[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wire is open source, they claim no ads, no profiling and no data

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: wire.png (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
wire.png
21KB, 300x300px
Wire is open source, they claim no ads, no profiling and no data gathering, and yet they're a for-profit company that employs 50 people. What's their endgame, /g/?
>>
>>59146603

just a swiss botnet startup

>Wire Swiss GmbH receives financial backing from a firm called Iconical.[2] According to an article published by Reuters, Wire Swiss has not disclosed how much funding it has received and has yet to discover a sustainable business model.[2] In March 2016, Wire Executive Chairman Janus Friis told Bloomberg that the company will "never create an advertising-based business model", but "might charge for certain premium services in the future".[1]

>Shortly after its launch, the company retracted a claim from their website that the app's messages and conversation history could only be read by the conversation participants.[
>>
>>59146667
>>Shortly after its launch, the company retracted a claim from their website that the app's messages and conversation history could only be read by the conversation participants.[

total rip
>>
>>59146603
Maybe they want to charge for premium features down the road as they claim. Or maybe they want to be bought out for big money, like Whatsapp.

The most interesting part is that they plan to open source their server code too, which would potentially be a huge disadvantage for them.
>>
>>59146686
Actually, voice calls were always end-to-end encrypted even then. But text messages and shared files were client-server encrypted.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2855745/new-communications-app-wire-tones-down-encryption-claims.html

But right now it appears everything is end-to-end-encrypted:
https://support.wire.com/hc/en-us/articles/203122480-Can-anyone-read-the-messages-I-send-on-Wire-
https://wire.com/en/privacy/

If they really open-source the server code, that would be fucking great.

Not a shill, I just want to believe.
>>
>>59146603
it's shit.

just use Matrix which actually has a future since it's federated.

riot even has end to end private messages and room messages.
>>
>>59148161
metadata leaks and beta-tier
also I think it has no future but that's just my opinion
>>
>>59148184
what metadata leks
>>
>>59146603
>What's their endgame, /g/?
World domination.
>>
I'm using it now, but the lack of read receipts is just sad.
>>
the end game is the same as all these meme multibillion dollar funded start ups.

try and trick morons into dependence on a unsustainable model and then try and jew you hard when you're locked in

same shit Uber is doing right now.
>>
File: makia kisu.png (393KB, 730x916px) Image search: [Google]
makia kisu.png
393KB, 730x916px
If you are not paying for the service, then you are the cattle
>>
>>59148635

oh better tell that to all projects on github/gitlab et al.

Wikipedia? Local libraries? Red hat?

I like to donate a few dollaroos for lads making software on their spare time for me to limit my cloud exposure.
>>
>>59146603
>open sause meme
probably backend is not opensouse
>>
>>59151875

backend == server side? Yes, server should be open sauced in a few months time.

Too late though, I'm gonna run matrix/riot.im server myself.
>>
File: 1478641343476.gif (72KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1478641343476.gif
72KB, 200x200px
>>59148635
>If you are not paying for the service, then you are the cattle
Proper quote is: 'If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold'
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.