[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Matlab Appreciation thread. What is the best programming language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: MATLAB-Logo[1].png (62KB, 587x222px) Image search: [Google]
MATLAB-Logo[1].png
62KB, 587x222px
Matlab Appreciation thread.

What is the best programming language and why is it Matlab?
>>
>>59166603
Because Wolfram
>>
>>59166603

Currently trying to simulate quantum dynamics for a dual trapped ion system using this.

Apparently having 16 seperate function files for 16 huge differential equations causes R2017a to shit the bed, and crash.

Pls kill me.
>>
I hate it actually
>>
>>59166654
odd, the only bug I ever encountered in matlab was running out of RAM, switching to swap and being unable to fucking ^C
>>
>simple to write
>effortless parellelization
>native tex supports
>a toolbox for every need
>just werks

Seriously, it's the perfect language
>>
>>59166603
>What is the best programming language and why is it Matlab?

Because it was made to be useful for real engineers, not to pander autistic programmers.
>>
>>59166654
>R2017a

Isn't R2016b the last stable version?
>>
Currently doing fft for ADC ENOB calcs. Fun stuff... I guess.
>>
I use R more often but MATLAB is cool
>>
Because is the only language I know and we use it a shit ton in aerospace
>>
>>59167035
R2016a, my mistake
>>
>plot in each iteration for mad animation fun
>>
>>59167478

>geFrame()
>shitty screen buffer capture
>extremely slow
>shitty res
>captures anything overlaying the window

This features implementation is complete shit desu.
>>
>>59166620
Is Mathematica any good though ?
>>
>>59169384
I used to think it does miracles with analytical math.
Turns out it's pretty much shit.
You can't give it a random equation and say "solve it". Only some polynomials and specific DEs. At least afaik.
>>
>>59166654
matlab is complete shit for any code that has to run a long time. it will either run out of memory and slow down to a crawl, or it will just freeze and crash.

there's no reason to use matlab over python, which i'd argue is even easier to use.
>>
>>59169454
parallelisation is shit though in Python.

If only there were nice notebooks in Haskell.
>>
>>59169454
>there's no reason to use matlab over python
wrong

>python is easier to use
lol

python is a meme language filled with wrongly implemented algorithms, broken toolboxes and neckbeard code
You have to import some random guys' library every 10 minutes and wish it actrually works as intended.
>>
>>59169535
python is easier to use, though. i dislike the forced whitespace formatting, but fact is that you'd format that way regardless unless you like your code to look like shit. the syntax is easier to use, and as for libraries, you'll have to use them in any language. matlab has them built in, but they come at a cost.
>>
>>59166603
I tried doing neural net stuff in net and went back to matlab after doing some simulations in it. im sold boi
>>
>>59171125
>tfw TensorFlow has no Matlab binding.

>I know Java but it sucks for neural nets (too low level)
>tfw I might eventually have to learn this meme language
>>
what is matlab good for that R doesn't do?
>>
>>59171267
Simulink
>>
>>59166654
Fermions?
>>
>>59166654

Why not create a class?

classdef MyClass
methods
% This is your constructor function
function obj=MyClass(var1, var2)
obj.Method_One();
obj.Method_Two(method_two_var)
end;

function Method_One(obj)
% This is the first function;
end;

function Method_Two(obj, mvar)
% second function;
end;
end
>>
>>59171632

Just to expand, this will solve the 6 different function files issue, not the freezing. For the freezing problem, the computer your using is either too weak, or the code is poorly written. Try using the commands "tic" and "toc" (look them up) to benchmark. Also, if you write up code in MATLAB itself, it has an option to analyze the code and tell you what to do to improve performance.
>>
File: Drbilly.jpg (23KB, 180x225px) Image search: [Google]
Drbilly.jpg
23KB, 180x225px
>>59166603
>>
>>59171498
Just any old ions. The point is to simulate phonon lasing by vibrating ions in an electrostatic trap with lasers.
>>
>>59171826
quick question: how many ions can you simulate this way?

Few years ago I wanted to simulate low-temperature high-pressure plasma, but I couldn't find jack shit about it. Granded I'm not a physicist, I'm a geoscientist, but any advice is appreciated.
>>
>>59172551
>geoscientist

Not the anon you're replying to, but are you the geoscientist whos school uses debian?
>>
>>59172594
I'm not the same guy, but part of our library computers (25%) is running ubuntu, only out of necessity though (they're old as dirt and can't run win7 or better)
>>
>>59172551
In theory as many as you like. Although, the complexity of the system scales rapidly.

For a single ion, I had 4 differential equations for the system, for two, I had 16. Each of those was derived analytically as well, from a Lindblad master equation.
>>
>>59173035
So it's like O(4^n)?
That's pretty disheartening.
>>
>>59166603
>nonfree

fuck off
>>
>>59174058
I think it should be n^4, no?
>>
>>59166654
What is your job/program?
>>
>>59174092
Semantics.
>>
>>59174081
Octave just don't cut it
>>
>>59174124
Not really, 4^n will grow faster than n^4
>>
>>59174136
sure it doesn't. just like how python doesn't either or literally any other proper language which actually has bindings support for projects that actually matter unlike your nonfree, expensive shitware that is only relevant for it's shitty standard lib features.
>>
God bless matlab for convolutional neural network and generative adversarial networks and just learning in general. good luck trying to write them without matlab oh and nvidia CUDA computing makes it fuckloads faster.
>>
File: denny.jpg (69KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
denny.jpg
69KB, 720x960px
fuck off matlab normies. Let's see you do it in C
>>
>>59174173
Define faster
>>
>>59174188
Uhm I don't think you appreciate what matlab actually does
>>
>>59174293
as the limit of the input size goes to infinity, the derivative is larger
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.