[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why hasn't AMD released a mobile gpu based on Polaris? They

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: polaris.jpg (124KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
polaris.jpg
124KB, 2000x1125px
Why hasn't AMD released a mobile gpu based on Polaris? They even teased it in their presentation last year.
Power consumption has lowered a lot they could easily made a RX 470m or some shit like that and have some "cheap" gaming laptops
>>
They did make exactly that, Apple is buying them all.
>>
>>59167153
Several devices already use it, for example the MacBook pro, and i think a couple of HP machines.

Unfortunately Nvidia employ the exact same jew tactics in the GPU space that Intel did in the CPU
>>
The AMD laptops don't sell so manufacturers aren't willing to buy it.
>>
>>59167195
The GPUs in Macbooks are shit though
>>
>>59167217
They are not Polaris based though they use some old shitty arquitecture
>>59167254
So AMD buried themselves in the mobile market by focusing on those shitty APU's?
>>
>>59167345
There have never been any good AMD laptops its a long line of garbage and people just noticed. Even when they make huge pushes the laptops fucking flop because the consumers know AMD is the shitty one and Intel is the good one.
>>
Zen-based APUs look really promising (obviously never trust a tech promise until it's out) but to be honest o think Intel swooped up the laptop market with Thunderbolt 3, Optane and their power/heat savings from Kaby Lake (which they'll continue to focus on for coffee lake)
This generation of low-wattage laptops (not the quad cores) can ALL be passively cooled, that's a huge deal when every 2nd laptop gets the "ohh its warm to the touch it must be garbage" treatment
A Zen-tier CPU with Polaris-tier graphics would be amazing in a laptop, but I just don't think they can do it without leaving the thin/light division for better cooling
And of course Thunderbolt 3 is pretty fucking sweet
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.