[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What should I take /g/, Computer Science, Computer Engineering,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8

File: nice.jpg (7KB, 220x147px) Image search: [Google]
nice.jpg
7KB, 220x147px
What should I take /g/, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Electrical Engineering?
>>
Death
>>
>>59088010
get a math degree. compsci is a meme
>>
>>59088010
Hint: Do some research on each and choose based on that

I mean seriously will you let anons choose your career for you? For fuck's sake.
>>
>>59088030
Elaborate?
>>
>>59088044
True, I mostly want to hear some anon's opinions and experiences is all

Also I live in Canada if that makes any difference
>>
compsci is much different from engineering and software engineering is just code. If you want to touch any hardware do EE or CPE
>>
>>59088070
I would like a mix of both, would CPE be best?
>>
>>59088010
CE or EE
>>
>>59088053
pseudoscience.
look into it.
compsci is the latest religion/fashion/faggot degree that'll do absofuckinglutely nothing when trying to find a job.
>>
>>59088010

go for Business Administration and get a GF u fucking loser
>>
>>59088085
EE is the most general so has the widest job market. With an EE degree you can get a CPE job. A CPE degree will limit your job market but that not necessarily a bad thing if you want to do CPE stuff.
>>
>>59088099
Not OP here but I took compsci and I got job offers the next day
>>
>>59088125
Alright i'll keep that in mind
>>
>>59088010
bleach. take bleach and die you fucking homo

>>>/adv/
>>
Compare this (Engineering - computers and software):
http://pdf.courses.qut.edu.au/coursepdf/qut_EN01_31528_int_cms_unit.pdf

To this (IT - Computer Science):
http://pdf.courses.qut.edu.au/coursepdf/qut_IN01_31534_int_cms_unit.pdf
>>
>>59088010
None

Do Networking
>>
>>59088010
CS is good, assuming it's a good program. Very employable.

EE is excellent, but hard. You'll have to learn good programming skills on your own, be side you won't lean them in this course. Very employable.

CE is pretty good, mostly just a specialty inside of EE. Employable, but more of a specialty.

SE is absolutely worthless. It's not Engineering, not CS, not math. It's a BS version of a business dept MIS degree.
>>
>>59088277
What jobs would a CE major expect?
>>
>>59088010
What do you want to do?
What kind of job do you want and what kind of field interests you.
They are all different, and they all overlap in some way, the most important thing is what they intend to shape you to become.
Research how your uni interprets the different educations (like get a list of the subjects or semester descriptions).
Then find a job description and see if that sounds like something you would want to do when you one day is done.
>>
Most CS jobs cross with SE jobs
At my Uni (prominent engineering school), the curriculum are almost identical minus 1 class
>>
>>59088349
Here we have a lot of work in robotics, mostly employed by previously CE students.
Others go into vision projects, or other form of automation.
>>
>>59088053
You're in 4chan, there will always be people hating something without any reason, and will tell you "arguments" like faggot, cuck, or something they made up or exaggerated.
>>
>>59088173
Ahh fuck. Somebody help me

I genuinely can't decide between CE and CS

I love mathematics, the software side and theory of computers but I also want to deal with hardware systems and low-level programming and design of electronic devices. The ideal is being working on something like TOR. I want to understand the software and security but also the hardware.

At QUT, they have the best engineering department but IT is just.... Lackluster and I'm worried that it's going to be unsatisfying.

What is the best option?
>>
File: imag0360.jpg (1MB, 3264x1952px) Image search: [Google]
imag0360.jpg
1MB, 3264x1952px
>>59088010
>What should I take /g/, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Electrical Engineering?

Muh engineering soulless shit.

Join http://www.risd.edu and make art, you pleb.
>>
>>59088010
gender studies
>>
Mechatronics, Mechs and AI the best man
>>
>>59088010
Definitely not EE if you want a job
CE if you're willing to learn all kinds of cool low level shit then wind up taking a high level code monkey job (most likely web dev) because that's the only kind of entry level job available
SE or CS if you want the easiest path to a code monkey job

Anything but SE will do if you want to go into academia, though for that, you should get research experience while in college.
>>
Drop everything and go into sound engineering.

I swear to God: easiest high-paying job in the world. I feel like I'm stealing from people most of the time.
>>
>>59088010
Depends on what you want to do.
Find a job that you would like to do and look at job postings.
They will specify what degrees they prefer.
If you go in with half assed expectations then you will get half assed results.
>>
>>59088814
There are plenty of internships you can apply for that pay pretty well. If you live in the states look at usajobs for federal job postings.
>>
>>59088693

>RISD

fuck off, RISD produces nothing but failure and shit, even Johnson & Wales churns out more productive/useful people.
>>
>>59088010

Don't go to college you stupid fuck

Learn it yourself. I have $0 debt and make a ton of money in IT.

Don't be a faggot, seriously.... non-IT people who work on computers are faggots.
>>
>>59088693
>reads OP's post on a monitor designed by an engineer, connected to a computer with parts designed by engineers, over an internet designed and run by engineers (and sysadmins), and then proceeds to type his troglodytic artfag shill post into his keyboard, which also happened to be designed by engineers.
>>
>>59088010
is that really the correct way to attach an cooler to an cpu?
>>
I'm doing CSE. Computer Science & Engineering. It's the best option. Do you not have that?
>>
File: 1487891929464.png (260KB, 484x658px) Image search: [Google]
1487891929464.png
260KB, 484x658px
>>59091245
>>reads OP's post on a monitor designed by an engineer, connected to a computer with parts designed by engineers, over an internet designed and run by engineers (and sysadmins), and then proceeds to type his troglodytic artfag shill post into his keyboard, which also happened to be designed by engineers.
>>59090588
>fuck off, RISD produces nothing but failure and shit, even Johnson & Wales churns out more productive/useful people.

Works of art live for centuries, works of enginecucks are getting dumped after 1-2 years.
>>
>>59088125
I agree with most of this except that I don't feel that it will limit your job market any meaningful amount. If you have a CompE/EE they'll consider you for positions requiring either.

CompE here.
>>
>>59091245
network engineers*
>>
>>59091320

>Works of art live for centuries

Yeah, if you're among the 1-2 out of several million artists who produce anything worth keeping. Most art just gets tossed and forgotten within a week since most of it's just trash.
>>
>>59091387
You are not Steve Jobs too.
>>
>>59091406

Never said I was. Point is, artists have deluded themselves into thinking that they'll actually be remembered by anyone because "art is irreplaceable", despite the fact that what they produce is next to useless and often a drain of resources. Engineers have no such pretensions, but they know what they do is important for functional society.
>>
>>59088030
>studies math degree
>no jobs
>end up in a JS framework bootcamp
No thank you
>>
>>59088010
Top tier:
>Computer Engineering
>Software Engineering

OK tier:
>Computer Science

Literally WTFRUdoing tier:
>Electrical Engineering
>>
>>59090653
Learn what exactly and how?
>>
>>59091387
>>59091406
You both have a point, but start sounding childish when you start cartooning each other
>>
>>59088099
>>59088030
I think this is just a meme or something.
Every other person I have ever talked to or interacted with either in real life or online says that comp sci is the way to go. Only on 4chan have I ever seen people say otherwise.
>>
SE is pretty much CS without the theory. I can't speak for everywhere, but I go to an ABET accredited school and that's what it is here. The CS students go on to take shit like robotics and higher math, while the SE students take classes focused on agile programming, working with enterprise systems, writing clean code and testing. btw both paths include algorithms, database, and networks, so the SE students aren't missing anything fundamental.

If your goal is to be a software developer, then why not take classes that prepare you for actual software development?
>>
Do you get hired as Cisco engineer?
Do you need a CE diploma or can you just study Cisco program and find a job?
>>
File: 203432.jpg (120KB, 1061x518px) Image search: [Google]
203432.jpg
120KB, 1061x518px
>>59091762
Maybe they're just dumb
>>
Just don't do SE. It's a shit degree. If you can handle it, just double major in CS/EE. That's absolute true GOAT master race.
>>
if your'e just trying to get a good job, do SE. It's got the same power as a CS degree but you will have a heads up because you took more practical courses.

If you're going to academia, or want to work on cutting edge shit, or want to do strictly low level programming, then CS or EE is better.
>>
A real mans job. Mechanical engineering.
>>
Social Engineering.
>>
What ever you find to be the easiest.

If you do something you love for a paycheck, your job will suck all the joy out of it and you'll grow to hate it.
>>
>>59088657
>want to deal with hardware systems and low-level programming and design of electronic devices
you just answered your own question
>>
>>59088010
God tier
>EE
>CE

Mid tier
>CS

Meme tier
>IT
>SE
>>
>>59090653
$20k/yr as first line tech support is not a ton of money, pajeet
>>
>>59092882
in terms of $$$:

god tier:
CS
SE

mid tier:
CE

shit tier:
IT

good luck finding a job tier:
EE
>>
>>59092799
Then you're not doing something you love.
>>
>>59088096
This
>>
>>59088010
Be like me and take medicine.
Either that or go for Bioinformatics.
>>
>>59088010
go to trade school
>>
>>59088030
Calling compsci a meme is the biggest meme of /g/ and /sci/
>>
>>59095120
t. jobless computer 'scientist'
>>
>>59094424
>in terms of $$$:

>shit tier:
>IT

Don't I know it
>>
Get Machine and Production Engineering or something else useful.
>>
>>59088010
Nuclear engineering
>>
File: barakah npp.jpg (271KB, 600x397px) Image search: [Google]
barakah npp.jpg
271KB, 600x397px
>>
>>59091762
they got swindled and want other people to suffer too. mathematicians are well known for being problem solvers, compsci produces code monkeys. you know which employers (of well-paying jobs) prefer?
>>
>>59088010
Electrical engineering, easiest, most profitable.
>>
EE is a very good degree to have, but takes a lot from physics and math, so be sure to have a very solid foundation with them if you decide to study it.
>>
CS if you want to code.
EE if you want to solder.
CE if you're not sure which one you want to do.
No one actually knows what SE is.
>>
>>59088814
>CE if you're willing to learn all kinds of cool low level shit then wind up taking a high level code monkey job (most likely web dev) because that's the only kind of entry level job available
I'm in my final semester of CE and this is what happened to me.
>>
File: 1448518416276.png (13KB, 418x359px) Image search: [Google]
1448518416276.png
13KB, 418x359px
>Get a master's in computer science
>Can't get a job
>End up working in a flower shop for 2 years now

Mfw
>>
>>59089247
>Recommending no jobs
>>
Can someone explain why exactly SE is shit?
>>
>>59094449

>Wide eyed youthful optimism

Enjoy having your career grind you down.
>>
>>59088010
T. 70 rank pointer
>>
>>59088010

electrical engineering. It will also help you with computer science when/if you do decide to learn how to program. But knowing how electricity works and all of that is the real shit nigga
>>
File: 1477105505082.jpg (22KB, 500x396px) Image search: [Google]
1477105505082.jpg
22KB, 500x396px
>>59091626
AINT THAT SHIT THE TRUTH ROFL
>>
File: 1479832882113.png (139KB, 425x552px) Image search: [Google]
1479832882113.png
139KB, 425x552px
>>59092255
>australia
fuck off kangaroo, we don't deal in dollarydoos here
>>
EE's are in high demand right now.
>>
>>59088010
Electrical engineering. It's the only REAL engineering degree there.
>>
>>59098106

Your resume or CV is crap or you are socially awkward to the point where no one wants to work with you. Either that, or you just live in an area with no tech jobs and you are too scared to get off Mom's tit so you refuse to relocate.
>>
>>59088657
>The ideal is being working on something like TOR. I want to understand the software and security but also the hardware.
TOR is 100% software
>>
>>59088030
done this. going through this >>59091626 right now because i dont have enough tenacity to go through the hell that is a math phd, and i don't want to be a teacher in school. currently i am tutoring rich kids so i am not completely lost.

the real meme is that "a physics or math degree can land you a good paying job in the tech industry"... BULL FUCKING SHIT. unless you are the top of your class (who is already full of geniuses), no one cares. tech companies only pick top math and physics students because they (rightfully) assume them to be smart as fuck and can learn anything anyway. this can only be said about 1% of all physics and maths students.

OR you could take another degree (economics or actuary or some shit) and only then will the math/physics degree impress anyone.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.