[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are unsalted AES encrypted data less or more secure than a salted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Newcoke_maxheadroom.jpg (40KB, 302x450px) Image search: [Google]
Newcoke_maxheadroom.jpg
40KB, 302x450px
Are unsalted AES encrypted data less or more secure than a salted counterpart for the purpose of simply protecting against being read?

I understand why CBC is used instead of ECB, but the "vector" of an attacker sending the same encrypted message to sort of pose as someone else is not a factor here. This data is decrypted from storage by a client, then sent over SSL/TLS to a service.
>>
you read too much wikipedia son
>>
>>59164559
Who knows! Max does:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt56RMbpq_0
>>
>>59164559
Can someone give me a quick rundown on who Max Headroom was and how did he take over the transmission frequency?
>>
>>59164559
By salted,do you mean the random data that's hashed together with a password to get a key?
A salt is known data,so I don't think it provides any extra protection for modes other than ecb.
>>
>>59164559
I might've read your shit wrong, but....
Last I checked, the very purpose of salting passwords (by which I think you're referring to AES keys) is to prevent the insecurities the associated with identical passwords.
>>
>>59165237
George Soros bows to Max Headroom
>>
>>59165288
Encrypted, not hashed. Otherwise, yeah, you get the concept.

>>59165423
Yep, that's the purpose of salting hashes. The reason why you hash passwords instead of encrypting them is that when a system is compromised, you can presume that the encryption key for those passwords would be compromised too. That's why you hash instead; making it prohibitively expensive to crack every password.
>>
>>59164559
You don't salt encrypted data. The fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>59165986
You might, to prevent the kind of attack that I described, which CBC exists to prevent.
>>
Well, I guess I misspoke, but if you understand the purpose of CBC you get what I mean. Salted data that is encrypted with AES, rather than encrypted data being salted.
>>
>>59164559
CBC is fine as long as you have good quality entropy in your initialization vector. How is a salt going to have any effect on the outcome of the AES cipher?
>>
>>59167000
It might prevent an attacker from sending the same message twice claiming to be someone else, depending on the salt.

What I'm worried about is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_cipher_mode_of_operation#Electronic_Codebook_.28ECB.29

this. I'm encrypting UTF-8 encoded text.
>>
>>59164559

what the fuck is the p word? pepsi?
>>
>>59168105
Don't say it.
>>
>>59164559

I have no idea what the fuck you're asking
>>
>>59170325
Neither does he. Most of his "question" is just word soup, the rest of it is concepts he doesn't grasp.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.