[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so /g/ i'm looking to build a super cheap workstation that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1996pc_05.jpg (31KB, 700x334px) Image search: [Google]
1996pc_05.jpg
31KB, 700x334px
so /g/

i'm looking to build a super cheap workstation that i can upgrade as i get more work. I currently just need something to run Photoshop/Ilustrator, a basic IDE, and other misc. tasks.

I think i'm on the right path with this build, but i'm wondering if i should upgrade to a better mobo to get faster I/O and usb c/3.1

i work for a digital marketing company doing design and light web dev and my girlfriend needs a box she can do her graphic design work on.

Should i build this, or should i save a bit and get a better mobo? I want to add a graphics card, and eventually add more memory and get a better processor, but for now i just need something that boots and will let me get my work done.
>>
forgot the link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GCcrPs
>>
>>59187486
>Photoshop/Ilustrator
Hooboy, I can't really recommend a dual-core chip for running those programs, it's going to be sluggish as fuck, but I guess it also depends on the complexity of the work you'll be doing.
If this is for work, nothing is going to be as infuriating as waiting for shit to happen. an SSD is a good move, but you'd probably want more storage if content creation is your focus, unless you have that taken care of externally.

I suggest scraping together a bit more cash and getting a better CPU, it'll be your biggest bottleneck by far.
>>
>>59187650
i hear conflicting things about PS's core usage, most folks think high clock speed is the most important thing here, and seeing as i'm using a system with an Atom that puts out about 1.3 ghz, this would be a huge step up no matter what.

as for storage i'm covered with my cloud accounts from work and my personal accounts and external drives
>>
File: 61br2ESG0KL._SL1024_.jpg (124KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
61br2ESG0KL._SL1024_.jpg
124KB, 1024x768px
this is the other mobo i'm looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Z170-A-ATX-DDR4-Motherboards/dp/B012NH05UW/ref=pd_lpo_147_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DH4ZXKSMMHBP11C6YVGB
>>
>>59187787
So here is how Adobe's garbage software works (literally all of it except AE):
The core program is mainly single-threaded, with generally good frequency scaling, however many actions from within the program are highly threaded.

In other words, as soon as you want to perform an adjustment, run a filter, do layer blends, or other compositing effects, you can expect anywhere from 30~100% improvement in performance by going to four cores.
>>
>>59188113
And there is of course the whole deal with multi-tasking, you can benchmark a program all you want, but in reality you might end up having Bridge, Photoshop, Illustator and InDesign open at once, and these shits love to take up RAM and CPU cycles for themselves:
>>
>>59188113
right that's what i've read, i'm not really doing a whole hell of alot of that sort of thing, the Atom 1.3 has been usable for what i do, but obviously slow AF. I'm no power user and the majority of what i need (resizing, quick asset modification, mock ups, etc.) are all small-ish files. My logic is that the CPU is so damn cheap that I can use it for now and sell it off for more than half of what I paid for it at the end of the year when it's time to get a real CPU (prolly i5 6400 or 6500)
>>
>>59188158

I'm used to my ancient computer and my garbage tablet so i just don't multi task, lmao
>>
burmp
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.