[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how long would it take to make an operating system that surpasses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1483342162311.png (224KB, 447x489px) Image search: [Google]
1483342162311.png
224KB, 447x489px
how long would it take to make an operating system that surpasses windows and OSX and every linux distribution? what would you desire in such a thing?

what is the ultimate feature set for a desktop operating system?
>>
>>59108231
however long it took to develop templeos
>>
>>59108231
No gui
>>
>>59108231
The obsession with the os is based on it being your point of interaction with your PCs.

If you turn your third eye to what you actually use your pc to accomplish you will find that you already have what is necessary.

>lots of discussion about hammers
>no idea what to fasten with nails
>/g/
>>
completely 3D gui
3D web browsing
VR compatible
>>
>>59108835
What does 3D get you? Most people think 1d when presented with a 2d screen. There's no Xerox parc 3D research for os makers to rip off
>>
freebsd is the only king that we need

use it and contribute, make freebsd threads and keep it valid. we will do it together
>>
>>59108231
>what is the ultimate feature set for a desktop operating system?

LainOS
>>
>>59108231
Surpasses them at what? What functionality does Linux lack at the OS level that you could add that would make a significant difference (aside from a microkernel)?
>>
>>59108692
>open thread
>intending to make a templeos joke
>joke was already made

:(
>>
>>59108835
What you have described is a desktop environment, a web browser and probably a display server. There is no need for OS level modifications to achieve this.
>>
>>59108810
They're a bunch of brainlets who don't know shit about technology so they latch on to low-hanging fruit discussions like this where they can just regurgitate the same talking points over and over again.

In terms of actual, practical usage, the big three are the same unless you're a simpering child that falls apart without a wiki to spoonfeed you every step of the way.

>nb4 "but <operating system> has this one luxury feature I can't easily replicate on another platform and I'll literally kill myself without it because it's like soo critical to my workflow(TM)"
>>
>>59109084
lol dude are you for real? I'm not a computer engineer. I just want to be able to surf through stacks of data with lights everywhere like in movies
>>
>>59109123
We all do, I'm just trying to steer people away from thinking that every grand paradigm shift must be done at the OS level, when it reality, operating systems are glorified resource managers that do their jobs perfectly fine as is.
>>
>>59108231
Fuck off, Rustnigger, we don't need another slow as fuck system.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.