[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I will soon be in need of buying a notebook and want to escape

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 07 Dolphin File Manager.jpg (155KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
07 Dolphin File Manager.jpg
155KB, 1280x800px
I will soon be in need of buying a notebook and want to escape the W10 botnet by installing Linux on it. Now as I'm a fucking faggot I want it to be as Windows-like as possible, with much comfyness and little command line bullshit. I'm going to code, work and occasionally play some vidya, is Kubuntu the best distro for me? It looks extremely comfy
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (120KB, 705x353px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
120KB, 705x353px
Seems like an Apple laptop would be fine for your needs, since it has no botnet and has 'comfyness and little command line bullshit'
>>
I recommend Linux Mint over Kubuntu. Try both in a Virtualbox before committing. Mint will be more commonly seen because Cinnamon is a very popular and well-rounded DE.

If you're going to escape botnet, might as well learn some commands. They aren't difficult and honestly you can google anything you don't know. If that's what you plan on doing, Linux Mint would fit you perfectly fine.

If you aren't willing to do that then >>59128339
>>
>I'm going to code
>I don't want command line bullshit
Are you a web developer?

As for the bistro, don't use anything with KDE as your battery will hate you. Pick something light like XFCE (Xubuntu), LXDE (Lubuntu) or Openbox (#!++ or BunsenLabs)
>>
>>59128260
>play some vidya
You should use Windows.
>>
>>59128339
Thanks for the suggestion but
1. I'm a poorfag
2. If Macs are as unconfigurable as iPhones when compared to Android then I can't go for it
3. I will probably have to make a second partition with Windows for legacy stuff so Mac would be problematic

>>59128374
>>59128375
Thank you for your suggestions, will check those out. I'm not unwilling to learn commands. I'm not a web developer, I'm on university and are a retarded code monkey with some Java/Android experience
>>
>>59128260
If you are a programmer, I would recommend using the dolphin file manager over anything else.
(you can use whatever DE you like)

What I do:
open dolphin for the first time.
remove links I would never use.
remove menus I would never use.
Set the previews etc to your liking.
but most important: open the terminal (f4).

The terminal is what sets it apart other file managers.
You get in the habit of using the terminal for a lot more stuff this way and you realize that "command line bullshit" is neither hard, inconvenient or limiting.

As for KDE distros, I think you will find neon to be better if you want ubuntu based.
>>
>>59128432
> 2. If Macs are as unconfigurable as iPhones when compared to Android then I can't go for it
What kind of configuration are you talking about? macOS is a lot of configurable than iOS, but it depends on what you're trying to achieve

> 3. I will probably have to make a second partition with Windows for legacy stuff so Mac would be problematic
Actually, Macs come with a built-in tool that can install Windows for you, and it will include all the required drivers. After all, you're buying the machine, not the OS.

If you are able to work with the terrible settings management Windows has, you will be able to work with commands really easily. In any case, you will most likely not 'need' any commands for installation or daily usage, it's more that the CLI lets you do things faster and better than a GUI would

Don't listen to this anon >>59128586
Dolphin is part of KDE, which is resource intensive (as mentioned before). I have no idea why he thinks those features are exclusive to Dolphin, but they're not.
>>
>>59128260
>Kubuntu the best distro for me?
Probably, I'd try out xfce as well though. Also, ignore this try it out in vbox nonsense, you can install any DE with literally 1 command, and installing on bare metal gives you a much better feel of things.
>>
Linux Mint, not kidding

I've never had an install as easy as Mint. No driver issues, no media codec issues. It jest werks. Even if I install windows there will always be a handful of drivers not working.
>>
>>59128260
>Kubuntu
use kde neon instead, kubuntu's kde is broken as fuck. neon is basically kubuntu lts with newer kde packages
>>
>>59129074
btw download the one with the cinnamon desktop environment it's nice
>>
>>59128957
>What kind of configuration are you talking about?
Not being able to do shit. I've used Macs for like 3 minutes total so can't say much but I'm kind of a power user, for example I love how riceable Android is, not to mention root, adaway, xposed, yesterday I installed IR blaster software and at this moment am operating my old as fuck music tower with my phone, compared to this iPhones kind of suck. Maybe Macs are better but heard they are similar
>>59129099
Thanks, I'm torn between mint and KDE neon now
>>
>>59129164
just try it out, you can just create a bootable USB stick. Mint cinnamon was really the first linux distro+de I felt was really on par with windows and apple in terms of the general "feel" of it. It's still linux, you can still customize everything to your autistic likings but you don't NEED to.
>>
>>59129164
You won't have a problem with macOS in that way, should even allow you to do more extensive stuff than Windows. Pretty much the only limitation it has is that you can't install themes
>>
>>59129164
Mint is the same as Ubuntu. Would strongly recommend Xubuntu over Mint, it's slightly less likely to break
>>
>>59128260
both kubuntu and linux mint are good
try out both
although i've had weird problems on mint it's more amateurish overall
>>
It doesn't matter much.
If you always want the newest software, then install something arch based, like arch, manjaro or antergos. Or fedora

If you don't care about newest software, go with something Debian based. Ubuntu or mint.

The look and feel doesn't really depend on your choice of distro, you can make them all look like each other.
>>
>>59128260
>code
>no command line
playing with scratch.mit.edu alone won't make you a programmer, anon

anyways, just install Linux Mint or Kubuntu

(there really is no difference between Debian based distros other than the pre-installed DE)
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.