[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vivaldi advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: vivaldi.jpg (61KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
vivaldi.jpg
61KB, 2560x1440px
Hey /g/uys
I'm having a bit of a debate with myself, and I think I'll need some advice from the bunch of you, unfortunately.
Today, I finally gave in to my curiosity, and downloaded Vivaldi. I was just really eager to find out what this thing is all about, since it seems to be a very controversial subject here. Some of you seem to like it, and some of really hate it.
And now I don't know how I should feel about this. Don't get me wrong, I very much like how this looks and feels, and it's really fun to use. I'm having a good time using this browser. But there are some things that kinda bug me.
First off, it's proprietary, and that goes right agains my values.
Then, it's based on Chromium, and I really don't want to support a mono-engine web. I remember what it was like when that last happened, and I'd like to avoid such a situation in the future.
And then my final concern is privacy. It's proprietary, and based on Chromium, so I think my alarms should be ringing.

One thing too, that I feel I should mention. I've been a long-time Firefox user, so thats my other option, if you think I should stay where I am, rather than jump ship. But even though I love Firefox, I'm still a bit tempted, so now all you shills have a great opportunity to talk me out of those couple worries I have about this thing. I really think I could keep using it, I think it feels pretty nice. At least I'll try it out for a couple more days.

So, what do you think?
>>
if you just want chrom*, without the botnet, download iridium. Its exactly what youre asking for
>>
>>59162130
I don't know if that really is what I'm asking for, though. As I said, I'm against a mono-engine web, and the main attraction Vivaldi has for me is the customization and all the settings. Settings and configurations are my fetish.
I believe Iridium isn't really that kind of a browser, more like just a normal Chromium with some of the spying removed. I could be wrong, though, I've never tried it.
>>
>>59162110
I am sort of in the same camp as you, but I've been using it for a while. I'd hate a mono-engine web but for now it's the best alternative and I have no means to change it myself, what can a dog do?
>>
A mono-engine web will never occur as the web is like a hydra. Don't worry, things changed last time because of this phenomenon.

Vivaldi is a good browser. It will eventually become bloated and a better option will present itself. The same can be said for Chromium.

Enjoy the browser for what it is now, and jump ship to a new meme browser when a better option presents itself.
>>
>>59163049
I guess you're right about that, one little individual can't really make a difference in such a big scene. Thinking about it, my main reason for using Firefox for so long has mostly just been an ethical one, it's not like I've ever thought it would actually count for something.

>>59163075
And I think you're right too, I can't imagine there being a permament state like that either. On the other hand, we did have some rough times during the reign of IE, and I'd rather always have a little diversity in browsers and their engines, to avoid even that dip.

The response has been surprisingly positive so far, and I'll keep trying out the browser for sure. It may be one of my favorite browsers out there currently.
>>
>I really don't want to support a mono-engine web.
If that engine become a standard, it's not really a problem.
Exept Microsoft browsers, Firefox based or obscure independent browsers, almost every browsers nowadays are based on Blink/WebKit/KHTML, which are open source and forkable.
>>
>>59162110
>First off, it's proprietary
But it's not. The source code is literally on their website. I have no idea where this shitty meme came from.
>>
>>59164156
It is? I'm really sorry if I made a mistake and made myself look like a fool. I don't really know about the memes surrounding Vivaldi though, I just refered to wikipedia there, and now taking a quick look at the site, I can't really seem to find it. Maybe I'm just too sleepy for this, I'm just about to go to bed.
But anyway, I'd really like to see this for myself too, so if someone could be so very nice and point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it a lot.
>>
Omg stop bitching and just use it.
>>
>>59165114
Get raped and kill yourself, you dumb fucking shit stain.
>>
>>59164996
https://vivaldi.com/source/
>>
>>59163075
Love the "meme browser" used as a positive
>>
best browser
>>
>>59164156
>source code for not actual version
>it's just chromium source code, it doesn't contain their proprietary JS code
But sure, you can call PS4 OS "open-source".
>>
File: 2017-02-28 12_42_26-Greenshot.png (307KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-28 12_42_26-Greenshot.png
307KB, 1920x1200px
it's p nice
>>
>>59162110
Isn't Vivaldi using Chromium as more of a stop gap until they can develop their own internals?
>>
>>59168955
Has someone here tried that? Does it compile, and if it does, what do you get?
>>
Where do I place css for Vivaldi?
>>
>>59162110
When you click a link or submit a form, sometimes there's no fucking indication it's doing anything. Vivaldi's gotten a lot better for what it is, but it still needs the finishing touches before it's more than something I jump on just for sites Opera 12 can't handle.
>>
>>59174194
>it still needs the finishing touches
They're working on that.
>>
>>59168955
>Has someone here tried that? Does it compile, and if it does, what do you get?
Bump
>>
>>59169399
Source??
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.