[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>le I only need 100% multiprocessing le meme serial performance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (113KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
113KB, 500x375px
>le I only need 100% multiprocessing le meme
serial performance will be always required on interactive applications
unless you never actual sit on a computer and only encode x265

stupid people have the delusion it's a matter of progress
it's not a matter of progress, it's a mathematical fact you will always require serial performance on CPUs
this is because interactive application must always adhere to the rules of a global loop

you can cry all you want to your mommy for your next game to be "100% multiprocessed" but it will never happen kiddo
it's how mathematics works.
you will always need strong threads not only in gaming, but in anything that requires human input, including setting up your Photoshop before you actually render, which is 99% of the time you actually use a computer
>>
I'm a game developer and I keep trying to tell people this but everyone's too stupid and desperate to see the truth
Processor speed increases have been slowing way down, but the hardware companies don't mention it at all, everyone acts like it doesn't matter with multithreading but even if you go through the massive pain in the ass of making your engine perform efficently with multithreading the performance gains are minimal
>>
>>59132488
>Processor speed increases have been slowing way down
Wait
You mean last 10 years there were speed increases?
>>
>>59132524
in 1995, you had 200 mHz
in 2005, you had 2 gHz
in 2015, you're not even reaching 4 gHz
>>
>let's try to move the entire sound engine into a new thread, that owe to give a few percentage points of performance automatically right? no harm done
>oh wait, now I have to mutex lock the main thread on 10,000 different places, slowing it down in order to not segfault every few moments
only if you don't actually use a computer at the time you can fully multi-process it, or you could even make it worse off.
>>
>>59132651
get your unit prefixes right, retard
>>
>>59132410
Sweetie, I don't care as long as I can get on facebook and play angrybirds :)
>>
>>59132688
>being pedantic makes me intelligent
quality contribution champ
>>
>>59132713
Pretty much this.

We've reached the point where extra performance is required only by people who have serious money.
>>
>>59132651
>le giggahurtz is all that matters mememe
>>
>>59132410
If you mean Virtuoso and Spectre there's a reason why they can't be parallelized in transient simulations. But even then APS actually parallelizes most calculations and initialization for large enough circuits.
>>
>>59132732
it's what's most important, multithreading is the meme, it has massive diminishing returns and is much harder to program for
>>
>>59132720
>feeling offended by someone else politely pointing out a mistake
>>
>>59132713
Casual detected.
>>
>>59132804
is calling someone a retard polite?
>>
>>59132885
have you forgotten which website you're shitposting on?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.