[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this the best build tool the C/C++ field can manage?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: slider-cmake.png (33KB, 410x232px) Image search: [Google]
slider-cmake.png
33KB, 410x232px
Why is this the best build tool the C/C++ field can manage? The scripting system sucks, and unless you use Visual Studio the project files it spits out are glorified wrappers around makefiles.

Yet somehow, this thing is still better than everything else out there.
>>
>>59104346
The problem is that nobody has yet realized that you'd want a library DSL instead of a real grammatical DSL, because at the end of the day you'll need that flexibility.
>>
>>59104346
>>59104379
Oh, and if you still want to go for a declarative DSL, there's meson.
>>
>>59104346
false, the best is GNU Make
>>
>>59104450

CMake generates GNU Makefiles
>>
>>59104596
I know
>>
>>59104395

>meson

cool, yet another build system that assumes that windows users want to bother with the command line and an external scripting language dependency.
>>
>>59105520
>cool, yet another build system that assumes that windows users want to bother with the command line and an external scripting language dependency.

As soon as your project becomes non-trivial, you will have to do that anyway.
>>
I love CMake.

What's could actually be done better?
>>
>>59105659
It could be a library instead of being its own halfassed DSL #994859 for a task that requires an actual programming language as soon as you get over fizzbuzzing.
>>
>>59105563

It is not a forgone conclusion.
>>
>>59105659

The domain specific language desperately wants to be declarative, so when you finally get to a point where that's no longer suitable, you quickly run into trouble. Trouble that can be overcame if you put in the time, but trouble nonetheless.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.