[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is left (symmetric) so widely used? even some low level

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: shit.jpg (138KB, 800x589px) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
138KB, 800x589px
Why is left (symmetric) so widely used?

even some low level fag in charge of the xboxone architecture said that they got a massive performance boost ever since they went asymmetric and decided to allocate one core to the OS and the rest of the cores (7 or 8 cant remember) to whatever user gaymen stuff is running at the moment.

so explain to me why dont operating system schedulers do this already? what are the downsides?
>>
>>59172669
Most IO devices generate MSI-X interrupts, which any arbitrary available core can handle, as well as being able to do DMA (and thus avoiding relying on a CPU all together in order to transfer data to buffers in memory). It makes much more sense to try to avoid shuffling data across CPU cores (due to caches 'n' stuff).
>>
>>59172669
I think it's because most operating systems come from a time there were no multiple cores.
>>
>>59172669

Because the "operating system" isn't one single thing retard. It's a bunch of stuff, like GNU + Linux.
>>
>>59172722

oh,

>Finally, MSI-X, an extension to the MSI model, which is introduced in PCI 3 .0, adds support
for 32-bit messages (instead of 16-bit), a maximum of 2048 different messages (instead of just
32), and more importantly, the ability to use a different address (which can be dynamically de-
termined) for each of the MSI payloads . Using a different address allows the MSI payload to be
written to a different physical address range that belongs to a different processor, or a different
set of target processors, effectively enabling nonuniform memory access (NUMA)-aware inter-
rupt delivery by sending the interrupt to the processor that initiated the related device request .
This improves latency and scalability by monitoring both load and closest NUMA node during
interrupt completion

well I guess that makes sense somewhat.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.