[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly do jobs in IT field do in a company? >Database

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1441125367972.webm (3MB, 1000x625px) Image search: [Google]
1441125367972.webm
3MB, 1000x625px
What exactly do jobs in IT field do in a company?

>Database Engineer
read documentation of DB being used and configure, get paid $100k-150k

>Security officer
??? i'm guessing they set up firewall to block outer ip ranges, set up ssh keys and change ports? I dont see how some chief security officer can get paid $150k, can someone enlighten me please.
>>
>>59076151
These are the two positions I've held in my career. There are a wide variety of skill levels and responsibilities for both.

The better you get the more you get into architecting larger solutions.

Have you ever designed the back end of a multi million dollar product that needs to report on terabytes of data subsecond? How many servers do you need, how will you set up disk configurations and optimize memory? Will you normalize your data? What other systems does it need to interact with? How do you handle inserts, updates and deletes? How do you handle disaster recovery? And so forth....

Have you ever designed and implemented a scalable enterprise domain solution to support thousands of users and pass SOC auditing? Do you set up on AWS, Azure or another platform? What firewall rules do you need and where will you apply them? How do you patch software? How do you handle redundancy and failover? Do you scale up or out? Etc...

How do you monitor, update and support these things? The larger and more complex a system grows, the more support it will require to maintain or implement new ideas.

Anyway, they are both complex jobs that most people don't usually have insight into. Most of my co-workers are engineers that switched into IT, and the pay is much better. This confession has meant nothing.
>>
>>59076258
So basic lego building but instead if you fuck up you make some company go bankrupt?
>>
>>59076277
There's a lot of scripting to get to an automated state. Both require a deeper understanding of systems, not just plugging things together. Additionally I have used lots of SQL, C# and powershell.

If you do fuck up you can botch contracts due to security failuers, so yeah you could blow the company. See any major company that's had a data breach.
>>
>>59076314
After how many months of working for a company did u reach a point where you were just lurking on 4chan and your scripts handled everything?
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.