[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Phone security is starting to really creep me the fuck out.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: phone.jpg (30KB, 600x245px) Image search: [Google]
phone.jpg
30KB, 600x245px
Phone security is starting to really creep me the fuck out.

Thinking about making a custom ROM that will let me disable GPS, cellular radio, and other devices at the driver level with nice toggle switches.

What are some other potential security risks that I can grant more control over?

Also, is it even possible to completely disable the radio hardware through software, or will it still communicate with cell towers regardless? If there's some low-level firmware that keeps radio hardware running regardless of what the OS does, cell towers could still track me and shit.
>>
>>59178776
The real threat is car security.
>>
You can just put it in airplane mode and it won't connect.
>>
>>59178794
Probably, but I'm paranoid. I'd like the peace of mind of knowing that it is, for certain, completely and totally disabled.
>>
>>59178776
It still communicates regardless.

You have to build the phone from the ground-up to ensure there's no blackbox radios or electronics that could be backdoored/tracked.

IIRC there was a phone designed like this already. I think it was going for $2000 a pop or something like that.
>>
>>59178820
Then get an IMSI catcher and test your phone's airplane mode.
>>
>>59178776
Use a faraday cage type phone case
>>
>>59178776
USB debugging and file transfer.
>>
>>59178788
I use a bike so I'm not worried

>>59178852
Why is it so hard to get a product that isn't working actively against you for a reasonable price? Which phone is that?

>>59178873
Do these really work? They sound like a meme.
>>
>>59178883
I had file transfer in mind but I totally overlooked debug, thanks
>>
>>59178776
>Being this paranoid
Just don't have a shit old phone, use your data all times, adblock and common sense.

No matter what, you will always get spied on, rms was right on the phone botnet so you should google why rms doesn't have a phone, OP.
>>
>>59178776

Doesn't matter what you change, your phone is compromised by closed source RIL software that runs on the same CPU in the same memory with all privileges. This software can be modified by anyone smart enough to emulate a base station and without you possibly knowing.
>>
>>59178916
>>Do these really work? They sound like a meme.
Yes. It's the same physics as why the window on your microwave has that metal film with a bunch of tiny little holes in it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.