[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why would anyone use a console when a computer gives better performance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 19

File: Screenshot_20161110-080933.jpg (154KB, 536x516px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161110-080933.jpg
154KB, 536x516px
Why would anyone use a console when a computer gives better performance and graphics and you could just plug in a controller?
>>
>>59141469
Why do you buy smoothies from the store when it's much better and cheaper to make them yourself?
>>
>>59141469
Why are current generation consoles more powerful than most gaming PCs out there?
>>
>>59141566
[citation needed][dubious - discuss]
The hardware is pretty rubbish, but modern games run on them anyways because writing for a console lets your write much closer to the metal
>>
File: 1461811570554.jpg (58KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1461811570554.jpg
58KB, 500x500px
>>59141499
>>59141566
B T F O
>>
>>59141469
because niggers, spics and other retards
>>
>>59141499
>>59141566

The point Im trying to make here is that market is... well, it's kinda unpredictable. PCs are clearly better, but most people don't care, including the gaming PC users themselves.

If you think this is bad, then just read this source

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/magazine/why-do-americans-stink-at-math.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

For example, do you know why the hamburger failed despite being better, bigger and cheaper than its rival? Because the buyers thought 1/3 was less than 1/4.
>>
>>>/v/
>>
>>59141589
>lets your write much closer to the metal
We have low level graphics APIs too now :^)
>>
>>59141589
Steam confirmed this.

I'm not saying consoles are better. The PC is clearly superior, but most people do not even bother building them. Which is why companies such as Sony and Microsoft decided to make it more simple by making consoles.
>>
>>59141469
let me know when PC can play Bloodborne :^)
>>
>>59141469
I prefer to own physical media for the games I buy.
>>
>>59141469

If you play online, you can be assured of hardware parity with the opposition.
>>
>>59141469
>buying outdated trash hardware with $60 games and paid online

You need to be a manchild or a retard, mostly.
>>
>>>/v/
Fucking children.
>>
>>59141653
Do tell me how to play DOAX3 on a PC
>Inb4 "S-sexy beach is just as good, who needs the greatest softcore game of all time?"
>>
File: 1486529790695.png (762KB, 640x979px) Image search: [Google]
1486529790695.png
762KB, 640x979px
>>59141469
Because consoles have better exclusives.
>>
>>59141653
Good. Now say this same thing to the PC gamers.

>buying a console and paying $60 a year is such bullshit. Lol, these console players are so retarded! Wow, how can they be so stupid.
>buying a PC which is weaker than consoles and waste hundreds of dollars even on a single silly hat DLC... that's fine. Nothing retarded about that.

Do you honestly don't know the amount of money PC users waste on pathetic cosmetics? Hint: this is why Valve will never release Half Life 3.
>>
>>59141469
Overtime there's actually been less and less advantage of PC gaming in terms of price point and performance.

Let's be honest you're not getting PC Master race performance set of parts on a $300 to $400 budget.

You'd have to shop for the parts probably when they're on sale, and then you only have a conventional desktop PC set-up.

Modern-day consoles like the Xbox and PlayStation are now all in all media devices meant for the living room with large televisions that people use for Netflix and other things as well as casually playing some games.

Are you still technically getting a better deal with PCs. Yes.

You're also getting a better deal only making your own coffee that is bought in bulk and using some ten to Fifteen dollar coffee machine you bought at Walmart. Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts still exist though.

You're getting a better deal going to borderline ghetto stores where the prices are heavily marked down due to the effects of white flight in the neighborhood and you can get extremely cheap beer ( like less than $5 for a six-pack of Guinness) and rice by the 20 pound bag and discount salmon.

People still drink at bars and go to sushi restaurants though.
>>
>>59141469
Let me know when Project Diva comes to the PC.
>>
File: barf.jpg (24KB, 399x388px) Image search: [Google]
barf.jpg
24KB, 399x388px
>>59141566
>>59141499
This is what console-cucks believe,
I know they just want to gaem but do they have to act like absolute dumbasses?
>>
File: 1488163745838.png (98KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1488163745838.png
98KB, 429x410px
>>59141758
What's so dumb about these 2 posts?
>>
>>59141771
First one is making an analogy BTFO'd by:
>>59141605
And the second post just isn't true (hardware-wise for all consoles atm).
I will give credit to the PS4 Pro for its Rx-460/70 like GPU that is sadly bottlenecked by its bad cpu.
>>
>>59141605
>>59141469

People play their games on a PS4 or Xbox One, do their office work/precise web browsing on their laptop and the rest is all done on their smartphone. The barrier of entry is lower and consoles double as set top boxes + DVD/bluray players these days as well.

There's no need for a tower anymore if you don't intend on gaming on it.

Also if you play with a controller online on PC you're gonna get destroyed every match while it's standard input on consoles.
>>
>>59141803
Not OP but I see laptops as simple-task based machines, not actual work-force type.
Your last controller-argument is absolute horseshit, my controller plays the same if not better than my previous PS4.
PC is for those that seek value and performance that will last long and be more open-sourced to most things (games,programs, etc...).
>>
>>59141801
>First one is making an analogy BTFO'd by:
And what's wrong with it?

Building a PC more powerful than the consoles is simple, but most people do not even bother.

>And the second post just isn't true (hardware-wise for all consoles atm).
It was true in 2013/14. Now that the PS4 Pro is out and with the Xbox Scorpio coming out soon, it will be true once again.
>>
>>59141803
>Also if you play with a controller online on PC you're gonna get destroyed every match

Except in games such as Dark Souls. Perhaps sport games as well, but I don't play them.
>>
>>59141833
>Not OP but I see laptops as simple-task based machines, not actual work-force type.

Which is ridiculous, modern laptops pack more than enough power to drive multiple monitors and could handle everything the average person throws at them. Feelings have nothing to do with it.

>my controller plays the same if not better than my previous PS4.

I talking about facing mouse/keyboard users with dual thumbsticks. MK will come out on top every match.
>>
>>59141888
>I talking about facing mouse/keyboard users with dual thumbsticks. MK will come out on top every match.

With first/third person shooters and RTS, I definitely agree.
>>
>>59141704
>consoles don't even have nethack
wtf
>>
There are so many console exclusive games.
>>
Because most devs don’t bother to optimize for pc hardware.
>>
>>59141958
Crytek did.

Most gamers didn't care. And now, the company is close to bankruptcy.
>>
>>59141978
I don't even understand their engine model

How do people "Pay what they want"
>>
>>59141689
>softcore

Pfff, I can just play something by Illusion instead.
>>
>>59141689
>muh handful exclusives
>you need to be a manchild
I already addressed that

>>59141722
Except you are talking about a certain group of retarded PC users. You don't have to waste your money DLCs whereas you have to pay $60 per game unless you have a lot of disposable time and want to hunt 2. hand gaymez. Buying a gimped computer that you do anything other than play gaymez with is simply retarded.
>>
>>59141469
Thank you for all your support. I will now be selling my computer, buying a console and DOAX3. Good Night.
>>
>>59142092
>Except you are talking about a certain group of retarded PC users. You don't have to waste your money DLCs whereas you have to pay $60 per game unless you have a lot of disposable time and want to hunt 2. hand gaymez.

Your logic:
>being forced to pay $60 a year is stupid
>paying (read: being manipulated into paying) hundreds of dollars on a single cosmetic item is not stupid

And I'm not just taking about "a certain group of retarded PC users." The majority of PC gaming revenue comes from cosmetic items. There are also plenty of Mobile Master Race users who waste money on what should be free.
>>
>>59142154

Payed DLCs are stupid and so is anything pay2win.
>>
>>59142170
And unfortunately, they are the present and the future of gaming
>>
File: 74708285[1].jpg (410KB, 670x1024px) Image search: [Google]
74708285[1].jpg
410KB, 670x1024px
>>59141469
>computer gives better performance and graphics

A computer gives better graphics. Performance is another issue.

Consoles are convenient. Consoles are standard. Consoles get out of the way.

Playing a console game
>download game
>download patches
>play

Playing a PC game
>download game
>download patches
>run the game
>first config screen: choose some settings that you think are okay
>watching the opening
>some frame skips
>distracted by frame skips
>gameplay begins
>exit
>go into menu and change settings
>go back into gameplay
>run around, FPS is okay but now graphics don't suit you
>open in-game menu
>tweak settings again
>still not satisfied
>exit game
>go on internet
>look up optimization guides
>read for 1 hour
>go into nvidia or amd control panel
>change settings
>start game back up
>start file
>run around in game world
>maybe some improvement maybe not
>decide some settings are good enough
>start playing the game
>30 minutes later open in-game menu and screw around with the settings again
>never be comfy

later
>playing the game
>small graphical glitch pops up
>annoying
>go online look for a fix
>download it
>it doesn't work on your GPU
>have to read some other tutorials to get it to work
>get it working
>it screws up performance
>tweak everything again
>playing game with afterburner running with FPS counter in the corner
>always distracted from the actual game
>always trying to squeeze a little bit more peformance

>console owning friends come over
>"wow those are really graphics!"
>"oh but it looks like you have a few frame drops there. I just play on console so I don't have to worry about that stuff"
>welllllll i'd better get going, see you again in six months

>want to play games with your friend
>game doesn't support cross-platform play

>go on /g/ instead of playing games because it's too much of a hassle and PC doesn't actually have that many games you'd want to play you haven't already played if you're over the age of 25
>>
>>59141469
Because you need to use the worst OS possible to play most good games.
Until everything is supported by Linux i'll still mostly use consoles
>>
>>59142263

you sound like someone with shitty hardware who torrents and free loads games frequently

you forgot that people on console actually pay for their games and thus expect them to work

same thing happens on Steam where you actually get your money back when it doesnt work lol

stay poor trash can but dont come here and make up shit because you download on piratebay all day and try to get around Denuvo
>>
>>59142263
>frame skips I haven't read anything more retarded
>>
File: 12 KB.jpg (12KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
12 KB.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
>>59142304
>heavy implication that pirated games have non-trivial performance differences from non-pirated

how fucking stupid can you get? and I don't even pirate you ultra-retard
>>
>>59142263
You are... mostly correct. But I still recommend the PC because it's superior. At the beginning it's a real struggle. When you ask for help, other neckbeards either laugh at you or you get something like "Christ, this was asked already, dumbass. Locking thread!" But over time, it becomes natural and simple to use as consoles.

Consoles do have plenty of disadvantages, and you know it.

>>59142266
What's so great about Linux, anon?
>>
>>59142325
Frame skip is just an old fashioned term for frame drop that comes from when games had a specific frame rate they were supposed to run at. I'll allow it.
>>
>>59141469
I always buy last gen consoles, so everything is dirt cheap and just works. Plus, I don't ever have to use windows.
>>
>>59142325
If you're shooting for a particular frame rate then going below that number can accurately be called a frame skip, but really it was just me slipping back into emulator speak
>>
>30fps 720-1080 vs 45-144fps 1440-4k
>better performance

okay
seriously though, /g/ at night of civilized world is terrible
it's so easy to tell when americans wake up
>>
>>59141704
>Better exclusives like Transistor and Civilization and Cities Skylines and Project CARS and infinite indie games
>>
>>59141888
>PC having exclusive access to a superior input system is a downside to PC
>>
File: smalls4build.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
smalls4build.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
You can even build a computer that is the same size as a console.

http://imgur.com/a/2CWNG

But realistically, it's hard to justify the price premium.
>>
>>59142375
>not buying a PC so you could just emulate old consoles.
>>
>>59141469
Because a lot of people love to play WrastleMania 201X or UFC Undisputed 20XX

A lot of people like the convenience of just going to GameStop or Walmart and buying a console. With computers, you have to do research, maintain knowledge of system specs, know when to upgrade, track CPU brands, their pros and cons, etc. At the end of the day, not everyone is an enthusiast, and some people just want to:

1) Go to store, buy console
2) Go home, connect
3) Insert disk or download, play.

You can argue about using a Personal Computer as a game console by connecting it to a TV, but the user has to learn, and some people would simply rather play their games.

t. nongamer who knows people who play games.
>>
>>59141469
can a top of the line computer run yakuza 0 or nioh?
>>
why would your average cod normie buy a PC when they can just spend a few hundred bucks on a PS4 and not have to worry about building it?
>>
>>59141469
To play all the japanese exclusive games. Now fuck off my Japanese cartoon website.
>>
>>59143038
The thing is, with a properly set up computer and something like Steam, it's really no hassle at all.

Then again, I'm talking as someone who is an "enthusiast", but it's really something a 14 year old can pull off with ease. I'm not trying to bolster myself. It really is that simple.
>>
>>59141469
Piracy on a console means modding my system and downloading an ISO from a site which can be checked for CRC consistency. When I run it on my console there is (practically) no risk of my personal data being compromised or stolen. I've never heard of a PlayStation or an Xbox getting a virus.

Piracy on a PC means downloading a cracked game and installing who-knows-what on my computer with my personal data included on it. It's pretty common for malware to spread through PC game piracy.

I'll stick with consoles for this reason.
>>
The undisputed master race setup is to have a gaming PC and a Nintendo console. Pretty much anything worth playing on the PS4 or XBox One is also available for the PC, and probably available on Steam (and thus subject to price drops during Steam sales). The only console with worthwhile exclusives right now is a Nintendo 3DS, and soon, the Nintendo Switch. That said, one buys a Nintendo console only to enjoy first party Nintendo games. For everything else, you use the PC.
>>
>>59142263

Or you could just start playing immediately without changing the default configuration at all. Your little framerate drops? Get a better graphics card, dumbass.
>>
>>59141469
Forget about games for fuck's sake or go to >>>/v/.
>>
>>59143824
That's a good point. That said, you can easily brick a console by rooting it, and you miss out on a lot of features.
>>
>>59141566
True for the seventh gen consoles. Not so much for the eighth gen ones.
>>
I'm not a resolution fag, if I decided to get into modern games (i think they mainly suck) I would probably go console over PC because it's cheaper and you get more bang for your buck. 300 dollars for at least 7 years of support for the hobby, less cheating in multiplayer games

last computer game era I was on top of was Duke 3D era and being able to play that game max res perfectly to not being able to even play Quake just turned me off PC gaming basically forever
>>
>>59141566
And thus the flamewar begins.
>>
consoles work for people who just want quick and lazy entertainment, much like watching TV but, it's interactive. They don't care much about anything else, just want to spend time having fun.
PC gamers look for a bit more depth, wanting to get a bit more immersed in the game, have more things they can control, build their own hardware, and have a lot more free time.
That's why normies and wagecucks are associated with consoles, and NEETs and autists with PCs

TL;DR
>lot of free time=PC
>quick entertainment=Console
>>
>>59145031
PS4 Pro and Scorpio say "Hi!"
>>
>>59141469
Because consoles don't offer a lot of the full Nintendo experiences
>>
>>59141469
because there are console exclusives
because you usually don't need to constantly upgrade consoles
>>
>>59142263
Playing a console game
>watch the opening, same as PC
>want to change basic stuff like FOV
>no choice for it
>the only things you can change on settings are Gamma and Brightness
>can't apply custom shaders like on PC
>want to customize the controls further
>no options, all presets
>frame skips when there are explosions or big pieces graphic effects
>go on internet
>browsing it with a fucking controller
>search for the closest retailer to buy an internet pass since I forgot to buy one recently and can't even use multiplayer without it
>>
I always get a chuckle from this question. To play games of course. Games you can only play on consoles, games designed for consoles, games that wouldn't happen without consoles.

If you actually like video games, you have a PC and multiple consoles. No other way around it, unless your tastes are limited as fuck and you only like couple genres, in which case you're a casual anyway.

If you're the aforementioned casual player, PC is enough because it gets you most options. PC's own games, most multiplats eventually come to PC nowadays and also emulators for second rate console experience.

If you're filthy casual normie, you just get whatever's the cheapest option to play FIFA or CoD.
>>
It's like this:

-Exclusive titles
-The price for the hardware is lower. Whether it can get more expensive in the long run or not is a different matter.
-More of a comfortable experience, no need to tweak settings or watch for temperatures. You spend more time playing games and less using them as benchmarks.
-No need to use Windows.
>>
The only reason to not build a PC is either poorness or ignorance.
>>
>>59141469
Because I don't want to use microsoft products.
Because I have a laptop and buying a console is cheaper than building a new pc.
>>
>>59142351
>What's so great about Linux, anon?

Everything.
>>
>>59145918
Sonycucks are no better
>>
>>59141605
That was a really, really good read. Thanks for sharing it.
>>
>>59145708
This.
>>
>>59141469
It's nice playing my DS/PSP/3DS/Vita/Switch (once released anyway) on the go. I can't really get that sort of deal with a PC.
>Just get a laptop!
While I do use emulators on my laptop, it's not the same thing.
>>
>>59141758
I'm pretty sure the smoothie analogy applies is in agreement to the op.

Smoothies you make yourself = PC you built yourself
Smoothie from the store = console you buy from the store or pre-built PC

Unless this guy is retarded and genuinely thinks that analogy makes sense in favor of consoles
>>
>>59143234
You have to remember that normal people are fucking stupid and fucking lazy. If it isn't something they can do in less than 5 minutes then they won't do it. Simple as that. If it's something that uses words that aren't in their vocabulary then they won't bother to look into anything. If they don't already know it (typically these people don't know much in the first place) then they don't see the point in learning.
>>
>>59141589
>writing for a console lets your write much closer to the metal
This isn't even a thing anymore. The current generation of consoles are little more than AMD x86-64 APUs with a few customizations. Console optimization is dead.
>>
>>59142263
Sounds like the problem is that you're an autistic little nerd that can't help but screw with every little setting, tweak and patch before you start playing.
>>
>>59141469
>>>/v/
>>
File: 1485833710739.jpg (41KB, 580x390px) Image search: [Google]
1485833710739.jpg
41KB, 580x390px
>>59141730

Underrated post.

People tend to ignore that a PC is an expensive initial investment. Its hard for the average gamer to go out right now and buy a PC that is of similar size, power and price to an xbox/ps. It also takes skill/research to assemble hardware and configure the OS where as consoles work right out of the box and have UI designed for the average person to navigate easily.

To each their own.
>>
>>59148426
You can get a PC for around the same price as a brand new console, especially using used parts.
It also ends up being a lot fucking cheaper over time. Cheaper games, torrenting, and you don't have to pay for online.

It doesn't take any fucking skill anon. A 11 year old little black kid put one together. A lot of kids nowadays are becoming more interested in PC gaming. So you're telling me a fucking 20 year old shit stain can't put one together? And if you're that lazy you can get a used Dell and throw in a GPU.

Windows 10 (Not the best OS but it's the main gaming OS) installs all the drivers out of the box. Besides maybe GPU drivers but it takes two seconds to get them from the site.
>>
>>59148583
It's not that they're unable to, they just don't want to. See >>59148317
>>
>>59145308
>PS4 Pro
>an underclocked RX 480 paired with an AMD CPU

Woah... so this... is the power... of consoles...!
>>
>>59148621
True. Fuck people are so fucking lazy, they rather deal with shit then dedicate a small amount of time to have a better experiance.
>>
>>59148626
EXACTLY.
>>
File: 1485874191223.png (238KB, 1135x784px) Image search: [Google]
1485874191223.png
238KB, 1135x784px
>>59148583
>You can get a PC for around the same price as a brand new console, especially using used parts.
Read >Its hard for the average gamer to go out right now and buy a PC that is of similar size, power and price to an xbox/ps.
Feel free to prove me wrong. Build a system online that is just as powerful, is the same size and price and takes about the same time to order as it does for me to navigate to Amazon and click buy as a PS4 Pro. Then take into account the amount of knowledge you have about PC hardware components and throw that into the equation.

Also most people don't want used parts. Even if they are open to the idea of used parts they need enthusiast-level skill in PC hardware to even know what to look for as far as performance and the condition of said used piece of hardware.

>It also ends up being a lot fucking cheaper over time.
I agree with you here except non-enthusiasts have no idea what torrenting is. File this one and used hardware purchasing under things that have no place in this comparison. But people are turned off to the high initial investment.

>It doesn't take any fucking skill anon.
Yes it does. The average person does not know how to assemble a computer and load an OS. You can say it's easy all day but people don't know how to do this and probably are not interesting in learning. And no it doesn't make people lazy or stupid, its a skill that needs to be researched and developed. Most people have jobs with their own bullshit they have have to keep up with.

This is why PC gamers are seen as nerdy autists

t. a PC enthusiast
>>
Cheaper and less bugs
>>
a 400$ console gives you the same result as a 1000$ gaming PC

other than that, I just don't like to wear out my PC which I use for working with gaming. It gets hot, it's bad for you pc lifetime. And it separates work and gaming by having separate devices.

If you want to use a PC, get one you use solely for gaming
>>
>>59148965
This is decent bait, even though it's just throwing stuff around.
>>
>>59141469
For the same reason people use Windows instead of Linux, despite having all the freedumbs available to you, as an user.
It's a pain in the ass to setup, more often than not.
>>
File: 1442114466874.jpg (34KB, 645x859px) Image search: [Google]
1442114466874.jpg
34KB, 645x859px
>>59147552
>T. Assmad seppo
>>
>>59149152
although I agree for gaming PC I disagree for linux. Unless you want some autismo distro Linux is easier to install. I swear every time I install windows for myself, my parents, my gf there are tons of driver issues. When I installed mint it just werked, all drivers perfectly installed, even the Fn keys worked.
>>
>>59149152
But normies can just buy a laptop, a Xbox controler, install the game and play. Exactly the same as on a console.
>>
>>59149194
A $400 laptop (less factoring in controller) will not perform anywhere near a PS4 Pro or Xbox 1.
>>
>>59149192
Only if you are lucky enough to get hardware compatible with Linux.
>>
>>59149368
Like normies care about that...
>>
>>59149368
It will if it has an external GPU.
>>
File: 9_n.jpg (41KB, 720x652px) Image search: [Google]
9_n.jpg
41KB, 720x652px
>>59149192
>Have to edit text files and all kinds of bs after spending hours on google to get drivers working
>Have to compile software from source code to install simple apps.
Will always be behind the curve for supported popular applications
>Still requires console commands to change basic settings

All Linux distros are autismo maximo

>>59149429
>I want my gayming station to be able to play latest cowadooty and madden
Of course they do

>>59149443
lol laptop + USB-C/lightning desktop GPU adapter + GPU itself. Yeah good luck spending less than $1kusd on all that.
>>
So I can sit in the living room with a beer and play games instead of in my office on the PC (in your bedroom because you're 15 in your case)
>>
>>59141469
Most normies are too stupid to follow a set of instructions but USB c will simplify the process and make consoles obsolete.
>>
>>59149483
>Of course they do
A 400$ laptop just automatically adjusts the graphics and you can still downsize to 720p, which is more than fine for a normie.
>>
>>59149483
>>Still requires console commands to change basic settings

ok that is still true unfortunately. Like how much effort is it to make a GUI for the settings...
>b-but I want more customization
it would be enough to have just a basic settings for everything, with the option to still do your command line autism
>>
>>59149491
>instead of in my office on the PC
ayy this guy doesn't know what a media center is!
>>
File: 1469555463483.jpg (19KB, 255x195px) Image search: [Google]
1469555463483.jpg
19KB, 255x195px
>>59141469
the only PC games I play anymore are old as fuck games that don't require much to run.

who laptop/PS4 here?
>>
>>59149571
>who laptop/PS4 here?
well I guess many people including me
>>
>>59149483
Laptop manufacturer's will probably bundle external GPUs with their laptops in the future to compete with Chromebooks.
>>
File: 344_n.jpg (84KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
344_n.jpg
84KB, 720x960px
>>59149542
No it's not. The average normie has a 50in HD (or 4k) TV and want good graphics at ~30fps. Good luck finding a laptop under 1k that can play latest AAA games at 1080p and higher at high settings at around 30fps and will continue to do so for the next 4-5 years.

You know you can still prefer PC gaming while also acknowledging the pros to console gaming...
>>
>>59149636
>The average normie has a 50in HD (or 4k) TV
Because the're like sheep and buy whatever is thrown at them.
>want good graphics at ~30fps
They think 720p is good graphics and can't distinguish between 20 and 30fps, tho.
>>
>>59149636
No one owns a 4k TV.
>>
>>59149483
>>Have to edit text files and all kinds of bs after spending hours on google to get drivers working
Can you give a single example of a driver that requires hours of research to get to work?
Most things just works, at least more often than on any other OS.
The only kind of drivers I have ever had issues with was proprietary drivers for graphic cards, but installing that was never a hard thing to do, even before we had automatic installers for that.
>>Have to compile software from source code to install simple apps.
Popular software is compiled and you can install it through a package manager, for something like ubuntu, you compile the software on their build server and then other people can install it on their system,
Creating a package is not as hard as you think it is.
>Will always be behind the curve for supported popular applications
Depends on the field I suppose.
If the only reason you have a computer is because of a software project you cannot run, there is obviously no reason to run the OS, it would only be in your way.
>>Still requires console commands to change basic settings
So?
Is this a problem?
There is also graphical applications for most things, but you are clearly ignoring them, but why is it bad to have a text interface as a backup?
Say you fucked up with your graphics drivers and suddenly you cannot get X to work.
Logging in a tty and fixing the problem from there is a lot easier than booting a live usb to fix it using a graphical tool.
And multiple tools to fix a problem is never a bad thing.
>>
>>59141566
If they're so powerful, why can't they run any game at more than 30fps?
>>
>>59149564
It is not 2005 anymore.
Buzzwords have moved on.
>>
>>59145708
>>want to customize the controls further
>>no options, all presets
Fun fact: you can actually fully remap a ps4 dualshock from the system settings, so it doesn't actually matter how much control customization any particular game gives you.
>>
File: 1s27wxco1_540.gif (214KB, 540x258px) Image search: [Google]
1s27wxco1_540.gif
214KB, 540x258px
>>59149796
>Can you give a single example of a driver that requires hours of research to get to work?
Too lazy to provide source and will admit this is anecdotal from last time I attempted to install kubuntu in 2010. Audio drivers for a PCI sound card had people who said they got it working and just gave pastebins for code you had to figure out yourself. All just to listen to some music.

>Creating a package is not as hard as you think it is.
I don't want to have to compile software. I have no knowledge of software coding or even what a compiler does. On the many other OS's I use I don't have to compile software. Saying that it's "not that hard" is subjective and isn't a good response to someone new to Linux.

>Is this a problem?
Yes. I know plenty of Windows and OSX commands but am never forced to use any of them to configure my systems the way I want. Sure I think the option should be there but not having a GUI alternative in 2017 is unacceptable. I shouldn't have to research commands and syntax for an OS if I am not an admin or not doing anything advanced.
>>
>>59149813
What? You don't have XBMC configured to stream movies and series at 1080p for free, free cable TV, shortcut to games and emulators previously configured to automatically run on fullscreen and other apps? What a pleb!
>>
>>59145708
Providing those options are entirely up to the devs, nothing really to do with the consoles themselves.

Why would you need to find a retailer to get a pass?
>>
>>59149905
Really? You're citing your experience from 7 years ago?
>>
>>59149059
You're fucking stupid.
>>
>>59148354
>an autistic little nerd that can't help but screw with every little setting, tweak and patch before you start playing.

literally every PC gamer
>>
File: IMG_1091.gif (2MB, 200x243px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1091.gif
2MB, 200x243px
What is advertising, pricing, exclusives, and marketshare.

Tfw wanting a console for getting out playing sports games but I know they suck
>>
>>59141469
Price. Build me a PC that will run Dark Souls 3 on the same quality like PS4 for 250$ with brand new parts and I will gladly buy a pc.
>>
>>59154773
Typical dumbshit console kiddie response. Go spend your $250 on a cure for your down syndrome. Retard.
>>
File: topkek.jpg (39KB, 761x801px) Image search: [Google]
topkek.jpg
39KB, 761x801px
>>59154835
Salty mustard race. Let me annoy you with my macbook pro too.
>>
>>59154835
its been a while since I seen someone this buttmad
>>
>>59154887
>>59154874
It's been a while since I've seen someone this mentally retarded. When was the last special olympics?
>>
>>59154946

Exactly what is so retarded about this? >>59154773

Seriously I'm curious
>>
>>59141605
That was really interesting, thanks. I think they really have a point about our education system- the way things are, you can't effectively learn math in the US without going outside the school system.

And this is coming from an American who is fairly good at math.
>>
>>59155092
This. I am a pc user myself and always thought of pc as being intended for people with more time, money and knowledge who want to tinker and such, while consoles are for people who would rather just enjoy the games in the easiest way availible. Why is the latter option wrong? It hardly invalidates the former- to the contrary, it fills a separate niche.
>>
>>59141469
am i on /v/? fucking hell
>>
>>59141499
completely agree, why the fuck would you buy smoothies/milkshakes/blended drinks while out. They overcharge you for asshole. Have you even seen pulp fiction you fucking dumbass
>>
>>59141499
>Make smoothie
>Drink smoothie
>Have to make another smoothie

>Build PC with Lego level logic
>play Vidya from couch
>Never have to build PC again for 8 years

Also
>Being a poorfag
>>
>>59148583
>>59148724

Apply the same logic to cooking, anons.

Now tell me anons, why don't you cook if it's so damn simple that even a cave man can do it?

There's your answer.
>>
>>59141469
Its way less effort to just get a console
>>
>>59155884
>Have to make another smoothie
It takes just a few fucking minutes, retard! It's faster to make a smoothie at home than to go all the way to the store and buy it.

Do you also complain about wasting a few minutes every day just to use the toilet or take a shower?

>Never have to build PC again for 8 years
>8 years
>8 YEARS
Get off my board, grandpa.
>>
>>59141469
SOME
>>
>>59155884
You'll at least have to buy a new gpu in 3 or 4 years
>>
>>59141803
>tfw cross platform online play
>smash noobs with my joysticks and mouse
>>
>>59141499
Not that Anon, but
>implying I don't
>save money
>better quality
>tailored to my tastes
>literally the only drawback is one initial purchase/research kick that shouldn't take more than a few minutes
>>
File: ye.png (834KB, 542x919px) Image search: [Google]
ye.png
834KB, 542x919px
I really want a gaming PC but just can't afford it right now. Had to save for my $250 PS4

I would need everything for a pc setup as well. Desk, kb+m, chair, mousepad etc.

Only normies can afford a fucking pc fuck you rich fucks.
>>
>>59156614
enjoy being poorer buying your $60 console games
>>
File: 758_n.jpg (266KB, 960x764px) Image search: [Google]
758_n.jpg
266KB, 960x764px
>>59156841
>Dropping over $1k > $250
>As long as you don't have to spend $60 every couple of months

What did you meant by this
>>
>>59141469
Let me know when you get FFXV or KH2.8 running on a PC.
>>
>>59156890
enjoy being poorer buying your $60 console games
>>
Why does
>At least 1000$ to build a decent PC
meme is still relevant?
This isn't early 2000th, you can build a PC that shits all over PS4 pro for ~500$, even cheaper with used parts.
Thread posts: 151
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.