[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't keyboard manufacturers put the numpad on the left

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: SVcdZnd.jpg (386KB, 4032x2076px) Image search: [Google]
SVcdZnd.jpg
386KB, 4032x2076px
Why don't keyboard manufacturers put the numpad on the left side? I mean most people would agree that having your mouse as close as possible to the keyboard is the norm and it would be great if you didn't need to keep adjusting your wrists to type properly on a full sized keyboard.

You could by a TKL or a 60%, then again You'd lose data crunching or hotkey capabilities a lot. Then again, you can buy a dedicated numpad but it really feels awkward when it keeps moving around.

Why is it so hard to find a decent keyboard with great ergonomics or a detachable numpad without having the retarded gamer look?
>>
Probably because most people were used to using hand held calculators with their right hand
>>
>>59097511
I've always hated having to let go of the mouse to use the number pad with my right hand. Using my left hand doesn't work either because of the way I usually sit, causing an extremely awkward angle, as if I'm typing on it sideways.
>>
>>59097495
Going to have to side on the reason that it is because most of the world is right-handed. Same reason the mouse is always on the right side. I think designers made an efficient design. When you use your calculator, do you use your left hand or your right hand mainly? I am left-handed, but having the num-pad on the right works fine IMO. If it were on the left it would throw me off. I would no longer be able to punch in numbers without looking like I can now.
>>
>>59097495
I have to agree. The numpad gets in the way of the mouse. But the arrow keys and page keys should stay where they are.
I'd also like an over sized keyboard. The current standard is what I'd call teen sized.
Sure it gets the job done for most. But I'm a 6'2" wide framed, strong fat. But such is life. Hunching over benches and squeezing into things, and wearing baggy cloth otherwise my midriff will show.
>>
>>59097556
>I would no longer be able to punch in numbers without looking like I can now.
That's a relatively trivial thing to overcome.
>because most of the world is right-handed. Same reason the mouse is always on the right side. I think designers made an efficient design.
You're mostly correct. This goes back before the mouse. Keeping a design that's not too much of an issue is easier than re investing in molds ect.
The addition of the mouse is what makes this layout cumbersome.
I personally have my mouse just right of inline of my shoulder. And pull my board over when typing to be as much centered with the space bar as I can. But this creates conflict with the mouse pad. Pushing it out to the edge of my keyboard slidey thing. Then I've got t push everything back over to the left to begin using the mouse again. Without the numpad where it is I'll gain another 100-120mm of space.
>>
>>59097495

Left hemisphere is responsible for controlling the right side of the body.
>>
>qwerty
gross
>>
File: smuganimeface.jpg (107KB, 551x600px) Image search: [Google]
smuganimeface.jpg
107KB, 551x600px
>>59097621
>I'm a 6'2" wide framed, strong fat.
>strong
Sure thing, lardass.
>>
>>59099884
Fat people usually are super strong because they literally are squatting 200kg (440 punds) everytime they squat. and lift 100kg with one hand every time they raise themselves from sitting.

there have been tons of people who made the mistake of thinking fat people are not strong. There is no fat guy who is not strong.
>>
That's

a weird layout alright. But to be honest with my current setup it would make more sense.
>>
>>59097621
>I have to agree. The numpad gets in the way of the mouse.

What about us who put the keyboard in a keyboard drawer and have the mouse on top . No issue there.
>>
right side numpad is retarded.
>>
>>59100858
pls no
>>
>>59100858
Have fun with your shoulder pain sitting at a desk with your body turned like that
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.