DRD variant and it works well, using it to run a total of six office computers (guest VMs with GPU passthrough) plus a couple of basic appliances for the office

I am >>59218075 btw

I had big hope sfor Ryzen but it seems like a dud for most things unless you insist on buying new. OEMs are just gonna wait for their Opterons, so I'm not sure where the 1800x fits in except for people who want a budget chip BUT insist on it being new (?)... normies
>>
>>59218119
>>59218075
Thanks anon. I was also hyped for Ryzen but it looks like the used market is still your best chance if you want to get something affordable.
>>
>>59218075
>>59218119
>>59218148
Forgot the other pic
>>
>>59216025
>expensive desktop ddr4
>No ECC
>64Gb max
Ryzen is useless for workstation/server applications.

>I'm mostly talking about x264/x265 encoding.
Use gpu.
>>
>>59218224
it does have ECC though
>>
>>59218231
No. Check motherboard specs.
http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AX370-GAMING-5-rev-10#kf
>Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules
It can use ECC modules but you will not get ECC functionality.
>>
>>59218376
>gigabyte gamingshit
meh I'll wait for asrock's boards and more info
also Ryzen a shit I don't really care I was just trying to present factual info
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.