[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that all major advances in CS and real world programming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1484912483825m.jpg (58KB, 1024x1011px) Image search: [Google]
1484912483825m.jpg
58KB, 1024x1011px
Why is it that all major advances in CS and real world programming have been done by people without CS degrees?

I am tempted to stop any formal CS study at all and just study maths and being a code monkey. This seems the optimum path.
>>
>>59098753
breakthrough in medicine is not discovered by doctors either, what is your problem?

Most fields can get stuck researching their own ways for so long it gets hard to discover something new.
>>
>>59098753
Because a degree doesn't make you smart. It just means you paid enough money and did enough homework to get a slip of paper. Those people are actually intelligent, unlike you. Please continue down your path and drop all of your studies because of a few guys who did something different
>>
Are you retarded? Most of the advances within CS is by CS people.

Ever read an algorithm paper by anyone but a computer scientist? I mean yeah ok, 40 years ago a lot of the advances was by people from other fields because cs wasn't established but it is now.
>>
>>59098851
>Ever read an algorithm paper by anyone but a computer scientist

Yeah his name was Edsger Dijkstra and he had a PhD in theoretical physics.
>>
>>59098879
No you haven't read his paper, fuck off. Someone asking something this stupid won't be able to parse mathematical expressions.

Again, that was before CS was established. Now CS is churning out paper after paper by computer scientists. Ritchie and Dijkstra as much as I love them will become more and more the exception rather than the rule.
>>
>>59098928
>IAmVerySmart

I get your point, but I don't think he's talking about papers. He means successful people.
>>
>>59098753
>Why is it that all major advances in CS and real world programming have been done by people without CS degrees?

They haven't....do you even know what the ACM and IEEE are ? There members are responsible for pretty much every single thing computer related.
>>
>>59098753
>>I am tempted to stop any formal CS study at all and just study maths and being a code monkey. This seems the optimum path.

CS is a math degee though.
>>
>>59099007
Most CompSci graduates can't even solve differential equations when they're done with the degree.
>>
>>59098962
If by successful you mean made a lot of money, you don't need to be an expert in any field to do that. You just have to be a smart entrepreneur or business person.
>>
>>59098928
Not entirely, there's a lot of dual research now where a mathematician sits with a CS grad student and they make crazy AI or ML shit.
>>
>>59098815
This until about 25 years ago a cs guy was just a mathematician that liked machines.

Half my profs were phds in math not cs. That will change though as ai and quantum computing gets bigger
>>
>>59099031
Can they code the solution though?

Many math graduates also can't solve differential equations, calculus is a small and uninteresting corner of math for mathematicians. (pretty much everything about them have been found) it's mostly only used by engineers and in physics.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.