[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can AMD compete with Intel when Intel has vastly more resources?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: magician.jpg (2MB, 2732x1829px) Image search: [Google]
magician.jpg
2MB, 2732x1829px
How can AMD compete with Intel when Intel has vastly more resources?
Shouldn't Intel have superior manufacturing AND science behind their product?
Shouldn't Intel's chips have more advanced, better science behind them, for example being printed on a smaller process?
I don't understand how AMD can compete and produce a comparable product when their budget for R&D is inferior.
Is the answer that AMD's R&D department took a different and better approach to creating a computer chip? Did they stumble upon some kind of process or technique that gave them a leg up on Intel, who has had years of superior income to gain a lead?
How?!
>>
>>59141516
Jim Keller
>>
>>59141522
This. Keller is the magician.
>>
>>59141516
>Intel is a bunch of lazy fucks, >semiconductor R&D funding seems to hit diminishing returns
>AMD owns licenses to a bunch of Intel tech
>>
>>59141516
Thanks to a series of spectacular R&D and market-entry failures intel is pretty vulnerable to coughing up some market share. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon but they've squandered a pretty insurmountable lead, partly due to dumb decision making at the top and partly just due to bad luck.
>>
>>59141516
They don't have a leg up, they CAUGHT up. If they're ahead of Intel anywhere it's in multithreaded performance, and that's from spending so much time trying to make Bulldozer work.
>>
>>59141548
>>59141522
I'm reading about him on Wikipedia right now. It says he coauthored the x86 instruction set, so already I can tell this guy is qualified. It also says he returned to AMD to work on the Zen architecture. Says he's working @ Tesla now, so whatever Zen proves to be, I'm guessing AMD won't advance beyond it for a while.

I figured an answer to my question could be that AMD simply had a superior scientist/researcher, looks like that IS the answer. Cool. Very cool.

I had another thought though. There's this effect where if you're running in a race and you see someone's back in front of you, it gives you the extra energy to try and close the gap. So maybe the whole time that Intel was dominating, AMD's R&D department was affected by this phenomenon.

2nd place phenomenon + super duper Jim Keller = AMD being relevant again
>>
>This is the first time in a very long time that we engineers have been given the total freedom to build a processor from scratch and do the best we can do. It is a multi-year project with a really large team. It's like a marathon effort with some sprints in the middle. The team is working very hard, but they can see the finish line. I guarantee that it will deliver a huge improvement in performance and power consumption over the previous generation.

—Suzanne Plummer, Zen team leader, on September 19th, 2015.
>>
>>59141601
jim left with with zen and zen+
let's also not forget how good amd engineers actually are, look at the improvements the continually made when they were left with fucking bulldozer,
>>
How did they fuck up so bad with bulldozer?
>>
>>59143503
Mismanagement, a lot of automated tooling and mistaken product placement, CMT isn't useful for desktop yet.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.