[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would the CPU market be like if Cyrix managed to keep making

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: whatwentwrong.jpg (57KB, 641x322px) Image search: [Google]
whatwentwrong.jpg
57KB, 641x322px
What would the CPU market be like if Cyrix managed to keep making competitive x86 CPUs?
>>
They probably would have died anyway with mom-and-pop white boxes as prices began to fall dramatically in the early 2000s.

Depending on what you did they were already hit-or-miss even in their most "competitive" era, Cyrix chips had hilariously god-awful floating point performance, though they made up for it with very good integer performance that made them excellent for general home/business use that at the time made very little use of floating point math anyway.
>>
The CIII was a piece of shit by the way and not even a Cyrix chip other than the logo VIA stuck on it. Any good Intel or AMD offering would blow that thing into the weeds, there's a reason you rarely see them out in the wild.
</autism>
>>
File: Ashes_DX12.png (9KB, 530x423px) Image search: [Google]
Ashes_DX12.png
9KB, 530x423px
>>59076810
What about VIA?
Could they possibly make a comeback?
>>
>>59076967
Comeback from where? Their hotted-up WinChips were always shit by all but embedded hardware standards.
>>
>>59076967
Why even compare "crazy" framerates on that hardware?
>>
File: via_epia_n700_2.jpg (91KB, 550x542px) Image search: [Google]
via_epia_n700_2.jpg
91KB, 550x542px
>>59076967
VIA only had some success in the very low power, very small footprint niche back when desktop CPUs started at 50W, mobile CPUs were expensive and mITX was exotic. But then Intel made Atom, and as shitty as early Atoms were, they were still better than VIA's chips.
>>
>>59078382
I'm pretty certain bonnel arch was worse than vias offerings but they haven't been able to compete since silvermont
>>
I had a Cyrix. It was pretty good but I believe they were pre-overclocked because it was unstable with minor overclocks, which is what underdogs usually do to appear better. It's why AMD is generally shit after a release when people actually use their products.
It's not their fault entirely and it's not Intel's either. Intel is just so good and it has their own Foundries.
But fuck AMD too. They are a cartel with NVIDIA, hogging the GPU patents.
Fuck everyone basically. They are all fucking patent hogs.
If they let all the foundries in with open patents, and you had players like Samsung into the chip making for Desktops, THEN you'd see progress.
Now we are in cartel-land 80% of the time.
>>
>>59076810
>keep making competitive
they never were
>>
>>59078405
IIRC Bonnell Atoms were slightly slower than C7 clock per clock, but they could have two cores in the same TDP and were cheaper because VIA never moved past 90nm.
VIA was also very late to recognize the market for cheap bare mITX boards for POS terminals and the like, and continued peddling $200 ones packed with useless ports.
>>
>>59078416
The 6x86 age was decent, for typical integer-heavy work they were very competitive, but they crashed and burned after a while with successively shittier chips based on the same old stagnant architecture.
>>
http://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/via-admits-cyrix/
>>
>>59076810
Didn't Intel lose two lawsuits against them?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.