[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is shell scripting a good way to start programming. Also tried

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1484156355227.png (359KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1484156355227.png
359KB, 600x450px
Is shell scripting a good way to start programming.
Also tried C but got tired of it quickly.
Would python be better?
>>
>>59196616
Depends on the type of software that you want to make.
>>
>>59196642
Idk yet, just want to learn programming somehow
can you find jobs knowing only shell script?
>>
>>59196662
If you want a job then python, java or Java script is probably your best bet. Also do your own research.
>>
>>59196616
Try a functional programming language like racket, you'll feel enlightened
>>
>>59196718
If you're just looking to learn functional programming you might as well go with Haskell.
>>
i feel learning programming for the sake of it is fucking stupid, you will run out of steam in like 3 weeks

give yourself a project, something you want to do, and base all your learning around completing that project. it will kepp you motivated and having a end product makes you feel like a badass

python is probably easiest starting point
>>
>>59196616
I really enjoy python - if you want to make small things it's certainly a good language to pick up.

Once you know python, you should be able to transfer to anything. Just don't do it if you don't enjoy it.

Forcing yourself to do it is a surefire way to make yourself hate it and burn out
>>
>>59196953
this, you have to start with a project.

sounds fucking dumb but for me it all started with making macros in WoW, then i learned lua, and xml..

just do some stuff for fun OP. discipline transfers.
>>
You can learn programming on anything. And you can do anything with anything.
You should learn everything so you don't have to do the above mentioned.
>>
>>59196718
This but don't listen to the Haskell hipsters and learn Scala or Ocaml which have actual real life usage. Also facilities for imperative programming will allow you to learn other languages afterwards.
>>
>>59196953
op here thanks for the decent advice sound more fun than repeating some youtube tutorial...
now i have to come up with a project.
>>
Not OP, but guess this is my problem. I've learned python basics and am learning Java at college, but I feel so empty with Python. Guess just doing exercises doesn't give much incentive. What are some cool things you guys can recommend me doing? Small and easy projects, or projects that scale with difficulty? I consider myself pretty good at the basics, I just don't know how to use all available tools and library to do whatever I might want, so maybe a project with a development walkthrough would be nice.

Thanks!
>>
Java or C++ are pretty good places to start, I wouldn't start with C though. Something with libraries is ideal IMO. I'd learn UNIX shell scripting / Java or C++ before you try Python, it'll give you better insight into what is going on.

IMO the absolute best way to learn programming though is to take a class. The threat of failing grades forcing you to actually pay attention to concepts and write programs that you don't want to write (because they're difficult for you to understand) is what's gonna actually make you get better.

Even though I love programming and have had more natural talent and interest in it than anyone else I've ever met, I'd be a pretty shit programmer today if my highschool / uni courses didn't FORCE me to actually learn this shit
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.