[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows -10-creators-update-to-i

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 14

File: Windows-Update-Creators-Update.png (47KB, 721x531px) Image search: [Google]
Windows-Update-Creators-Update.png
47KB, 721x531px
https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-10-creators-update-to-improve-the-update-process-offer-more-user-control

>Windows will ask you nicely if you want to update;
>If not, it will ask you on what hour and day it can do so;
>If you want to postpone, it won't bother you for 3 days;
>Updates will be delta from now on, so they will be small. Also, won't affect performance while downloading;
>New updates will also require far fewer reboots from now on;

So much for the "windows will restart to update whenever the fuck it wants and do whatever the fuck it wants on your pc" meme some people on /g/ have been parroting
>>
>>59186193
But you still can't turn them off :^)
>>
>>59186238
We all know how well that went in the XP era.
>>
>As the company now considers its latest operating system a “service,”
What Did They mean By This.

>free updates for the supported lifetime of their devices
>lifetime
What Did They mean By This.

>>59186244
What do you mean?
>>
>>59186244
Yeah it was a great time when you had control over your OS
>>
File: file.png (698KB, 1035x580px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
698KB, 1035x580px
lel
>>
Reminder that a company usually charges monthly amounts for a "service"
>>
it only took 2 years to fix their UX experience, let's give em a fucking medal
>>
>>59186284
>What do you mean?
One of the reasons microsoft is pushing so hard for almost totally unavoidable updates is because you had a ton of people being infected by malware at that time because they decided to disable updates, so they had years old gaping exploits hackers took advantage of, on a ton of PC's.
Another example of going overboard later on is why Vista's UAC asked permission for every fucking thing.

So yeah, microsoft is sleazy, and a ton of this is bullshit, but they also have good reasons to be so insistent about it.
>>
>>59186417
This is bullshit. MS never cared about their users security before. The rel reason is that the user has to put up with whatever they change in the next update.
Also if they would care about their reputation, they would
- implement an off switch
- not deliver broken/unstable updates
>>
I always remember this guy whenever windows 10 updates are mentioned https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBGwisx7y8E

>>59186417
Idiots will click every bait you throw at them, never stopping at turning off whatever safety you implement or even shelling out $200 for the pro upgrade so that they could run that awesome internet password cracker if you lock the home version to store only, and no amount of updates or anything less than straightjacket is going to make them stop.
People who actually know what are they doing have run windows without a single update in years and never had any problems.
So the issue isn't really the security of the OS, it's the userbase. I just hope all the casuals fuck off to mobile platforms soon and leave desktop to competent people #MakeWindowsGreatAgain
>>
>>59186718
It never was great, it was just bearable
>>
File: 1478127534732.jpg (159KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1478127534732.jpg
159KB, 1280x720px
>>59186193
>Yeah guys we swear updating in Windows 10 is fixed now
>we swear :^)
you Windows users are worse then AMD fanbois who are waiting for the second
coming of the Athlon days
>>
>>59186193
>We fixed it
>Except
>Except we didn't
>:^)
>>
>>59186469

You dont get it. Again, this was itroduced because too many people would disable autoupdating for whatever reason, then gets their OS broken and complain about how MS is shit because they release OS with security holes and bugs, when said problems were long time solved already.

MS was receiving bad reputation and decided to solve this the hard way. Because you CANT deliver flawless OS from the start that will never, EVER need updates.

When I was like 11 years old or something (I cant recall) and got my very own computer for the first time, I disabled updates back then, because I felt like a "pro" and "controling my PC".

After it went hilariously to shit few times (I was a kid after all, not really knowing anything about proper PC handling), I humbly turned updates back, started using AV to scan every downloaded file, started to educate other kids at school (and fixed their PCs few times later) and avoided tweaking things I didnt understand (yet).

Now imagine thousands of people like that 11 years old kid. But this time they are adult and their voice and opinion makes your company suffer.

Thank them for what is happening around now.
>>
>>59188801
>this was itroduced because too many people
That's not Microsoft's problem. That's people's problem. I'd take the freedom of control over the (forced) increased security any day of the week.

>you CANT deliver flawless OS from the start that will never, EVER need updates.
He never said that. He said MS needs to stop pushing BROKEN updates. Because it IS possible to push updates that don't fuck things up. And when so many of MS's updates break things, can you blame us for wanting to avoid them?

>[anecdote]
Congratulations, you were an idiot. Now you're not. Again, it's not MS's problem if PEOPLE decide to exercise their freedom to turn off updates. Sure, this results in people's stuff breaking and then blaming MS for their own idiocy, but the fix isn't to take that freedom away. The fix is to add warning messages. Warning! Turning off updates may lead to system instability! Proceed?

>Thank them for what is happening around now.
Thank you, idiots of the world! Thank you for taking away my ability to control updates! Thank you for making life much harder for people who know what they're doing, for people who can't afford random restarts!
>>
File: I win.png (329KB, 447x445px) Image search: [Google]
I win.png
329KB, 447x445px
>>59188801
>repeating the same disproved argument but now with some irrelevant personal experience
Sorry fampai, but I win
>>
>>59189125
No, you didn't. He's right.
>>
File: hmmmm.png (7KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmm.png
7KB, 112x112px
>>59189215
How so?
>>
>>59189056

I cant really recall too many truly broken updates, except for one enabling secure boot on Win 7 machines and thus blocking OS from starting (since 7 does not support that).

>The fix is to add warning messages

Which will be ignored, because people dont read messages, they just click "continue" (and complain about adware and similar shit, because they just clicked continue during installation of that video converter who asked them if its okay to also install 10 toolbars for browser). AND they will still complain.

MS went hard way, because large portion of people expected them to (the sole fact that so large part of population actually expect somebody to take control of their lives is a start to much larger discussion).

Funny enough, everyone except Home users actually CAN disable Windows Update completely, via Group Policy. The option is still there, but this time hidden from most users sight. And hiding updates require separate tool now.

Sure it is more problematic than it should be. But again - its because of people's tendency to fuck up their OS.

Now imagine if they would run Linux distros and fuck things around. Some sort of preview was present on /v/ when Steam released Linux client. Shit was hilarious (people screwing up GUI and having to google how to login and operate from text mode was one of smaller problems).
>>
File: 1485944298001.png (947KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1485944298001.png
947KB, 720x720px
>>59189260
>being an MS apologist and completely ignoring my reasoning about MS obviously not caring
>>
>>59189302

Im just explaining why they are doing this and where is the reasoning within this madness.

Problem is that they cant really make OS for small percent of knowledgeable users. They have to make OS for large population and as much idiot-proof as possible. Luckily, nearly all options are still there, but hidden deeper and deeper.
>>
>>59189375
So you don't think that they are doing the forced updates so they can take away more and more control from the user?
>>
>>59186238

You can turn off all feature updates. All you have to do is go in after the next update and say that it made your system unusable. You will be able to rollback to the system restore point it took before it updated.

Did that for Anniv update and it still hasn't been forced on me.

You do still get security updates though.
>>
>>59189421
Any why can't I just select which updates i want in the first place? Why does this OS treat me as a child?
Why is this not even possible on enterprise version, which is definitely not targeted to inexperienced people?
Why do you assume that everyone uses system restore?

Why do I have to let MS give full control about what lands on my computer?
>>
>>59189235
Are you retarded?
>>
File: 1476654025394.jpg (338KB, 1369x1183px) Image search: [Google]
1476654025394.jpg
338KB, 1369x1183px
>>59189481
No. Are you?
>>
>>59186238

good.

Most people are retarded and need to be saved from themselves.
>>
>>59189516
Why did you get a new IP
>>
>>59186193
>completely fuck it up and upset pretty much everyone to such a point where even the gamers are forgoing your dx12 and other horsecrap in favor of windows 7
>"but our normal updates is a feature, you should be glad for it goym"

lol, if only leenux provided a good alternative I wouldnt need to switch, but there never ever will be.
>>
>>59186469
>- not deliver broken/unstable updates

Years of experience "repairing" WIndows systems. The problems are almost never updates themselves, but rather drivers.
For example, tons of people complaining their Youtube videos were slow af, couldn't play games but then it turned out they wouldn't even had their graphics card drivers installed and were using the generic driver. Only few years back Microsoft started placing drivers through Windows Update and that solved so many issues you have no idea. Many such cases!
>>
>>59189534
We were explicitly talking about broken updates though. Your experience is irrelevant here.
>>
>>59188801

No, its because updates would break things that were previously working. Its extremely well documented.

So instead of having the option to test an update before you commit to it they said fuck it, you are getting it no matter what. Its fucking stupid.
>>
>>59189411

They are taking more control from users that dont know how to dig deeper. Again, option is still there, but somebody who is not familiar enough to saftely handle his OS, will have less chance to screw it up.

In case you would wonder about configuring updates, this time in 10 you do it by gpedit.msc and Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Configure automatic updates. Recommended setting is 2 - "notify for download and notify for install".

Disabling goes by registry this time and by adding REG_DWORD value of 5 to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsStore\WindowsUpdate

MS dont take control from users because they are evil corporation that summons demons in the basement and plot everyday how to kill freedom fighters of free software, while drinking blood of innocent victims of the system.
>>
>>59189593
We already know that. but there is no way to SELECT which updates you want. Yes, even on enterprise. Why's that?
>>
>>59189552
You mentioned broken updates out of your ass, you probably can't name a single one.
>>
>>59189615

It was moved away to separate downloadable tool (wushowhide.diagcab)

No idea why its like that. I dont work for MS.
>>
>>59186193
>So much for the "windows will restart to update whenever the fuck it wants and do whatever the fuck it wants on your pc" meme some people on /g/ have been parroting- 35 posts and 6 image replies shown.
Wow, it's almost as if consumer backlash can force a company to change its mind. Remember how Xbone was going to have always-online DRM? And people threw such a shitfit that Microsoft had to backtrack?
>>
>>59189615
I'm not sure but I don't think Ubuntu doesn't have the select option to completely disable updates but I'll have to check later.
>>
>>59189643
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/81659/microsoft-delivers-yet-another-broken-windows-10-update
https://arstechnica.com/business/2016/12/microsoft-windows-10-dhcp-broken-update/
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/aug/11/windows-10-broken-update-endless-reboot-loop

>>59189654
>I dont work for MS.
Why do you defend their marketing position, though?
>>
>>59189666
VÁ DE RETRO
>>
>>59189667
You can disable updates on ubuntu without problems.
>>
>>59189474

> Any why can't I select which updates I want in the first place?
Because they want to take the agency out of updates to provide what they think is a better experience.

>Why does this OS treat me as a child?
Because they want to take the agency out of updates to provide what they think is a better experience.

>Why is this not even possible on enterprise version, which is defintely not targeted to inexperienced people

>Why do you assume that everyone uses system restore?
I don't. The OS does it automatically when updating just in case something goes horribly wrong. You'll always have one for the last update. This restore does get automatically deleted, I believe. So you have to act fast if you're looking to rollback.

>Why do I have to let MS give full control about what lands on my computer?
>>
>updates will be delta from now on
kek, and so ends the cumulative update experiment
>>
File: 1474491875607.jpg (22KB, 218x242px) Image search: [Google]
1474491875607.jpg
22KB, 218x242px
>>59189690
Are you broken, shill?
>>
>>59189671

Im explaining their reasons behind that behaviour. The less misunderstanding, the better. The more you know, the better you will turn out in future discussions, dont you think?
>>
>>59189707
Are you mentally retarded, shit stain?
>>
>Microsoft wants to turn Windows into Arch Linux
>forgets Arch is used by a small group of enthusiasts/autists willing to fix broken shit, while Windows is mainly used by normies who use Office
>>
>>59189718
Do you really believe that you can change my beliefs? I'm just toying with you here so that you can't shill innocent others
>>59189727
No, are you?
>>
>>59189707

Nah, really all the questions had the same answer (because they were all secretly the same question).

I'm the one who said that you can rollback so that you don't get another feature update. If that qualifies as a shill then I guess I don't really understand what a shill is.
>>
>>59186193

Wow, that must have been an entire drop of water in a thirty two gallon bucket. Nice job, MicroSlut.
>>
>>59189775
I know who you are
We already had a discussion yesterday, you probably know who I am as well
>>
>>59186193
>If not, it will ask you on what hour and day it can do so;
will never be an option?
>>
>>59189728

They don't want to turn it into Arch, they just want to be able to force their shit onto everyone. Skype is losing marketshare because it's trash? Too bad, now everyone has Skype forced onto their computer!
>>
>>59186193
Update settings were already there in W10, most retards just don't seem to know Group Policy exists or they're poor sods with some shitty Home edition designed for normalfags who could hurt themselves by operating their own computer.
>>
File: reeeeeeeeee.png (322KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
reeeeeeeeee.png
322KB, 900x900px
>>59186193
>we've got an update for you
>windows is a service
>we need your help installing this one
>>
>>59189810
nice meme
>>
File: IMG_1759.jpg (149KB, 600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1759.jpg
149KB, 600x1066px
>>59189643
Not the guy but I have a good friend that is an IT at a fucking airport company and almost on a daily basis he complains that each and every single w10 update breaks something, from simple shit as printers not working to Microsoft Office not running anymore.

They can't even maintain their own software compatibility or function, you're clearly being paid to some degree by m$. That or you're just an idiot.
>>
>>59189791

You probably don't. I was away yesterday.

Sorry that you think you're always responding to the same person. It's kind of sad
>>
File: 1469397965599.png (11KB, 260x447px) Image search: [Google]
1469397965599.png
11KB, 260x447px
>>59186193
>my god they minimally improved one little aspect of their shitfilled os

>>59189795
yes but only if you leave the internet
>>
File: 1474198533573.png (132KB, 346x364px) Image search: [Google]
1474198533573.png
132KB, 346x364px
>>59189838
Well, you shills ARE pretty generic
Were you here the day before? That was me too
You know, the guy who made the original "win10 is botnet" picture
>>
maybe quit updating to less choices and shitware so people don't turn off updates MS
>>
>>59189861

Well it's hard not to have the exact same rebuttals when you don't have any new criticisms
>>
>>59189752

I believed you might want to correct your informations, sorry if I was wrong and you prefer to stay that way.

>shill

Oh boy. /g/ is really like /v/. They like to call like that anybody who says something positive about games.
>>
File: worried frog.png (17KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
worried frog.png
17KB, 600x600px
>>59189945
>>59189935
>>
>>59189945
>>59189935
Which one of you is Vietnamese?
What's it like to shill innocent people? Do you have no moral problems with that? You're literally making the world a shittier place by helping MS.
>>
>>59189831

>knowledge about configuring and using your OS is now a meme

How you guys handle your Linux distros, if you cant configure simple Windows?
>>
>>59189978
But anon, Ubuntu lets you configure updates with a simple program. No need for any group policies or registry edits.
>>
>>59186244
The only people who had problems with viruses on Win XP were colossal idiots. Unfortunately, the majority of the planet is fucking retarded.

Why can't Microsoft release a seperate version of Windows for people who aren't mentally challenged, with all the spyshit and forced-babysitting assware turned off?
>>
>>59189977

Im Polish if you want to know.

I dont know, how does it feel to keep in false info and refusing to move forward? Or act paranoid and call people not shitting on Windows and MS "shills"?
>>
>>59190005
They can. It's called Windows 7.
>>
>>59190014
Are you working overtime?

Hindering people from configuring THEIR computer is "progress"?

Am I acting paranoid because I am saying that Ms can install anything through windows update? That's a fact.
>>
>>59190014
Have you worked for intel PIE before?
>>
>>59186193
Windows updates cost people money considering that comcast has bandwidth caps now. All updates or patches to anything are now subject to this.
>>
>>59190038

Such accusations are kinda silly. We are not having some ideology war here, despite how you feel about it.

And yes, you are since I told you about how to prevent that. "anything" is a bit unfitting here, too.

Sorry that I cant continue but its 1:30 am here and work calls tomorrow. Not at MS, dont worry. But maybe I could apply for tech support or something? :)
>>
>>59190084

Nope, sorry.
>>
>>59186193
If I still can't shut updates down completely without annoying pop-ups, MS can go fuck itself.
>>
>>59190153
>he is using win10
>>
>>59190125
>i really need to find a way out of this discussion, as i'm getting my ass handed to me and i can't admit to it
>better start talking about a fictional job
>>
File: 1407979520651.gif (392KB, 294x233px) Image search: [Google]
1407979520651.gif
392KB, 294x233px
>>59188801
I can't tell if you're a retard or low level bait
>>
>>59191025
Pajeets are really that stupid
I'm only discussing withthem to see even more of their stupidity and BTFO them every time with zero effort
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.