[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to pick a good general purpose programming language that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 6786.C_sharp.png (6KB, 371x254px) Image search: [Google]
6786.C_sharp.png
6KB, 371x254px
I want to pick a good general purpose programming language that I can always use when I need or want to do some project be it for work, research or fun (a game, physics/life simulation). I want it to be fast, because I'll also be doing some ML and data analysis. I programmed sporadically during the last decade for school and uni and I was quite good with these low-level projects, but I'm pretty ignorant. I decided on C# as I figured it might be a good compromise between speed and modernity. Is it? (I'm clueless) And is it a good pick or would you recommend something else.

Also I think it's possible to write a program in C# and then write some speed-critical parts in C++. Could near C++ performance be reached this way? If yes, then how does one go about it, i.e. what tool to use to create a two-language program?
>>
> Using microcuck programming language jew

rofl
>>
>>59095760
Reminder that haskell == microsoft research
>>
>>59095760
nothing wrong with c# for a beginner

>>59095715
stick to all c# with your program and then learn how to wrap functions from dlls or named pipes for ipc across your c# program and c++ program if you're very committed to the act of having two programs, that's very silly though, that will slow things down and you would be better off sticking to all c# for what you are doing

there are more chances for an inexperienced programmer to slow down c++ and not have the knowledge to fix, or to profile what they have done and fix. c# is pretty straightforward and easy to fix if you cause a slowdown doing things
>>
Don't fall for the "everything is slow and bloated except C++" because that's only true if you're a really really good algorithm designer and have at least a vague understanding of assembly. Things are only bloated in C# and Java if you're a shitty programmer who goes into C# and Java thinking that they're going to solve all your problems and you don't have to worry about memory efficiency or what the overhead of the library function you're using is.

Of course there are some things like processing of a huge amounts of data or analytical algorithms that only really make sense to be done in an environment where you have low-level access to memory and you should still do them in C++, but 99.5% of code will run "near C++ performance" and often times exactly as fast (and rarely faster if the C++ library is poorly-written, which definitely does happen) in Java/C#.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.