[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can someone explain this shit to me? you need a server running

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: ubiq.jpg (40KB, 1500x938px) Image search: [Google]
ubiq.jpg
40KB, 1500x938px
can someone explain this shit to me?
you need a server running fucking java to manage it?
i can't just point it to a radius server?

any good wifi aps? what does /g/ use?
>>
>>59112445
>any good wifi aps?
Fucking millenials, everything is app this, app that to you fucks
>>
>>59112459
wow aps as in the plural of ap which is an initialism of access point.
>any good wifi access points? what does /g/ use?

if you pretend you were trolling i will humor you.
>>
Unified has a cloud based management option that's super robust. You need to have a controller someplace though. Best is windows running it as a service.

IT company I work for has 40+ client locations all ready to go. You can also get notifications if an access point goes down, or if a black person connects to the guest wifi. I love ubiquiti
>>
>>59112509
what little i have read suggests its mandatory?
says on the site if i don't have a server i should rent an ec2 node to do it?
to me that sounds pretty cancerous.
>>
>>59112535
Well, shouldn't there be at least 1 computer on site with the system? It doesn't have to be on all the time. If it's your main workstation or just a laptop, use it to configure the AP'S and then just shut it off once they know what they're doing
>>
>>59112509
>black
You mean like non-whites?
>>
>>59112580
ok sure i guess, manual says for standalone i have to configure it through a mobile app i was like wtf.
whole thing is pretty retarded though why is it written in java. not sure i can trust it now.
>>
>>59112699
>written in java. not sure i can trust it now.
Would you trust it if it was written in C or C++?
>>
>>59112445
We use ubiquiti aps at work, very easy to get a mesh set up and its all mamanged from a web portal.
>>
>>59112750
yes.
why would software to manage network equipment require java?
if its used in the management 'software' why wouldn't it be in the actual hardware?
why would an embedded system run java?
>>
>>59112841
>yes.
Why? Do you really think C/C++ programs are inherently safer?
>>
>>59112445
Ruckus, but they're expensive.
>>
>>59112852
no i find java deceitful.
it used to be advertised as how portable it was.
well the JIT runtime is written in c, so why not just write whatever you want in c. if the JIT was written in asm and there wasn't a c compiler written for that particular environment/architecture then sure, its great.

i retract my earlier statement, if i knew the firmware on the AP was running java i would trust it less than if it ran C because of the runtime overheads.
i trust the company less because of the requirement of installing the java runtime and software in order to provision the AP. why can't i just plug, ssh, point to existing infrastructure/copy setup from existing ap.
the ap already supports ssh connections.
seems pretty simple to me but oh well.

i can understand the value of the management software but i don't see why it should be mandatory.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_Java
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_time_Java
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javacard
>>
>>59112591
Yep
>>
Ubnt is great for SMB and home users that want more but don't want to OpenWRT everything.
Throw the appliance on a VM and be done with it.
>>
>>59112984
This whole management software fiasco is the whole reason I decided against buying a few of these for my network. Not worth the headache in the end.
>>
>>59113099
This.

Ubnt doesn't give a shit about you if you're an at home 'lol i put a custom tomato on my asus' kind of user. If you don't already have virtualization infrastructure in use at home to run the appliance on, go somewhere else.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.